Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

Rediscovery pt. II
The Edge of Forever
Accolade II
Orion

1. It's a shame that Awakenings is going to lose this, because it really is a perfect song. I love that the band decided to get jazzy and experimental, and the song flows extremely well. However, Rediscovery pt. II is probably one of the top five finest pieces of music they've ever written. That section in the middle with the bass and piano groove gives me goosebumps every time.

2. No contest. Smoke is an average at best power metal song facing off against a great, moody progressive track. Edge is simply haunting.

3. I love Frontiers, but it can't beat Accolade II. What I like about the former is that it is quite different from anything the band has ever done (musically and lyrically); it's almost "happy," in a sense. And the rhythm section solo is outstanding, as is that first verse. But Accolade II is perfect; I actually prefer it to the original. One of Romeo's finest solos, too.

4. What a joke.

Rediscovery Pt. 2 - nearly had to flip a coin on this one. But Rediscovery just barely barely edges awakenings out. The subtle keyboard and Russell's vocals dynamic is so unique and beautiful here. Why the fuck don't they write shit like this anymore?

The Edge Of Forever

Accolade II

Orion The Hunter
- I can't believe(or sadly I can) that Lords Of Chaos made it to this round.

Rediscovery II - My favorite Symphony X song!
Edge of Forever - I like Smoke and Mirrors but EoF is a tier above.
Accolade II - nothing against Frontiers but....
LORDS OF CHAOS - I actually like them about the same but everyone hates so hard on this song and I really like it so I will be the only guy who gives it a vote so that it can lose with at least a small shred of dignity...

Awakenings. Rediscovery is more stately, but Awakenings has that "holy shit" quality to it, and I'm definitely one for the theatrics when they work. It's a powerful ballad with a universally relatable theme without being overbearing or obvious..and that instrumental section! You're so cool, Michael Pinnella! :)

The others are obvious.

Rediscovery pt 2 - not in my SX top songs list, but surely a hell of a song
Edge of Forever - one of my faves.
The Accolade II
Orion the Hunter

Accolade II and Orion are not exactly my favourite songs, but Frontiers (which is not bad at all) and Lord Of Chaos (nothing more than a filler) are not up to them.

See, now it's getting hard

AWAKENINGS
The Edge of Forever
Accolade II (I love Frontiers, but there's no contest)
Orion (The fact that Lords of Chaos made it to a second round is sad)

Nah, this is an easy round. And I have all the same votes.

Awakenings - This one is really close, I love both songs, but Awakenings has more memorable moments (The piano from 1:20 to 2:40, the solos and guitar vs. piano parts from 5:15 to 7:00, the chorus is also better.)
Smoke and Mirrors.
Accolade II, easily
Last one, don't care.

Fools who looks for answers in a rhyme,
seeking out a lie, an illusion
I am the future, the ageless mutation!!!

This part always gets me pumped. Such a godlike song.

It has some brilliant moments. And I too see Rediscovery's lack of chorus as a good thing.

For me comparing Rediscovery to Awakenings is like comparing DWOT to The Odyssey. Both are great but the former just has that 'transcending' magic to it the the latter doesn't capture as much.

1. This is a tough one…but Rediscovery Pt. II gets the nod. It’s such an amazing ending to the best album in the world. I love how in the beginning, the guitar starts with the melody, then the keyboard doubles it, before the guitar starts playing the rhytm in another time signature then the keys. Polyrhytms ftw. I also love how often and smoothly the song changes mood, for example from the mellow “What have we done” at 2:13 to the aggressive, evil-sounding “ He’s taken form in human likeness” at 2:43. Incredible.

2. Edge of Forever. One of their best from Damnation Game, really good tune. Smoke is a good song, but rather standard and unspectacular.

3. Accolade II. Frontiers is great, but Accolade II is better, even though I prefer the original. Feels like I’m going on an adventure or something when listening to this song, and the guitar solo is one of MJR’s best.

4. Orion the Hunter. Easily. A underrated gem from Twilight clearly beats a mediocre song from an average album. Just listen to that intro; it sounds like something that could have been on Metallica’s St Anger or something….

Rediscovery II- Again, this is really close. Awakenings is great, but Rediscovery II is just better.
Edge of Forever- Easy
Frontiers- I'm not a huge fan of Accolade II. I loved the first one, but not so much the second.....
Orion the Hunter- If you don't choose this song, the hunter will look at you with eyes that kill.

Awakenings - Toughest decision ever.
Edge of Forever - I think I don´t like anymore Smoke and Mirrors.
Accolade II - I love Frontiers but the instrumental section of Accolade II it´s just incredible.
Orion the Hunter - Lords of Chaos is maybe the worst song of one of the weakest album of SX. Well, not really, Light up the Night, Electric Messiah, The End of Innocence and Children of a Faceless God are in that album too. Orion the Hunter has been one of all-time favorites anyway.

Results:

Rediscovery pt. 2 beats Awakenings 13-6
The Edge of Forever beats Smoke and Mirrors 17-1
Accolade II beats Frontiers 17-1
Orion- The Hunter beats Lords of Chaos 16-2

A fairly ordinary round, with the exception of Rediscovery vs. Awakenings, which was still pretty decisive (as it should have been). Everything else is almost unanimous, but not quite.

The end of Round 2 is upon us...

Vs.

Vs.

Vs.

My votes:

Revelation. Tough choice- these really are the two best songs on PL. However, Revelation just seems a bit more consistent to me.

Evolution. Sorry Transcendence, you're just not long enough. Besides, Evolution is one of the better "power metal" SX songs.

Church of the Machine. Or, the awesomely progressive song that inspired my title. Also, King of Terrors is a bit too heavy for my taste.

Through the Looking Glass. While it may not be an epic on the scale of DWOT or The Odyssey, it's still easily good enough to beat Inferno, one of the most overplayed songs in the band's entire catalogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
^same picks :)

Revelation (Divus Pennae Ex Tragoedia) - An okay song. Walls is not too bad either.
Evolution (The Grand Design) - Excellent opening track.
Church of the Machine - Don't really like it very much but I like King of Terrors even less.
Through the Looking Glass - Easiest pick this round.

1. The Walls of Babylon (I think think these two are just about on par. I'm giving my vote to Babylon just because it has more of that fast-paced metal sound. Revelations will still win, I'm sure.)

2. Evolution (First SX song I ever heard, and still every bit as impressive. One hell of a song to start an album with, not counting Prelude.)

3. King of Terrors (Call me crazy if you must, but Church of the Machine's studio version just puts me to sleep. If it were between King and the live version I'd go for Church, but in this case I'd take KOT any day.)

4. Through the Looking Glass (This one should end up being unanimous, or at least damn near close.)