Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

1. Divine Wings
2. Communion
3. Rediscovery

All three of these are easily in the top 5 SX songs ever, with Rediscovery being my personal #1.

Divine Wings
Communion
Rediscovery

Communion and Divine are in my top 2, and Rediscovery is in my top 10, so no contest on this one, even though Paradise Lost is one of my favourites, and the other two are great as well.

Fuck, TEOF is going to lose. Well I'll not sign on to that.

Divine Wings - I say this song wins the entire tournament. It should.
Communion - Both combined parts of Winter's Dream would beat it though.
The Edge Of Forever - whoever called this a weaker epic has no soul, period.

Rediscovery - I hope it wins the whole thing

Oh, how I wish as well. I'm positive Divine Wings will prevail in the end, seeing as everyone around here seems to have a hard-on for it (and for good reason, I admit), but I'd love to see Rediscovery get the respect it absolutely deserves and then some.

On the previous round I had a really hard time to decide between candlelight and fool's paradise (and the result has been nearly a draw!), this time despite all three matchups made me think about what song I like most, whatever I decided the result is already clear, so I can go lighthearted

Paradise Lost (no kidding! :p )
Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery pt.2

I've never been a big fan of DWOT

No way.

Divine Wings > V. Album or song. Although V is certainly a conceptual work of great ambition with the best balance of guitar and keys and I certainly hope like hell the band aspires to something this ambitious again.

Well, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree then (about which is better of course, not about the band writing something in the vein of V again).

Results time.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy beats Paradise Lost 15-1
Communion and the Oracle beats A Winter's Dream pt. 2 16-0
Rediscovery pt. 2 beats The Edge of Forever 14-2

This round was exactly what I wanted it to be, yet kind of also a little disappointing (Edge of Forever lost by a greater margin than Awakenings did). Easy victories, nothing more to see here.

Last three of Round 3...

Vs.

Vs.

My votes:

Accolade II. A closer decision for me than I suspect it will be for many of you. Still, the second Accolade is just too awesome to lose this, what with being the sequel to my 5th-favorite SX song and all.

Revelation. Easy choice. I've always found the more straightforward "power metal" tracks to be good yet kind of boring, and Evolution is no exception. Revelation, on the other hand, was an excellent ending that redeemed a somewhat uneven album.

Through the Looking Glass I do love Church, I really do, but this is longer, more varied, and just better by a hair. Tough decision though.

Last edited by a moderator:
My votes:

Accolade II. A closer decision for me than I suspect it will be for many of you. Still, the second Accolade is just too awesome to lose this, what with being the sequel to my 5th-favorite SX song and all.

Revelation. Easy choice. I've always found the more straightforward "power metal" tracks to be good yet kind of boring, and Evolution is no exception. Revelation, on the other hand, was an excellent ending that redeemed a somewhat uneven album.

Through the Looking Glass I do love Church, I really do, but this is longer, more varied, and just better by a hair. Tough decision though.

Again, same vote as yours^. +1. Moving on...

1. Accolade II - Such a great song, going up against what I believe to be one of the more unremarkable ones from Twilight.

2. Revelation - I love Evolution, but Revelation is the more elaborate of the two, and should get to continue.

3. Through the Looking Glass - Finally, a serious chance to knock Church of the Machine out of the competition.