Symphony X - Nevermore

After finally watching the lyric video and paying more attention to the lyrics, I have to agree that the song makes little to no sense. It seems the "there’s a theme that carries through, without it being storytelling" thing extends to the individual songs as well!

donKyle said:
russ sounds bored and uninspired on this track

Seriously. I tried not to put it so bluntly in the other thread, but that's pretty much how I feel. Not sure what it is exactly. It's like he was too conscious of not going over-the-top like he often did on Iconoclast and it caused a lack of feeling throughout the whole performance. The way he sings "strike a chord" in the chorus especially bothers me for some reason. I guess the melody itself is part of the problem, but man...

I'm not a fan of the band but I think this song is ok. What's wrong with it? Aggressive riffing, halfway decent vocal delivery albeit poor chorus, solid solo...

Look at the words you're using to describe it. Everything is "ok" at best. A song not being flat out terrible really isn't enough to make it worth people's time in this day and age.

chriscc said:
The first 13 seconds of the intro (just before singing starts) reminds me of seconds 10 to 23 of Evolution (The Grand Design).

Eh, don't really hear it. To me, the main riff sounds more like a bastard(of the machine)-ized version of The Turning.

The guitar playing is very impressive, definitely my favourite part of the track.

But as a composition the sense I get is "been there, done that."

This is exactly what you would expect from the #2 track on the album. It's a perfectly decent song, not their best, not their worst. Compared to the similar track on their previous albums, it holds up well (better than Wicked, at least as good as Set the World on Fire, but not quite on par with Evolution). No doubt the best of this album yet to come. :)

Allen's singing seemed a bit weak at first, but I like it after a listening several times.

This is exactly what you would expect from the #2 track on the album. It's a perfectly decent song, not their best, not their worst. Compared to the similar track on their previous albums, it holds up well (better than Wicked, at least as good as Set the World on Fire, but not quite on par with Evolution). No doubt the best of this album yet to come. :)

Allen's singing seemed a bit weak at first, but I like it after a listening several times.

Mmm, I don´t agree with your comparisons. The singing and the riffs are more creative on Wicked. It can be quite simplistic and it´s definitely not a masterpiece, but I think it has more groove and color than Nevermore, which I felt somewhat plain.

Despite that, I think it´s not as "single material" as Set the World on Fire, Nevermore is in some aspects more interesting and irregular.

Finally, Evolution would think of Nevermore like the admirable grandfather which is dissapointed of his wasted grandson. I don´t know if that make sense at all.

That´s only my opinion, but still you´re right, the best is to come (I really hope so) :popcorn:

I like it. The previous singles would be an obvious point of comparison, and I have to say I prefer both Set the World on Fire and End of Innocence to this one. But it's a pretty good song anyway.

Pick up any instrument, try to play this song, then tell me it "sounds amateur".

By "sounds amateur" I mean that even I can come up with more interesting structure of the song. Intro is short and not developed at all, altough I hope it`s connected to the outro of the Overture. Stanzas are nice but seem a little bit powerless (like the Russell is scared of these angry fans screaming "if you`re harsh you`re not really singing!!1!11" and it`s mostly problem of amateur bands, like I said), except the part from "On tragic wings I take flight" to "into depths unknwon", where the vocal is heavier. The chorus is okay, but absolutely nothing original, just typical powermetal chorus nr 13. Third stanza is very weak and predictable. Introduction to solo and solo is great. And 4:30-4:50 part is definetly the worst, I hate when bands do that. Even though Romeo is killing the guitar it still sounds bad.

By "sounds amateur" I mean that even I can come up with more interesting structure of the song. Intro is short and not developed at all, altough I hope it`s connected to the outro of the Overture. Stanzas are nice but seem a little bit powerless (like the Russell is scared of these angry fans screaming "if you`re harsh you`re not really singing!!1!11" and it`s mostly problem of amateur bands, like I said), except the part from "On tragic wings I take flight" to "into depths unknwon", where the vocal is heavier. The chorus is okay, but absolutely nothing original, just typical powermetal chorus nr 13. Third stanza is very weak and predictable. Introduction to solo and solo is great. And 4:30-4:50 part is definetly the worst, I hate when bands do that. Even though Romeo is killing the guitar it still sounds bad.

