Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

The Accolade - This one made it a little too far for me anyway. Still a top 10 song but there are others I definitely prefer over this song.

Well since we're doing this:

Communion = Divine Wings > Egypt > Rediscovery = Accolade > Odyssey

yes Communion and/or Egypt should have remained instead of Looking Glass.

/end of thread due to fail

All these equations are making my head hurt. And I like equations!

All five songs are incredible, but considering that there are songs I like greater than The Accolade that didn't make the final cut (Communion, Candlelight, Awakenings, Accolade II), it was my only option. Not to mention that I've never been a fan of "dorky" medieval lyrics.

As for the remaining four, there's no way I can rank them. They're simply all too special in their own way.

One of the best outros for an epic, the lyrics are just so... not Iconoclast.

Haha, tell me about it.

>> is equivalent to >

If you mean >...> then you're implying that something fits inbetween the two, what would that something be?

Edge of Forever and Communion, respectively.
Also, this isn't actually math, but rather ranking. Thus, we're free to use as many greater-than symbols as we want to express varying degrees of superiority (as Sauna's post demonstrates).

The Edge Of Forever should be here instead of Looking Glass.

Best SX song?

Although, The Edge of Forever and Through the Looking Glass are quite similar in many respects. When I'm listening to one, sometimes for just a split second I'll expect the verse of the other to appear.

This is tough, but I'm gonna say it's:

Rediscovery > Divine Wings > Odyssey > Accolade > Through the Looking Glass

I personally think Rediscovery is every bit as epic, if not more so, than Divine Wings and the Odyssey, and in only half the time at that. It's the perfect ending to what I consider a perfect album. It's got everything, magical keyboards, nice crunchy riffs, fantastic vocals, some really awesome bass work in a few parts, and the best part is that it flows perfectly from start to finish with no herky-jerky transitions to be found anywhere, not to mention it includes excellent use of dynamics.

IMO Symphony X are at their finest when they combine soft and aggressive elements at once, and Rediscovery is the finest example I can think of in this category, mainly in how the piano perfectly complements the riffs, and how after the first two verses the "What have we done?" part comes in with Romeo playing the opening riff and the piano playing that beautiful melody over top. And then when that part is brought back again with more keys added for emphasis, it's simply one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard in my life. And that groovy "Bow down to me..." portion is something I've always wanted to hear in more of their stuff. And as if it needed a mention, the last 2 minutes are simply unparalleled. It ends in such an awe-inspiring way that it gets me smiling every time, like the triumphant finale to a great movie. Whenever they hit that final chord, I just feel like applauding.

TL;DR, Looking Glass needs to be shown the door, Rediscovery FTW.

This is tough, but I'm gonna say it's:
And as if it needed a mention, the last 2 minutes are simply unparalleled. It ends in such an awe-inspiring way that it gets me smiling every time, like the triumphant finale to a great movie. Whenever they hit that final chord, I just feel like applauding.

Absolutely. Anyone would have to be silly to say that the end of Rediscovery isn't the pinnacle moment of Symphony X's entire catalogue.

I think it really boils down to the particularly shining moments in each song:

Through the Looking Glass has that extremely magical and intelligent chorus... one of their best and most thought provoking.

Divine Wings and Odyssey both are spectacular to keep us going for that length of time.

Odyssey is less coherent of a 'song' and is more of a suite. It has that fantastic cinematic part that begins around 2:30... think of that as the background music to watching a sunrise from an island... truly majestic. And of course, it's got the triumphant Champion of Ithica. Its success is in its ability to take us on an adventure. How many times have I daydreamed while listening to this song? I can't remember, certainly a good number of times.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy is so cold, but in the best possible way. The opening is definitely the best of any Symphony X song... maybe any progressive metal epic out there. The middle 'standing on the edge of paradise' part is also really chilling, and the dual-ending with the sweet guitar part and then the cool vocals is really fantastic.

However, in my opinion, none are quite as powerful as Rediscovery, which, in the context of the rest of the album, is unrivaled. It unites the most powerful motifs of the record and, in the final climactic moments, comes up with what must be the very anthem of heaven itself. Lol, it is just too good. No ending of ANY song is as powerful, not even Octavarium's ending is as powerful.

Plus, in the context of the rest of V, Rediscovery is not just finishing a story, but is in fact challenging the listener. If you really pay attention to the lyrics all throughout the record, there is clearly something more at stake than telling a story of Atlantis. What that story is, and how you choose your path is for you to find! It challenges us to ask ourselves if we are capable of change, not just of our actions but of our fates. And it has a great impact on the way we listen to the rest of the songs as well, which keeps us coming back for more and more and more V. Quickly, it turns into some kind of religion!!

The only way I can see Rediscovery losing is if we are taking it completely out of the context of V. If it truly stands alone (which would be ridiculous to consider anyway), then it is incomplete, and of course it is not as strong as Divine Wings. Musically, it is still magical, but even the ending is not as special without coming after the rest of the album. For that matter, if you listen to it too often without the rest of the album coming before it, it loses its sheen.

Us V fans are probably all nuts anyway but that's my take on it.

Nice post dudesky. Put into context, I would probably think the same. But for this contest, I try to see each song individually - out of context of their albums.

My 'favorites' are in constant flux, though... but The Accolade is the strongest out of these songs.

Great to see I'm not alone here!

