Symphony X - Nevermore

So how many of you the lyric, "Sea of Lies" in the beginning?
Romeo says the album goes back and reminisces some of the older albums all over the record. I wonder if that is an example?
Plus does the "Neo-Classical" lick sound familiar musically?
Yeah, he said there are three references from three songs from their third album. There's "sea of lies" and then "abandon all hope..." from DWOT. Not sure what the third one is. There's a lot of stuff that resembles "Of Sins and Shadows" lyrically, but no direct line.

The "neo-classical" lick sounds very similar to the end of the first solo in "The Haunting".

See, I just can't understand this attitude. To me, tracks like this just aren't defensible. If I have Pinnella as a bandmante, why the hell would I ever write a song that 'doesn't call for keyboards.' Much less entire albums that practically 'don't call for keyboards.'

This, 100%. The band has always had one guitarist and one keyboardist. Of course, you can't have equal balance on every single song, but there's no justification for the type of arrangement heard in this song. It might be deceptive since it's a little softer sounding than other recent stuff, but nothing matters except for the guitar. Even the most seemingly "pure metal" songs from Iconoclast had interesting parts for other instruments. Really this song is probably the most one-dimensional, Romeo-centric track in the bands entire discography. Even the vocal here comes off like an afterthought. Fairly lifeless melody and not a single harmony to be found. Neither are there any production effects added.

Lepond's parts are also as basic as possible. The only times he isn't doubling the rhythm guitar note for note is when the rhythm guitar drops out 1.) during the last section of the solo and 2.) during the choruses where he switches to doubling Pinnella's chords while Romeo is essentially playing a solo. Both times he's playing exactly what the guitar would have been playing if it were there. No unique parts anywhere in the song.

I just heard this and my impression is that...well... its okay. But as Xtipher said, it IS just the single. I prefer Romeo's tone to tge last two. I like how he kind if went back to that harsher, nore abrasive type of tone. As for the actual song, its not terrible. I just dont like the lyrics or the way they are delivered. It reminds me of Bastards or Prometheus... those terrible and abrupt 3 word verses. Theres no flow there. As for the actual lyrics theyre really not very good either. See rhyming evermore with nevermore :lol:. But the actual music, I did enjoy so I still have hope you guys!

We can all agree this is no TTLG hahaha

See, I just can't understand this attitude. To me, tracks like this just aren't defensible. If I have Pinnella as a bandmante, why the hell would I ever write a song that 'doesn't call for keyboards.' Much less entire albums that practically 'don't call for keyboards.'

Besides that, it's just not very good to begin with.

I agree with everything you're saying.

Just write a heavy, dark song that incorporates keyboards if you want something heavy and dark... think outside the box. Heavy and dark doesn't inherently mean no keyboards.

SX is becomming WAY too formulaic and unoriginal. There's absolutely zero creativity in this new track, and I fear we have another case of Iconoclast on our hands.

Great song that promises a great album. I really like the modern sound - it really fits them well this time. Rusell's vocals are straight to the point too, and the keyboard presence in the background going on there is also amazing, considering how Pinella was pretty much nonexistent on the previous record. Great to see Sym X back stronger than ever and coming up with great tunes these days. :)

I like it. The previous singles would be an obvious point of comparison, and I have to say I prefer both Set the World on Fire and End of Innocence to this one. But it's a pretty good song anyway.
Finally someone that makes sense here :) I'd say this new single is probably the best one they ever released up to this point. They're really topping the best-of Sym X lists. Ive never heard something this strong and well-performed coming from them before. I thought Iconoclast marked the end of the good old Sym X we all used to know, but here they are creating something really fresh and original that's coming straight to our ears and bombarding everything, which is good.

I was of the opinion that becoming modern means becoming too commercial or too much like "every other metal band out there", but this is certainly not the case with Sym X this time. Its really catchy and well written/made this time. They dont just make noise and shout nonsense, it really is showing their depth and diversity as musicians. Pretty sure its romeo behind the songwriting just like he always have been, and I must admit, he's writing some really kickass stuff here.

You guys, the ones criticizing the musical direction, because you refuse to accept that new direction - just open up your eyes and take a look around you. This is the new Sym X, accept them as they are, stop trying to make them go back to V or TDWOT. :)

I loved Iconoclast. Super heavy. Great production.
Nevermore sounds great too. Lots of guitar noodling. I miss Pinella on this track, but I hope the rest of the album has more diversity.
Symphony X is never bad. It's just varying degrees of greatness!

Symphony X is never bad. It's just varying degrees of greatness!
Couldnt agree more! To show you my appreciation towards what you just said, I'll put it up in my signature! Such a great paragraph, and phrased so well. Glad to know there are sensible fans like you around here!

I'm on board with the direction the band has taken for the most part as well. I think I've mentioned a few times that I really dig IC quite a bit, and it honestly doesn't get stale to me ears. Of course I wish we had a bit more diversity in the songs by unleashing both Pinnella and Lepond and letting them do more than being atmospheric sounds and copy/paste guitar parts. I am hoping that based on all of the bands comments to date on the album that we will be getting something more in that vein.

They have been my favorite band since I discovered the world of heavy metal in my first year of college and will continue to be no matter what they do. They've given me nearly 9 hours of music at this point (will get to 10 with this release I believe) that I will always be able to go listen to and enjoy. Even for the folks who don't like this album/song or that, I bet you can go through their discography and pick out at least 5 solid hours of the 9 total hours they have recorded to date that is pure bliss to your ears. How many bands can you truly say that about?

