Symphony X?

Brett

------
Aug 31, 2003
Ok, looking to get into some new bands I downloaded 5 songs from Symphony X and them being...

Inferno - great
King Of Terrors - awesome
Of Sins and Shadows - awesome
Wicked - pretty good
Incantations Of The Apprentice - meh, ok

and all I have to say is WOW! 3 out of those 5 songs are downright awesome/great.

Is this the cream of the crop or are there better songs by them?

Also, I'm getting convinced of buying albums but I want to get a couple of more songs under my belt before I do that. What are your FAV Symphony X songs and explain why.

Thanx.

Love your signature! That episode where Al went to the salon was classic! My favorite line was "I'm going to open a fire hydrant, stick my head in the water, and wash the gay away!" Ha haaaaaa!

Anyway, the songs you got are all great IMO. Of all of them, my favorite is "Of Sins and Shadows". If you like those songs then go ahead and buy any SyX album, except for the self titled debut (different singer (much different) & less than perfect production).

I would recommend starting off with "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" album, only because it has some of SyX's best music (including my personal favorite SyX song, the title track, which is absolutely incredible). Then I would recommend "V" which is to date their only concept album. The entire album is great, with some standout tunes such as "Fallen", "Communion and the Oracle" and "Rediscovery". Then "The Odyssey" would be a good place to go. "Twilight in Olympus" would be my 4th suggestion and then "The Damnation Game". Being a new fan, I don't know if you'd want to get the debut album. There are some good songs on there, but the really bad vocals and (incredibly) weak lead guitar grabs your attention and makes it hard to appreciate the songs. But if you become a fan of these guys like most of us here, you'll buy it anyway, just to experience it.

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with this band. They consistently put out albums where it's hard to find negatives about any song on the album. They are my favorite band and probably will be for life if they continue to put out quality music like they do.

Their next album is the only one from any band that I have any anticipation for.

I'd say to find these songs as well:

Smoke and Mirrors
Church of the Machine
Sea of Lies
Eyes of Medusa
Out of the Ashes
Dressed to Kill
The Damnation Game
Evolution (The Grand Design)

and if you wanna hear their more longer, epic songs try:

Accolade
Accolade II
Through the Looking Glass
The Edge of Forever

Incantations is generally one of the least favorite SX songs, so dont judge the band by that. The rest of the songs rule, and you can't go wrong with any of the songs listed above.

yeah what they all said...frankly every song by symphony x is completely unique to the next, and all of the suggestions posted are brilliant examples of what the band is about.

fools paradise is probly one of my favorite symX songs every time i pull that disc off the shelf. And rediscovery pt. 2. I mean, that album rules, but those two songs are what really sealed it for me originally... especially on rediscovery the part at the end...

"Choose the way, five paths there for you to find
turn the page, the question lies between the lines can we change?"

too bad that is like 12 minutes into the song

V is one of my least favorite SyX albums.

I recommend downloading the songs:
The Accolade
Through the Looking Glass
Awakenings
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Church of the Machine

All incredible songs. My order for getting CDs:
Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Odyssey
Twilight In Olympus
The Damnation Game
V: The New Mythology Suite
Symphony X (self-titled)

Just my opinion.

-Kronikle

The songs you have heard are generally their more heavier to the point songs. They have various types of songs that every metal band worth their salt should have. Epics, power ballads, heavy rockers, beautiful melodic and also heavy as fuck instrumental passages. Sym X are very majestic and you'll be blown away by Russell's singing.

All I can say is buy Divine Wings, Twilight, V and Odyssey. You won't regret it. Honestly.

They are the four most listened to albums in my collection. Sometimes I listen to Live on the Edge of Forever for variation - particularly for the vocal and instrumental embelishments added.

Symphony X are my favourite band and have been for the year and a half since I first heard them. Seeing them again live in London was the best gig I've ever been to. If you like what you've heard so far of The Odyssey, the chances are you'll like all the rest of their material, for they are all similarly astounding. Don't get me wrong though - every track is unique and brilliant in its own way, but the Symphony X style is ever-present in all of them, and that is what makes them special.