Bands copying Symphony X ..

whyekong

New Metal Member
Mar 5, 2002
www.mp3.com
The thread on At Vance ripping Symphony X off got me thinking about other bands that imitated Symphony X.

Here are some off the top of my head :

Silent Voices - Beyond (Chapters ..) (similar to the main riff off Evolution)

Hemisphere - Mind's Door (similar to Smoke and Mirrors)

Have you guys ever come across songs by any other bands that sounds uncannily similar to Symphony X ?

I haven't found myself yet listening to a band that has an uncanny similarity to syx, i've heard lots of bands though from Black Metal to power and neo-classical influenced bands that use symphonic elements and synths on their music.

There is a band called Adagio that was influenced by Symphony X and is very close to the style. They are a great band, but obviously lack the originality of Symphony X. If you wanna check them out, try to download the song Inner Road.

Originally posted by Kalmakoff
Not copying, but similar: Dreamscape, kicks ass!

Yeah, Dreamscape sounds closer to DT than SX. However, I'm glad you pointed these guys out! I had heard of them but never actually heard their music. It's awesome! Very similar to I&W era DT (which I always thought was DT's best work by far). They have the progressiveness of DT but more melody.

I don't know if anyone is copying them. It's not like they came up with something so radically different to everyone else. Brilliant yes, but similarities I hear in other bands are probably due to similar influences (eg Yngwie, DT) since many of the bands that sounds like SX came out in the same era.

I agree that Adagio sounds an AWFUL lot like SyX. I also agree that they don't pull it off quite as well. Great singer, AWESOME technical playing on Keys and Guitars, but to me only a few of the songs are BETTER than average.

Also, someone beat me to the punch on Saying this, but to me Dreamscape is DEFINITELY more akin to DT's sound than SyX. I really like them though. Actually, I think the singer reminds me of later (ie less nasally) Geddy Lee. Great songs too.

Paul

Originally posted by mark_bwaite
Well what about Rhapsody??? They seem to go overboard with trying to imitate SX. I don't feel their up to the task. But the lyrics.......:rolleyes:

Rhapsody?!??!?!?!

Buddy, don't get me wrong here... but... Rhapsody has NOTHING to do with Symphony X...

I can't see any similarity between both bands...

Originally posted by †Russel Allen†®
Rhapsody?!??!?!?!

Buddy, don't get me wrong here... but... Rhapsody has NOTHING to do with Symphony X...

I can't see any similarity between both bands...

Man, I wish I coul repl properl
but eah, Rhapso sucks

ammit! :mad:

Symphony X don't really copy things... Not as well as I know...
I conside their material pretty original and fantastic... It IS true that Adagio play in similar style to Symphony X, but I'm not so sure about copying things...It's a strong word, you know :)

I would say though, that Adagio are obviously influenced by the X, as well as many other bands who play neo-classical metal.

And about Rhapsody - there truely is NO connection between the styles... Rhapsody play Heavy-Power Metal, and the X play neo-classical Metal... No connection between the two!!!!

heh, two bands i know that (ugh) kindda copies of SX:

Adagio and Akashic (wich is from brazil, my native country).

And hey...rhapsody has really nothing to do with SX, actually i cant even listen to rhapsody.

Tulio!