Why Dream Theater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only people in this thread who'd be correct are those saying this is a useless thread that will Turn into a sym x VS dt flame and those who say that Dream Theatre are pioners of Progressive Rock/Metal!
---
But if you wan't my opinion entirely, with all do respect they're sound is special, and the way they sound makes them very special, this being because they started it all (or where one of the bands who started it all) They are very skilled in numerous ways... If you are a hardcore Symphony X fan you'll probably like DT, but not as much! Which is fine, not all DT fans like Symphony X as much! It alld epends on your specific style, Symphony X has more flavour in their songs... DT has more... DT'ness in there songs-Simple!

proulxski said:
The only people in this thread who'd be correct are those saying [...] that Dream Theatre are pioners of Progressive Rock/Metal!
With all due respect, that's just seriously wrong... there had been Progressive Metal before there was Dream Theater, namely Watchtower, Queensryche and Fates Warning, and Progressive Rock had already existed for 20 years when they formed.

The Stormbringer said:
With all due respect, that's just seriously wrong... there had been Progressive Metal before there was Dream Theater, namely Watchtower, Queensryche and Fates Warning, and Progressive Rock had already existed for 20 years when they formed.

I don't think it's at all wrong to say that DT were "pioneers of progressive rock/metal". Without a doubt, Watchtower, Queensryche and Fates Warning all were around before DT. But those early prog metal albums, IMO, were not very accessible (musically) to most listeners, including me. Images and Words, however, was very accesible; there was a tightness combined with well-written songs that immediately clicked with me (and obviously many others) when I first listened to it. To me, I&W was one of those rare albums that made me say "This is what I've been waiting for!"

That being said, going to the start of the thread, DT is probably a little over-rated, and bands like SX and Threshold should be mentioned on par with them. But you have to give DT credit- they became good musicians at a young age, have toured relentlessly, and do other things that keep fans very interested (for example playing different sets, not discouraging bootlegs). Granted they are fortunate that their position in the industry allows them to do those things.

Force10 said:
That being said, going to the start of the thread, DT is probably a little over-rated, and bands like SX and Threshold should be mentioned on par with them. But you have to give DT credit- they became good musicians at a young age, have toured relentlessly, and do other things that keep fans very interested (for example playing different sets, not discouraging bootlegs). Granted they are fortunate that their position in the industry allows them to do those things.

Agreed.

Force10 said:
I don't think it's at all wrong to say that DT were "pioneers of progressive rock/metal". Without a doubt, Watchtower, Queensryche and Fates Warning all were around before DT. But those early prog metal albums, IMO, were not very accessible (musically) to most listeners, including me.
Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree here. Granted, Watchtower is a really special case, but the early FW and QR albums are very accessibly in my opinion, QR even moreso.
"Operation: Mindcrime" has got to be more accessible than, say, "Images And Words" (still easily one of my top 5 favourite albums) due to the lack of quirky instrumental interplay and over-the-top longtracks, and it contains the same big melodies and powerful vocals.

proulxski said:
Dt isn't the king Pioner, but there are amoung them! The actual Dream Theatre style was differ from the other stuff, which is why they'd be special!
I agree that the early Dream Theater albums were very innovative, but it's not like they didn't have their inspirations back then... parts of WDADU essentially are DT trying to be Rush, while I&W is somewhere halfway between Queensryche and "Perfect Symmetry"/"Parallels"-era Fates Warning... just compare "Metropolis Pt.1" and FW's "At Fates Hands".

The Stormbringer said:
"Operation: Mindcrime" has got to be more accessible than, say, "Images And Words" (still easily one of my top 5 favourite albums) due to the lack of quirky instrumental interplay and over-the-top longtracks, and it contains the same big melodies and powerful vocals.

Mindcrime is more accessible music-wise, but I don't care for it...it seems like sometimes they just used shocking or obscene language just for popularity purposes. Which isn't my cup of tea, because I think you get your point across a lot better if you use that sort of thing more sparingly.

arglebargle said:
Erm, I can only think of one obsenity they use on the entire album.
We're both thinking of the one in "Spreading The Disease", I assume... can't think of another word anybody could find offending either.

On the other hand, O:M is a story told from the perspective of a junkie unable to come to grips with the society surrounding him... highly sohpisticated language wouldn't have been the fitting choice in the first place if you ask me.

Yeah, that's the one.

And I agree with you, the gritty nature of some of the lyrics fit the music and concept perfectly... eloquent flowerly language wouldn't have gotten the point across as well.

arglebargle said:
Erm, I can only think of one obsenity they use on the entire album.

Maybe only one word--but there were a lot of extremely nasty ideas. I know others may enjoy the album, but I really don't.

Rose Immortal said:
Maybe only one word--but there were a lot of extremely nasty ideas. I know others may enjoy the album, but I really don't.

I get what you are saying Rose, I personally find the whole obscene language thing very cheesy, however you would have to admit that DT uses more obscene language than QR. Just listen to "As I am" and "Burning My Soul" and you will see what I mean. This is why I have to give some kudos to bands like Shadow Gallery and SX for having the ability to write agressive music without having to stoop to that level. Just my opinion.

proulxski said:
they started it all (or where one of the bands who started it all) They are very skilled in numerous ways... If you are a hardcore Symphony X fan you'll probably like DT, but not as much! Which is fine, not all DT fans like Symphony X as much! It alld epends on your specific style, Symphony X has more flavour in their songs... DT has more... DT'ness in there songs-Simple!

You suck

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree here. Granted, Watchtower is a really special case, but the early FW and QR albums are very accessibly in my opinion, QR even moreso.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.