Symphony X + Doom = AWESOME!

CantoX

Mar 10, 2006
Kuwait
www.myspace.com
So I'm checking out a bunch of user made wads for Doom (the 1995 PC game) and I come across one called nochance.wad.

I start it up and.. what's this? Absence Of Light is playing in 16bit! I was like, woah! Awesome!
I checked the .txt file for the wad and the owner says he doesn't know what the song was and that he just found it and put it into the game!

Random Symphony X find lol. I'd post a video out it but no one has this wad recorded. Check the wad out here if you're into Doom:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15937

Just thought I'd share.

I hate to be this guy, but how's the gameplay for this wad? Good level design? I remember that on the official ones released under final doom, plutonium sucked ASS, all kinds of problems with missing textures and the like. The levels seemed solid, but it was a huge disappointment as an add on.

It's called nochance because you have no chance lol. It's not a real level design kind of thing, it's a giant level with loads of monsters and you have to try to survive it all. I can't survive more than 40 seconds, but a lot of guys on the doomworld forums say they can beat it on hurt me plenty! I walked around the level with iddqd and idclip and it is absolutely insane. The guy who designed the level is sadistic.

I'm not into Plutonia that much either, but Final Doom: Evilution is actually pretty challenging and fun. That one was released by id.

Wait, I might be confusing my doom history but what exactly is evilution? I remember there being a .wad called TNT? That shit was golden, had some amazingly frustrating levels that were suuuuper well designed and just totally fantastic period, lots of fun to do in multiplayer too (in fact, came to be the go-to co-op for my buddy and I). I may be getting the name wrong, but i remember it being an independant level design that was picked up by ID and released alongside plutonia and was frankly probably better in design than classic doom.

Any help? Also, if it's separate, more info about evilution would be appreciated!!! God I love Doom, one of the best games of my childhood and it stand up to this day!

Wait, I might be confusing my doom history but what exactly is evilution? I remember there being a .wad called TNT? That shit was golden, had some amazingly frustrating levels that were suuuuper well designed and just totally fantastic period, lots of fun to do in multiplayer too (in fact, came to be the go-to co-op for my buddy and I). I may be getting the name wrong, but i remember it being an independant level design that was picked up by ID and released alongside plutonia and was frankly probably better in design than classic doom.

Any help? Also, if it's separate, more info about evilution would be appreciated!!! God I love Doom, one of the best games of my childhood and it stand up to this day!

This help? http://teamtnt.com/ixfd.htm

I've heard a lot of good things about Scythe but haven't gotten around to playing it! Some of the fan made wads are actually pretty good. I'll be sure to get around to it sooner or later. Well, I just bought this Quakecon pack for Steam that has every single id and bethesda game ever made so far, and I think games like Fallout and Morrowind that I've never played are going to take up a lot of my time lol.

But in the pack there's this Doom game called "Master Levels For Doom II" that I never heard of before and some of the levels in there are downright awesome!

But of course the best doom wad is Chex Quest!

I was actually going to mention Scythe before you guys did. I'm actually one of the most hardcore DooM players around amongst everyone I know personally. I use Skulltag for all of my mods and levels.

I'm actually currently working on a mod that improves upon the work of others with the point of smoothing all the animations and improving various effects without losing the original oldschool "metal" feel of the game. When it's done I'm going to make a video of it.

When I was 13 I made a two level WAD that had Fallen and Church of the Machine in it. You can still get the file but don't play it, my levels sucked a little bit back then.

I've been playing Doom since I was 6 years old man!!

@ Lucius
What's the easiest/most up to date way to make wads/maps for doom? I'd like to try to make a level or two.

Shoot man I didn't see that you asked me that. Kind of a late reply but I would use Skulltag as the main engine, if you have windows Doom Builder 2 for map editing, and XWE for editing data in the WAD file.

This is not Doom related but within the last year I played the old PC game Syndicate (+ addon called American Revolt). The intro music is a straightforward 4/4 version of The Bringer of War by Holst. When I first watched the intro I went "whoaaah, Symphony X! Did Romeo play Syndicate while composing DWOT?"