TAB Thread.

I took a crack at the second guitar solo in "Of Sins And Shadows" (Symphony X). I used the version MJR played in this video. It's not spot on, so any criticism is appreciated. I didn't even try the other solo(s), because anything i did would be OMG horribly shitty x1000. the string skipped fully legato arpeggios are like :OMG:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s29qpk

ive only been posting here for about a week, but kick ass job warheart.
i know youve probably said this many times, but this thread is 178 pages long and you have 6500posts so im just gonna ask away.
how long have you been playing and since what age? also how often do you play

thanks, once again, kickass job

Bloody great job on Lead Us To War!!! :)
Bravo man, you are super! :kickass:

Glad you liked 'em. :kickass:

ive only been posting here for about a week, but kick ass job warheart.
i know youve probably said this many times, but this thread is 178 pages long and you have 6500posts so im just gonna ask away.
how long have you been playing and since what age? also how often do you play

thanks, once again, kickass job

Thanks.

I can't remember how long I've been playing. I got my first guitar in November so it was a month after my birthday but I can't remember if I just turned 14 or 15. I'm 20 on Monday so it must have been 14, which would mean it's 6 years...

I "play" everyday when I'm just sitting here noodling away tabbing stuff and playing shitty out of tune bends but I haven't practised anything for over 7 months. When I first starting playing, I played everyday for 3 years. Then I started cutting down practise time and eventually it was like I had to force myself to practise. Now, I just...don't. Wanna start getting back into it though. I won't be able to play Sinergy solos if I don't. :ill:

no man,don't stop playing or we'll loose our most active tabber in the forum,LOL.btw,when you started,did you learn all modes and chords and that things?I'm getting a bit tired of them(specially chords)but the're suposed to be useful.are they?

as always great tabs.good one the Downright Dominate tab.

i havent been playing for a long time but i found a really good approach to learning scales. i tried learning different patterns in different positions, different 3 string patterns, but putting them all together would just be too confusing and transitioning fluidly between them would require too much thinking, so i made a new way.
everybody knows the pentatonic scales right? well i know all the pentatonic scales since theyre really easy box patterns, and how theyre all connected (ie i could start playing eminor pent. anywhere on the fretboard and go from position to position fluidly since i memorize it as one big scale). so what i did to expand on that was just add in the extra notes inside the pentatonics (since only minor third intervals have an extra note in between, its really easy) and BOOM, you have the diatonic scale. so basically instead of memorising a whole bunch of small scale fragments in each position, i memorized it all as one big scale and now if i look at a few notes of a composition, i can easily identify where they lie on the big scale and i can identify keys/modes of each lick in a few seconds (alot easier than trying to match it up with 100s of different patterns in your head). as for modes, what i did was just associate each note on the pattern with its mode. this works really well for me, but if only i could have better phrasing :(.

anyways, youre all lucky for starting so early :(.
i started when i was 19 (bought my first guitar on 6/6/06, but it took me like a couple of months to get a tuner and find lessons on the internet). so ive been playing for a bit over a year so far so im not too good at tabbing things out by ear, thats why i find this thread really useful.

i havent been playing for a long time but i found a really good approach to learning scales. i tried learning different patterns in different positions, different 3 string patterns, but putting them all together would just be too confusing and transitioning fluidly between them would require too much thinking, so i made a new way.
everybody knows the pentatonic scales right? well i know all the pentatonic scales since theyre really easy box patterns, and how theyre all connected (ie i could start playing eminor pent. anywhere on the fretboard and go from position to position fluidly since i memorize it as one big scale). so what i did to expand on that was just add in the extra notes inside the pentatonics (since only minor third intervals have an extra note in between, its really easy) and BOOM, you have the diatonic scale. so basically instead of memorising a whole bunch of small scale fragments in each position, i memorized it all as one big scale and now if i look at a few notes of a composition, i can easily identify where they lie on the big scale and i can identify keys/modes of each lick in a few seconds (alot easier than trying to match it up with 100s of different patterns in your head). as for modes, what i did was just associate each note on the pattern with its mode. this works really well for me, but if only i could have better phrasing :(.

when you say you memorized it as one big scale, could you give an example of what you mean? like maybe tab out that scale pattern real fast? I kinda lost you when you started talking about adding in extra notes in between the pentatonic scale.

anyways, youre all lucky for starting so early :(.
i started when i was 19 (bought my first guitar on 6/6/06, but it took me like a couple of months to get a tuner and find lessons on the internet). so ive been playing for a bit over a year so far so im not too good at tabbing things out by ear, thats why i find this thread really useful.

haha, we're in the exact same situation (except, I didn't buy my guitar on 6/6/06) but I did start playing around that same date... i think it was june 8th for me. and I also wish i started earlier :(

when you say you memorized it as one big scale, could you give an example of what you mean? like maybe tab out that scale pattern real fast? I kinda lost you when you started talking about adding in extra notes in between the pentatonic scale.

He probably means by starting at any degree of the scale, you would get the same scale all over the fretboard. Playing C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian and so on, is still a Cmaj scale playing in the key of Cmaj.

He probably means by starting at any degree of the scale, you would get the same scale all over the fretboard. Playing C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian and so on, is still a Cmaj scale playing in the key of Cmaj.

oh ok. although I don't understand what the pentatonic scale has to do with that. you can just learn patterns for all those modes without adding "extra notes" to the pentatonic scale. so maybe he meant something else?

oh ok. although I don't understand what the pentatonic scale has to do with that. you can just learn patterns for all those modes without adding "extra notes" to the pentatonic scale. so maybe he meant something else?

naw, i think he just found pentatonic in all modes, then dropped in the 2 missing degrees. basically he broke up the memorization, first memorizing five, then memorizing all seven?

yea, sorry for the confusion, basically what shredtastical said about breaking up the memorization into small steps.

what i meant was, the first thing i learned was the 5 pentatonic patterns which was very very easy.
and once you get these patterns, its relatively easy to go from one to another since theres only 5 of them

1.jpg

those are relatively easy to connect together on the fretboard sine theyre very rectangular (ie, 3 note per string scale patterns are slanted, and makes it even harder to connect them together. in my head atleast)

and in order to make it into the diatonic scale, you only add an extra note between every minor third interval which is another really small easy step and you get this:
2.jpg

which is just as easy to connect as the pentatonic patterns and with a little practice, youll be visualising it as one big scale.
the key is to take it a small step at a time, and since you build on each little step to get the big picture, its alot easier to do than starting from scratch.

so in the end, you get something like this after putting it all together
3.jpg

which was alot easier to memorize than most other patterns because you probably already know the pentatonic scales really well, so instead of learning new scales, you just build on what you already know

no offence man,but I find the last ''putitalltogether'' image pretty strange and complicate to memorise.switch through pentatonic patterns and between the modes(which in the end are nothing more than patterns of the natural scale,and sorry if I say this bad,but I don't know the right name in english).even though,you've got a point on the 3 notes per string patterns,but I personally think that this is good to learn,in order to be able in the future to face the mor than one note per string sweeps without fainting.

btw,now that we are on guitar technique,about sweeping:the experienced players(Mitch,shredtastical,...),how do you ''build'' the sweeps?because I'm stuck in two or three patterns for 3 strings and 2 for 5 strings,and anything else I try sounds like shit.

Are you talking about how to finger them or how to create new arpeggios from "cool" chords?

Write out the notes of the arpeggios, and start thinking notewise instead of shape wise.