I agree about Rediscovery losing a bit of it's power when disconnected from the rest of the album, but that's the real beauty of V. When taken in as a whole (as it should be), it's absolutely outstanding. And it flows so perfectly from start to finish while constantly keeping you guessing what's going to happen next. It's the only SX album I can personally really listen to from start to finish without skipping any tracks or becoming bored, because everything is so well pieced together and organic-sounding, without ever coming off as forced. It's the album that really puts the "Symphony" in Symphony X, and as such it's my personal favorite.

Back on topic though, I'm well aware that Divine Wings is going to win this in the end, but I'll be damned if I just sit back and let the most powerful piece of progressive music I've ever heard go out with a whimper.

Plus, in the context of the rest of V, Rediscovery is not just finishing a story, but is in fact challenging the listener. If you really pay attention to the lyrics all throughout the record, there is clearly something more at stake than telling a story of Atlantis. What that story is, and how you choose your path is for you to find! It challenges us to ask ourselves if we are capable of change, not just of our actions but of our fates. And it has a great impact on the way we listen to the rest of the songs as well, which keeps us coming back for more and more and more V. Quickly, it turns into some kind of religion!!

Most true! Well said.

Sometimes fantasy and mythology is about as real as reality. It almost doesn't even matter if Atlantis did in fact physically exist or not because the story and the lesson is timeless. It's about something every intelligent civilization has to deal with at one point. I'm someone who is convinced humanity will sooner or later destroy itself due to obtaining powers it lacks the maturity to handle (i.e. our technological advancement is going quicker than our moral/spiritual one, proportionally causing a dangerous imbalance that would someday lead to self-destruction); this is unless it makes a conscious choice to change.

I had these thoughts before listening to V so you can imagine how cool it was to discover this album.

I agree about the songs out of context thing. Good point. This is probably something all V songs would suffer from but somehow it's especially true for Rediscovery. It has that "Final Act" feel to it and isolating it does make it contextually incomplete.

Results:

The Odyssey received 2 votes.
The Accolade received 5 votes.
The Divine Wings of Tragedy received 1 vote.
Rediscovery pt. II received 3 votes.
Through The Looking Glass received 7 votes.

Well, Looking Glass has been eliminated, and now it's time to revert to tournament form for the...

Semifinals

Vs.

Vs.

My votes:

The Odyssey- Though Accolade is certainly amazing, I think Odyssey has the edge here, surpassing its opponent in both consistent quality and pure quantity. Musically, Odyssey has that killer cinematic orchestra and some of Lepond's best bass parts (especially in the intro), not to mention stronger lyrics (I'll take an adaptation of Greek myth over a generic medieval tale any day). Though Accolade's brilliant polyrhythm is, individually, superior to any moment of the Odyssey, we're judging the songs as a whole here. It's not my absolute ideal pick to go to the finals, but it is better than its opponent, and that is enough.

Rediscovery
However, in my opinion, none are quite as powerful as Rediscovery, which, in the context of the rest of the album, is unrivaled. It unites the most powerful motifs of the record and, in the final climactic moments, comes up with what must be the very anthem of heaven itself. Lol, it is just too good. No ending of ANY song is as powerful, not even Octavarium's ending is as powerful.

The only way I can see Rediscovery losing is if we are taking it completely out of the context of V. If it truly stands alone (which would be ridiculous to consider anyway), then it is incomplete, and of course it is not as strong as Divine Wings. Musically, it is still magical, but even the ending is not as special without coming after the rest of the album. For that matter, if you listen to it too often without the rest of the album coming before it, it loses its sheen.
This. The sheer weight and brilliance of V as a concept and an album is encapsulated in this one song. I see the Atlanteans and their doomsday weapons as a parable, a cautionary tale of what we could become. The song essentially shows the "rediscovery" of the ideals of Ma'at, the philosophy that can take us out of our evil ways and imbalance, that asks us if we can change.
The bit about taking it out of context is the only part I somewhat disagree with. Anyone who has had the pleasure of hearing and understanding V in its entirety can hear Rediscovery and be reminded of the work as a whole (the recurring melodic lines from past songs help with this). Rediscovery does not and cannot stand alone, for the power of the rest of the album is put into it. True, it is less powerful if heard by someone who does not know its story, but if we're voting on personal preference, then such concerns are irrelevant. To me, this song has so much more depth, power and meaning than DWOT, and that's what counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also vote for The Odyssey.

But more importantly, Rediscovery, for everything that I and the others have said. Divine Wings is no doubt a classic that has withstood the test of time.

But I believe there is a reason Symphony X has chosen not to perform this song live. And that reason lies within the song's heart. It is untouchable. It is not meant to entertain a crowd. It is meant to transform the individual. To allow them to embark on a journey of personal rediscovery. A piece of music that can do that is extraordinary. For that reason, it gets my vote.

The Odyssey and Rediscovery, for pretty much the exact same reasons as the two posters above me.

But I believe there is a reason Symphony X has chosen not to perform this song live. And that reason lies within the song's heart. It is untouchable. It is not meant to entertain a crowd. It is meant to transform the individual.

While that's very nicely said, I don't think that's the reason.

A guy interviewed Romeo back in September and said his favorite song was Rediscovery, and asked why it's never been played. The response was really just along the lines of they try to play a lot of new material when they release an album, but sometimes there are just some songs that never make it onto the stage, that being one example.