I'm definitely all about the folks that want to express their displeasure as well at the direction. It's their right as fans to be happy, disappointed, overjoyed, etc. at what they listen to as this is a subjective topic after all. The band may listen, they may not. I hope that there is enough great stuff for everyone out there to listen to though that they don't spend a large chunk of time lamenting the direction of a band that has given them so much all ready.

I'm on board with the direction the band has taken for the most part as well. I think I've mentioned a few times that I really dig IC quite a bit, and it honestly doesn't get stale to me ears. Of course I wish we had a bit more diversity in the songs by unleashing both Pinnella and Lepond and letting them do more than being atmospheric sounds and copy/paste guitar parts. I am hoping that based on all of the bands comments to date on the album that we will be getting something more in that vein.

They have been my favorite band since I discovered the world of heavy metal in my first year of college and will continue to be no matter what they do. They've given me nearly 9 hours of music at this point (will get to 10 with this release I believe) that I will always be able to go listen to and enjoy. Even for the folks who don't like this album/song or that, I bet you can go through their discography and pick out at least 5 solid hours of the 9 total hours they have recorded to date that is pure bliss to your ears. How many bands can you truly say that about?

I'm definitely all about the folks that want to express their displeasure as well at the direction. It's their right as fans to be happy, disappointed, overjoyed, etc. at what they listen to as this is a subjective topic after all. The band may listen, they may not. I hope that there is enough great stuff for everyone out there to listen to though that they don't spend a large chunk of time lamenting the direction of a band that has given them so much all ready.
Good point man. You see, there is not even one single Sym X fan who cannot find something to like about the band. They really, in every album recorded, there's something unique about each one of them. Although with PL, IC and this new album the direction seem to be very similar on all 3 - still you can see the difference. I'm totally understanding of fans who fail to find the new single enjoyable, and think this is a bad sign and the new album will suck as much as the single does for them. But, who knows, maybe the rest of the album has to offer what they're looking for.

I know not even 1 band in the world who have released material that is 100% enjoyable for me, or for anyone else. You cant be pleased with everything, and no band can please all the fans, etc. But, thats why you ignore what you dont like and pay attention to what you like - just like anything in general, not just music. I understand though, that fans who are disappointed at the single mainly because they hoped that the new material will be enjoyable for them, and so waiting for these years to hear something they dont like sure is disappointing as hell. I agree. But, thats why I said "listen a few more times, try to get into the music" kind of thing. Its for the benefit of others, and not me trying to say they're somehow doing something wrong by feeling disappointed over the new release. They have a right to, but they need to learn to get into the music before forming a conclusive opinion.

I personally, I listen to things many times before I make a decision. Especially with a band I normally like and an old fan of - Sym X.I wouldnt be disappointed so fast, because its just a single. Let's wait and see what the new album is all about. Who knows, it could be way different than what the single sounds like! :)

new song is cool, wicked guitar, tight drumming, great prechorus, average chorus...overall good SyX song! and thats all that matters.
i am so greatful they are still making music and i dont get all those people who want them to recycle old songs and sound....thats not art! guys are doing what they feel they wanna do and i wish they keep doing it that way...Romeo is clearly main songwriter so its normal that their music is more guitar driven, guy feels he wants to do heavy shit, let him do it!
What are u complaining aboul PL an IC, those are great metal albums! and When All is Lost is one of the greatest SyX songs, pure magic!
Every album they do something diffrent and i love that, i dont want them to become dream theater, to repeat themselfes andsound uninspired every time like DT are doing last few records..cant wait for Underworld....
Just be greautful SyX is still doing great music

i am so grateful they are still making music and i don't get all those people who want them to recycle old songs and sound....that's not art! guys are doing what they feel they wanna do and i wish they keep doing it that way...Romeo is clearly main songwriter so its normal that their music is more guitar driven, guy feels he wants to do heavy shit, let him do it!
What are u complaining about PL an IC, those are great metal albums! and When All is Lost is one of the greatest SyX songs, pure magic!
Every album they do something different and i love that, i don't want them to become dream theater, to repeat themselves and sound uninspired every time like DT are doing last few records..cant wait for Underworld....
Just be grateful SyX is still doing great music

This is exactly how I feel about it.
I want Romeo to write whatever he wants to. I hope they never try to compromise to please certain fans.

I like the harder stuff, and the more melodic stuff equally.
It's all good. Symphony X takes you on a musical journey through time and space.
It's complex, yet easy to listen to. Heavy, and at the same time melodic.
Romeo is a metal Mozart for our time.
A band like Symphony X is a band that comes around only once in 25 years.
I discovered them in 1995. They are still my all-time favorite band today.

Well, assuming that the label intentionally picked the most mellow and accessible song from the album as a single, I still have hope that the album will have a bit more depth. The song is okay, at best. The chorus, however, is unacceptable. It gave me the same disappointed feeling as Dream Theater's Forsaken gave me, when I first heard it. Such a primitive melody is unworthy of any prog metal band.

I like it a lot. But i know i am in the minority of being a bigger fan of the last two albums than the previous outings (i'm also a fairly new fan, only within the last several years). But i like this new track, and i am very excited to hear the rest of the album!

And I really like the fact that Russ is singing as opposed to growling the lyrics. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the direction the band has gone over the last couple of albums, although I still consider SX to be my favorite band. I hope his vocals are an indicator of a softer, more "progressive" sound overall. Can't wait to get this one!

horrible. i couldnt even finish it. the lyrics are embarrasing. what happened to this band?