Symphony X Song Tournament: Vote for the Best

You know, now that I look at this, no matter what song ultimately triumphs, I don't think too many people would disagree that these 4 truly are the best of the best, or at least pretty damn high up there.

And all of them are from my top 3 favorite albums, so that's pretty cool.

The Odyssey - The song I've probably listened to more times than any other Symphony X song. It brings all the goods and doesn't let up for its 24:14 run time.

Rediscovery - Man this song just moves me in ways I can't describe. Pinella's finest hour with keys that bring joy, sadness, terror, and wonder. Russell's vocals are ridiculously great as well.

That being said these four are among the best of the best and are all fantastic. Thank you Symphony X for making some of the best songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to!

The Accolade
Rediscovery pt 2

Champion of Ithica is very good but the other parts are all weaker than The Accolade.
I love the ending of Divine wings, but other than that, the good parts are duplicated (and done much better) in the sequential song -- Candlelight Fantasia. Regardless, Rediscovery is better.

The Accolade
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

The Odyssey is a great song, it's the first Symphony X song I heard. But my signature.

Rediscovery is also great. But I'm not convinced it's their best.

The Accolade
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

The other two are awesome songs but don't fit in my personal top 5.

The Accolade:

Odyssey definitely has the edge here in that it's a musically bigger and more ambitious work. I'm still picking The Accolade because it has a higher sentimental value to me personally. This is a case of emotion defeating logic.

EDIT: hmm I didn't expect this many Accolade votes. I guess I'm not the only one. :)

The Divine Wings of Tragedy:

This was the toughest pick I've had to make so far. I love both songs, both musically and emotionally. The only reason I ended up choosing DWOT over Rediscovery is that I'm approaching Rediscovery as an isolated song from the whole V flow.

Accolade, Divine Wings

No idea how anyone could think the Odyssey is better than the Accolade...

Accolade
Divine Wings

the accolade is clearly better than the odyssey, and divine wings is slightly better than rediscovery 2

I just don't see how the accolade is better than the frickin Odyssey. It doesn't have nearly as much depth. Or orchestration. The odyssey has better metal moments and better progressive moments. To me Odyssey is better from either viewpoint..

I just don't see how the accolade is better than the frickin Odyssey. It doesn't have nearly as much depth. Or orchestration. The odyssey has better metal moments and better progressive moments. To me Odyssey is better from either viewpoint..

The Odyssey doesn't really add up to be more than the sum of its parts. It's a bunch of solid prog metal songs strung together. The Accolade is a coherent whole, and it's got better melodies and arrangements.

The Odyssey doesn't really add up to be more than the sum of its parts. It's a bunch of solid prog metal songs strung together. The Accolade is a coherent whole, and it's got better melodies and arrangements.

The book the odyssey is a bunch of solid island adventures strung together, it makes sense that the song is different for each island/situation. I think it's masterfully composed to fit that book. Have you read it? The story of the accolade is boring by comparison, and doesn't really develop anywhere in the song.

I mean, read the lyrics side by side. The accolade is like "this knight is a badass guys" then "the holy knight rides through unholy lands" repeat x4 then "he dies". Wow.