I disagree with all of this. First of all, just because something is formulaic does not mean it is amateurish. Some of the greatest musicians in history followed a specific formula.

If anything sounds amateurish in this song, it's the "on tragic wings" line. Sounds like they weren't sure where to go with the melody.

As far as the solo, it may be good, but it's Romeo paint-by-numbers: sounds like every other solo he's every played. I actually think some of the solo licks are nicked from different SX songs.

Just because you dislike "when bands do that" does not make it bad or amateurish, you just have a personal preference against it. The section at 4:30 fits the song and adds a much-needed dynamic change. As far as general SX songwriting goes, it's probably the most adventurous section in the entire composition.

I think the chorus is the best chorus they've had since Revelation. I also think a chorus in 7/8 for the first single is a ballsy move.

I disagree with all of this. First of all, just because something is formulaic does not mean it is amateurish. Some of the greatest musicians in history followed a specific formula.

I don`t think this song is amateur, but it sounds amateur. And by amateur, as I said, I mean there is almost no originality, power is little bit lacking and this awful 4:30 - 4:50 part with "much-needed dynamic change", which is just lame thing used by every band ever and it unnecessarily stretches the song out. By the way, isn`t the chorus dynamic changing already? So what`s the point? But the ending is quickly fixed by this nice outro reminding me Evolution.

It just doesn`t sound like 9th album of a great band, more like first steps in music world.

If anything sounds amateurish in this song, it's the "on tragic wings" line. Sounds like they weren't sure where to go with the melody.

Nope, "has brought out the night" is out of any melody and even it sounds like Russel just got lost in the middle of the sentence.

But still, that`s Symphony X. It`s tons of fun. I already love this amazingly stupid line "Eyes of stone rippin flesh from bone into depths unknown", it`s just so metal!

I think it's great. I believe Russell did the vocals they way he did is for the sake of the song itself.

Love the fact some Neo-Classical style of playing was thrown back in the mix. So how many of you the lyric, "Sea of Lies" in the beginning?
Romeo says the album goes back and reminisces some of the older albums all over the record. I wonder if that is an example?
Plus does the "Neo-Classical" lick sound familiar musically?

As far as the keyboards, more than likely they are playing the same thing as Romeo to give a thicker sound.

I think the record is going to be awesome and I am looking very much forward to it.

Too much in the vein of Iconoclast for me. I really hope the rest of the album is different from this. And more keyboards is needed!

The vocal melodies are very 'thrash metal.' I hear James Hetfield, in a bad way.

WHERE

IS

THE

KEYBOARD

DOES THIS BAND HAVE FIVE MEMBERS OR NOT

'Abandon hope all who enter here'

I don't know what I expected. Back to listening to Italians play jazz fusion I guess...

The lack of keyboards is the thing that worries me the most. I just don´t get how you as a composer, having as bandmate one of the most underrated keyboardists in prog, just ignore the huge quantity of musical possibilites that are in front of you. Possibilities that were beautifully executed in the first albums of SX. It was part of their sound...

Anyway, when Romeo talked about the album, I got the idea that this will be a diverse album. So I still have some faith in the rest of the songs of "Underworld".

Yeah, I've been playing Ascension a lot and I can't even imagine having that guy on my team and being like, "eh, we'll give him some chords to play and put them way low in the mix." Totally insane.

I also don't understand the defense of these sorts of tracks coming from the fans. We're talking about a band for which tracks like this:

were filler.

And a band whose keyboardist, left to his own devices, writes this:

I don't get it. I don't get why a band with this much talent would choose to play such mediocre music. I get they can play whatever they want, but...why.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a song doesn't call for keyboards, it seems better to keep them away or back. I don't think even Pinnella complains as much as you do, and even I assume he doesn't complain at all...

If a song doesn't call for keyboards, it seems better to keep them away or back. I don't think even Pinnella complains as much as you do, and even I assume he doesn't complain at all...

See, I just can't understand this attitude. To me, tracks like this just aren't defensible. If I have Pinnella as a bandmante, why the hell would I ever write a song that 'doesn't call for keyboards.' Much less entire albums that practically 'don't call for keyboards.'

Besides that, it's just not very good to begin with.