Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

Definitely agreed on the twice a week decision. It'll take far too long the other way...

The question of interludes and preludes is a hard one, but I agree they should either not be included or be coupled with the following full song. But, since we've already used two of them here, there's not really any left. So, on with the show!

Sea of Lies
Prelude (yes, Bastards is that lame)
In the Dragon's Den
The Odyssey (I know it's random, but you should have put this against a REAL opponent, like DWoT)
The Accolade (my heart goes with Accolade, though I love Dressed to Kill and find it to be one of the best on Damnation Game)

All right, it's a bit early, but I'm posting it anyway. Besides, it's been over 24 hours since the last post, so...

Sea of Lies beats On the Breath of Poseidon 11-4

Prelude beats Bastards of the Machine 8-7

In the Dragon's Den beats Premonition 10-5

The Odyssey beats Absinthe and Rue 15-0

The Accolade beats Dressed to Kill 15-0

All of my votes advanced again this time, though Prelude was very close- but Sea of Lies is probably going to wipe the floor with it next round anyway. Also, Odyssey and Accolade have both, as expected, pulled out unanimous victories (it's a shame about Dressed to Kill, though)

Also, about preludes/segues being counted separately, my rule is that if it's put separately on the track listing, it's a song.
And now for the next three matchups.

Vs.

Vs.

Vs.

My votes:

Eve of Seduction
Light up the Night
Secrets

Also, I couldn't find any studio versions of Prometheus or Light up the Night, so instead there's a live version and some guy doing a bass cover, respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Prometheus (Funny how I hated this song at first, and thought it was the worst on IC. I'm still not 100% on it, but at the very least I find it more interesting than Eve of Seduction)

2. Domination (Not my favorite on PL by a long shot, but I can't deny it's an awesome headbanger, and the solo section is really cool; Light up the Night may be fast as hell and punchy, but it feels a little bland overall, and the pre-chorus is pretty lackluster)

3. Secrets (Once again, not going for an interlude, despite it being the intro to my favorite SX song)

Eve of Seduction
Light up the Night
Secrets

Had to think about the second one for a while since neither of them are exactly my favourites from their respective albums.

Eve of Seduction
Domination
Rediscovery pt. I - Again, this is not a song. Preludes, segues, interludes, etc. are not songs and can't be fairly compared to complete songs, just like a song can't be compared to an album. Having said that I personally still prefer this Rediscovery pt. I over Secrets.

Prometheus
Domination
Rediscovery pt. 1

1. I like Eve, but Prometheus is one of my favorites from IC (I love the mad science lyrics), whereas I find Eve average on PL.

2. No contest; Domination is in my top three from PL, whereas I think LUTN is the worst full song the band has ever written (excluding a special track from the debut album that will go unnamed).

3. Nothing against Secrets (it has some very unusual stuff for Symphony X, which I like), but Rediscovery pt. 1 is beautiful. No contest, full song or not.

Prometheus
Domination
Secrets

Rediscovery Pt. 1 is amazing, but it's way too dependent on the outro from A Fool's Paradise. Doesn't stand on its own like Prelude does.

Prometheus (Not too much to say, one of the most decent tracks of Iconoclast)
Domination (This was the toughest ever, both of my least favorites songs of all SX´s catalog. I don´t like at all Rusell´s pseudo-growls on Domination, but LUTN is too much noise for me. I also have felt the intro is too similar to Dragon´s Den.)
Prelude (Not a full song, I know, but, I easly prefer it over Secrets)

And thus ends possibly the most blah round of the tournament. Let's just go to the results, shall we?

Prometheus beats Eve of Seduction 7-6
Domination beats Light up the Night 10-3
Rediscovery pt.1 beats Secrets 8-6

Next four...

Vs.

Vs.
Reign in Madness

Vs.

My votes:

Into the Dementia
Of Sins and Shadows
Egypt
Death of Balance/Lacrymosa

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Into the Dementia. Shades of Grey is still silly.

2) Of Sins and Shadows. Not crazy about it, but I don't care for Sacrifice at all, save the acoustic outro.

3) Egypt. No contest.

4) Death of Balance. Tough one. I love both, but I love Death of Balance even more than Whispers.

Shades of Grey
Of Sins and Shadows
Egypt
Whispers

The guitar solo in "Shades of Grey" is a better guitar solo than "Into the Dementia" is.