Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

Halberd

Acolyte of the Machine
Dec 25, 2012
Utah
As you may have guessed from the title, this is a tournament-style vote-off among the 80 Symphony X songs to see which one comes out on top. Here's how it works:
Initial matchups will be randomly determined, and I will post four at a time in order to speed things up a little. Each song will link to its Youtube video, so that those who haven't listened to that particular song yet will be better informed.
Each member, including myself, may vote on each matchup once. The song that receives more votes than its opponent will advance to the next round.
After a week or so, I will post the results of the matchups, as well as the next four. Once I post the results, they are permanent.
All right, let's do this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRm2VNDetM]Incantations of the Apprentice[/ame]
Vs.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_YbguTUNQ]Candlelight Fantasia[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-hl-fuEV8]The Haunting[/ame]
Vs.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0cdGxGe98]Set the World on Fire[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmx6Gc6UOrk]Wicked[/ame]
Vs.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QtLbXeQkV8]Dehumanized[/ame]

Vs.

My votes:

Candlelight Fantasia
Set the World on Fire
Wicked
A Fool's Paradise

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, here's the entire tournament, in chronological number form, for my reference.

52, 28, 16, 60, 51, 71, 26, 47, 21, 43, 37, 72, 32, 3, 57, 5, 12, 23, 64, 77, 61, 78, 17, 48, 6, 1, 20, 67, 44, 80, 45, 15, 63, 31, 73, 10, 27, 39, 59, 75, 46, 41, 7, 25, 76, 36, 19, 34, 56, 18, 62, 49, 69, 13, 29, 4, 53, 9, 58, 24, 2, 79, 35, 14, 68, 22, 42, 65, 38, 70, 74, 40, 54, 55, 30, 11, 50, 8, 33, 66

Candlelight Fantasia
The Haunting
Wicked
A Fool's Paradise

The Haunting is classic SX - no way Set the World on Fire has anything on it.

Also, you'd get the same result if you just asked everyone their favorite straight away, which will likely be The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

^---Yeah, but it's more fun this way.

Incantations of the Apprentice
Set the World on Fire
Dehumanized
A Fool's Paradise

The first one was tough.

Great Idea! I love these sort of threads. :)

I'm not very familiar with the Haunting, so I'll have to give that one a quick listen first.

Okay, after that, my votes are:

1. Candelight Fantasia (Incantations has always been my least favorite from the Odyssey, not to mention I love Russ's vocal work on Candelight).

2. Set the World on Fire (This was tough, I loved some parts of the Haunting, but some portions of the verses and choruses (chori?) were a little odd. Overall, despite being more "commercial" as some would label it, I prefer STWOF)

3. Wicked (Criminally underrated song. Both are very groovy, but I like the way the former is executed more, not to mention the awesome acoustic break and the infamous SHE SAAAAAAIIIIID....!)

4. A Fools Paradise (Almost anything from V has an advantage for me, though in this case it's simply no contest. The Bach harpsichord/guitar duel is one of my favorite SX moments ever)

Postulate said:
Also, you'd get the same result if you just asked everyone their favorite straight away, which will likely be The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

Not necessarily. If I had to pick an all time favorite SX song, it would actually be Rediscovery.

Candlelight Fantasia
The Haunting
Wicked
A Fool's Paradise

The Haunting is classic SX - no way Set the World on Fire has anything on it.
Right on, man. Lyrically, it's one of the best things they've ever done. Great song all around.

Incantations of the Apprentice
Set the World on Fire
Wicked
A Fool's Paradise

I don't know what it is, but Candlelight Fantasia is one of my least favourite Symphony X songs.. of all time...

Not a big fan of Set the World on Fire, but I cannot get into The Haunting at all.

Wicked is crazy good. Not a big fan of the more recent stuff.

a Fool's Paradise for sure.

I don't know what it is, but Candlelight Fantasia is one of my least favourite Symphony X songs.. of all time...

I used to not like it either, then one day my ears decided it's a great song and I started to really love it. Same with Lady of the Snow. It's weird when that happens.

Not a big fan of Set the World on Fire, but I cannot get into The Haunting at all.

Wicked is crazy good. Not a big fan of the more recent stuff.

a Fool's Paradise for sure.

Agreed.

Neat idea, Halberd. Cheers to you for taking on such a task!

My votes:

Candlelight Fantasia
Set the World on Fire
Wicked
A Fool's Paradise

The hardest choice for me was actually Wicked VS. Dehumanized. Though I love Wicked and have much sentimental value towards The Odyssey album as a whole, I find Dehumanized to be one of (if not the) strongest songs on Iconoclast. In the end, Wicked wins due to it's main riff and the vocal run break that Russell used to do when they played it live.

Also, that "video" for Wicked is hilarious.

Candlelight Fantasia
Set The World On Fire
Dehumanized
A Fool's Paradise

The Haunting is one of my favourites from The Damnation Game and Set The World On Fire is one of the weakest on Paradise Lost... but PL is a very consistent album so even the worst songs are pretty good, and nothing on TGD except The Edge Of Forever can compete with most later Symphony X songs. Dehumanized vs. Wicked is pretty close, the others are easy decisions.

Candlelight Fantasia
Set the World on Fire
Wicked (this one was tough)
A Fool's Paradise

The hardest choice for me was actually Wicked VS. Dehumanized. Though I love Wicked and have much sentimental value towards The Odyssey album as a whole, I find Dehumanized to be one of (if not the) strongest songs on Iconoclast. In the end, Wicked wins due to it's main riff and the vocal run break that Russell used to do when they played it live.

This echoes my thoughts, as well.

Well, we're about halfway through the week, and it looks like all of my choices are winning- yay. I find it odd that A Fool's Paradise is winning so unanimously- I'd have expected The Witching Hour to have some fans, at least.
Also, should I update the matchups twice weekly instead of once? Sixteen votes is enough to make a decision, and at our current pace, the first round alone is going to take well over two months.

If I had to pick an all time favorite SX song, it would actually be Rediscovery.
Oh, yes. That's my favorite too, with DWOT coming in at a very close second.

Neat idea, Halberd. Cheers to you for taking on such a task!
*clinks glass*