Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

I prefer Accolade II to the original (except for that polymetric part near the end with all the overlapping parts, which beats anything in Accolade II). However, the original has an innocent charm that the sequel lacks. Still, I feel that Accolade II is simply a more well-written and fluid song.

Orion is a great song, but I think its solo section drags on for too long without ever changing keys or rhythms, which is odd for Symphony X. But it does have that sweet organ part in there. Also, does anyone else hear how the post-chorus sections of Orion sound like parts of Prometheus?

Results:

Accolade II beats Orion- The Hunter 16-1
Revelation beats Evolution 10-7
Through the Looking Glass beats Church of the Machine 13-3

Revelation's victory was surprisingly close, Looking Glass's was surprisingly decisive. We're getting into the home stretch now.

Round 4

All five matchups of the round will be put up at once.

Vs.

Vs.

Vs.

Vs.

My votes:

The Odyssey- The rampage continues. Candlelight is truly beautiful, but the Odyssey's brilliance outshines it, I would say.

The Accolade- Egypt is one of the better songs from V, but it can't touch Accolade. All my reasons for loving this song have been said already, and Egypt should be put to rest right about now- it's great, but not Final Five great.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy- Sorry to see Communion go, but when you get this far, you're going to have to make some sacrifices. Divine has some of Russell's most powerful, emotional, and technically proficient vocal passages while managing to work in the longest and most interesting instrumental SX passage ever (6 minutes 30 seconds).

Rediscovery pt. 2- Still voting for this no matter what.

Through the Looking Glass- The only tough choice of the round. Both are excellent, but Looking Glass just has a bit more magic to it. I wouldn't mind if Revelation won, though.

Also, don't worry about the Final Five being an odd number- I have plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The Odyssey (This is a gimme.)

2. The Accolade (This one is pretty close, but I think the former just barely wins.)

3. Communion and the Oracle (Yes, I am actually voting against Divine Wings. I love Communion, it was the first SX song which made me think "Damn, these guys are something else entirely". I know Divine Wings will win either way, but at least I can show my support.)

4. Rediscovery (Like with OP, I'm sticking by this to the end, though seeing as it'll be going up against Divine Wings if it wins this round, that end may come sooner than I'd hope.)

5. Through the Looking Glass (Great song, but IMO the weakest of these 5 I've just chosen. I expect it's going to be cut in the next round.)

Odyssey
Egypt
Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery pt2
Through the Looking Glass

^that's pretty much a top 5 of SX songs.

Divine wings vs Communion was the only close call for me, really. Last week, perhaps I would have voted Divine.

Revelation is better than anything on TiO...

Tough to say if it's better than Church of the Machine, but otherwise I agree.

The Odyssey - I like neither of these songs as much as many here seem to, especially this one (I always felt it paled in comparison to The Divine Wings of Tragedy). They are two very good songs though, and The Odyssey just barely wins it in my book.

The Accolade - Probably the best SX song.
Communion and the Oracle - Probably the best SX song.
Accolade II - Another close one.
Revelation - One of the best songs on the last two albums.

The Odyssey
The Accolade
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Rediscovery Pt. 2

The Odyssey
Egypt
Rediscovery Part II - only one I feel like commenting on since these two and the Odyssey are my personal top 3 songs. Sad to have to vote against Accolade II but someone must win!

Odyssey
Accolade
Divine Wings
Rediscovery pt. II
Looking Glass

This round is incredibly tough, since every song here is a winner.

1. I love Candlelight, but this one is obvious.

2. Egypt takes the listener through more moods, but Accolade is the better track in my book.

3. Ugh... I love Communion! But Divine Wings is probably my favorite Symphony X song, so...

4. Again, Accolade II is amazing and a very well-composed song. However, it lacks the epic feel of Rediscovery.

5. This is the only easy choice for me, since Looking Glass is outstanding and Revelation, while awesome for newer Symphony X, simply can't compare to the classics.

The Odyssey
Egypt
Rediscovery Pt. 2

The toughest choice was between DWOT and Communion. Other than that this was a little easier than expected.

Some tough ones...

The Odyssey
The Accolade
Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery II

(If there are only 5 songs left next round, how are we going to handle voting? Does one song get a bye, or will it be like a 1 vs 1 and then a 3 way round robin or a 5 way round robin or something?)

1. The Odyssey. No contest.

2. The Accolade. Egypt is great, but would probably rather be in my top 15 than my top 10. The Accolade is definitely in my top 10, so this one's also rather easy.

3. Dear lord, this is a tough one....the two best songs coming up against each other. I feel Divine Wings has a certain advantage because of its length, I mean, it's 20 minutes with awesomeness instead of 8 minutes with awesomeness.... However, Communion and the Oracle is by far the SX song (or any song) that I've listened to the most. It was one of few songs on V which immidiately "clicked" (the others just took a couple of more listens, don't get me wrong). It's one of their most unique tunes. It flows extremely well from start to finish. And the outro is my favourite SX part, I could listen to it on loop for hours.:popcorn: :worship: So, in the end, Communion being such a special song to me makes the (close) difference....

I could written the same amount of great things about Divine as well (probably even more, it's 12 minutes longer than Communion after all), but I will just say it's an incredible neo-classical masterpiece which they never will surpass.

4. Dear me, how could I forget this one?? Anyways, voting for Rediscovery pt. II. Simply more epic than Accolade II.

5. Through the Looking Glass. Revelation is great, one of the few really great songs post-Odyssey, and is lurking around my top 10. But Looking Glass simply has more "magic", like that beautiful, dreamy "Run,Alice,run..."-part in the middle, and is definitely in my top 6.

All in all, relatively easy choices, except for that Ultimate Battle between Divine Wings and Communion.

I've been lurking for a while... time to vote. It seems Communion could use my help!!

The Odyssey
Egypt
Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery II

It's no coincidence that the holy trinity of Symphony X's epics have all made it this far. However, epic does not necessarily mean the best song. The two are practically both perfect. But now is where we rank them by 'magic'. Communion has got some real magic. Not saying Divine Wings doesn't. But, my goodness... Communion...