Bands copying Symphony X ..

I think copying is not the case unless a band really (and obviously) rips-off other bands (on purpose).

The fact that so many bands sound similar (I won't use the term clone), is because it's their preferred musical style, I assume. Symphony X have parts in their songs that remind me of other bands/songs too, for example, the chorus of "Inferno": after my very first listen to that song, it instantly and slightly reminded me of a song by Majestic (I still haven't checked which song it was that sounded so familiar...).

There's more Rhapsody-style sounding bands than bands that sound like Symphony X. Adagio are great but are a prime (SX) example, no bones about that, but they lack the (continuous) harmonies and melodies that SX have in their songs, and throw in too many breaks that ruin the flow of the obvious talent that they really have. I think that Adagio haven't found their "own" style yet. Maybe one or two more albums...
Rhapsody and the like don't have anything to do with SX's style!

The bands do what they are best at, but there'll always be "role models"...

"V" album's track 9 The Death Of Balance/Lacrymosa (one of the best tracks of V btw) includes a couple of guitar riffs strictly taken from Dream Theater's masterpiece "the Mirror". It can't be coincidence, because the similarities are so obvious.

Originally posted by blackstaRR
"V" album's track 9 The Death Of Balance/Lacrymosa (one of the best tracks of V btw) includes a couple of guitar riffs strictly taken from Dream Theater's masterpiece "the Mirror". It can't be coincidence, because the similarities are so obvious.

I'm sick of this whole SX stole the Mirror riff from DT thing. Listen to Pantera's Domination on the Cowboys from Hell CD....put out long before "The Mirror"....and you find the exact same riff. So did DT steal this riff from Pantera?

This riff is actually a pretty simple riff...I don't see what's so creative about it.

Originally posted by Yngvai_Malmsteve
I'm sick of this whole SX stole the Mirror riff from DT thing. Listen to Pantera's Domination on the Cowboys from Hell CD....put out long before "The Mirror"....and you find the exact same riff. So did DT steal this riff from Pantera?

This riff is actually a pretty simple riff...I don't see what's so creative about it.

I know that Pantera riff, but it's not so similar. That S X riff is totally similar to the D T's riff. Maybe D T originally got the idea from Domination, who knows, but it isn't "exact the same riff". Maybe I should listen to Domination once again.

Actually this whole thread is stupid.

No offense, but...
Can't you guys just take the band Symphony X and their music "as-is", and stop the whole "bands copying" stuff?
Sometimes I think that you are really SEARCHING for similarities instead of just ENJOYING the music "as is".

Yes, I agree... First when i heard SX i took them for a Malmsteen copy with all the neoclassical stuff, but then afterwards when i actually LISTENED to it (V and DWOT) i saw they were alot better than him.

Originally posted by Yngvai_Malmsteve
The guitar riff is exactly the same as "Domination". The time changes on the drums are different.

Just a few words about what we were discussing; actually the only similarity between before-mentioned Domination and Mirror riffs is continuous E smash, but in the Death of Balance/Lacrymosa those riffs I mentioned are arranged exactly the same way than they are in the Mirror. However, I also agree what "Lady of the Snow" said.

I'm a big fan of both SyX and Rhapsody, and really no similarities at all. And considering both bands started almost at the same time, I would hardly think they try copy off each other.

They have an original style, each on their own way, no one mixes classical music and metal better than Rhapsody (not even SyX, when compared Rhapsody everybody is blown out of the water including the Trans Siberian Orchestra), and what Sy X brings in to the Prog genre is unique and amazing.

So really there's not much that can be said about them, except that both have some of teh cheesiest lyrics ever.

PEACE...

All musicians are dealing with the same 12 notes. With all the millions of musicians on this planet, people are bound to come up with similar stuff just by coincidence.

Originally posted by SymphonyOfDreams
I'm a big fan of both SyX and Rhapsody, and really no similarities at all. And considering both bands started almost at the same time, I would hardly think they try copy off each other.

They have an original style, each on their own way, no one mixes classical music and metal better than Rhapsody (not even SyX, when compared Rhapsody everybody is blown out of the water including the Trans Siberian Orchestra), and what Sy X brings in to the Prog genre is unique and amazing.

So really there's not much that can be said about them, except that both have some of teh cheesiest lyrics ever.

Yes Another Rhapsody Fan!!! :D Well even though Rhapsody is cheesy sometimes they are one of the more complex bands out there.