TAB Thread.

Mystique said:
I just listened to the original to make sure, and I think I might be mistaken. But what I was referring to was the harmony starting at bar 128. Are you sure that they still have 2 rhythm guitars in there on top of the 2 lead guitars doing the harmony? Henkka's bass has a lot of distortion on it, so maybe what you thought was the rhythm gtr in the background was really his bass?

But I don't know, you're most likely right (better ears, haha). For some reason I always thought they would only have 2 recorded guitars max on their songs because how could they play it live otherwise.

Well, I gets pretty crazy during that part, so maybe there's two rhythm guitars, maybe there's not, I can't say for sure, but it probably sounded like it at the time.

And regarding the second part, it's totally not how bands work in the studio. Like Arcane said, there's almost always two rhythm tracks, one panned left and the other panned right. Then, you can get harmonies on top of that so unless a band has four guitar players, then most bands will just get one player to do the rhythm and the other to do the lead.

I would say that 85% of all Bodom songs got 3 or more guitars in one album song. Nearly every solo has two different rythm guitars under it.

Exactly. And during the solos, the rhythms might even play something different from each other, but the players will just have to decide what they're going to do live.

Ok, exams are almost done and I've wanted to do it since a long time ago, so I'm going to give a shot to Kylähullut's Kaapiot and see how it works, but as I pretty much suck at tabbing I'm going to need some help. If you don't mind I'll keep posting what I do and please check it and tell me if it sounds ok or what, will you? :) Oh, and Mitch, if you don't mind I'll just copy your tab for the solo and credit you for it, there's no point on me re-tabing it when it's already done and quite well done, I'll just fuck it up.

That'd be cool. I started a tab a while ago so I know the basic chord progression, but I'd like to see your take on it since I only did about 20 bars.

That correction to the KTS solo tab is great mitch. Especially the sweep in bar 38... that makes it so much easier.

Do please record a video ^.^

The only thing I didn't like was that I thought it was fast, but I might just not have listened to the song in too long. It just seems like it's flying by so damn fast in the tab.

Indeed! I was learning it earlier and was suprised I could play those ending sweeps at full speed, it's insane. A video is possible, but gotta clean some parts up just a bit.

And try playing it, it feels much faster than the tab that way. :lol:

Well, I gets pretty crazy during that part, so maybe there's two rhythm guitars, maybe there's not, I can't say for sure, but it probably sounded like it at the time.

And regarding the second part, it's totally not how bands work in the studio. Like Arcane said, there's almost always two rhythm tracks, one panned left and the other panned right. Then, you can get harmonies on top of that so unless a band has four guitar players, then most bands will just get one player to do the rhythm and the other to do the lead.
does this mean alexi plays all the harmonies on the album? I'd think that one of them lays down the rhythm tracks, and then both guitarists do their own lead work.

does this mean alexi plays all the harmonies on the album? I'd think that one of them lays down the rhythm tracks, and then both guitars do their own lead work.

Alexi pretty much writes about 90% of all the guitar, though Roope does come up with a few solos and other parts, too. But it's mostly all Alexi, at least in terms of writing, as he's pretty much writing all of the songs. In terms of who tracks those parts, I wouldn't be able to say. I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been in the studio with them at the time would, either. But I could be wrong. My guess would be Alexi.

I would imagine roope plays the parts he plays live on the actual album lol...

I suppose alexi COULD do both but why would he when roope could play his own parts?

I think Alexi records all his leads himself and then if they want to play the song live and it needs a second guitar in the lead then Roope learns them. It's easier to record if you're the one who came up with the thing than teach it to someone else so he can record it. At least for me, and I know 100% what I want, so that's my guess.

I wanted to find the name of that song too, so thanks:)

But I was thinking of this:

tabwaut.jpg

Dunno if it's a pirate song or whatever, but it's so catchy!

Lear the basic scales, so you can try out each scale to a song.

And just try to tab an easy song, and practise.

I'm still practising:(

Can you recommend any scales?

The scales I know already are pentatonic,blues,harmonic minor,natural minor,and major.

Shit man, just slow down a song, listen for ONE note at a time, find it, write it in GP4, it's THAT simple.

What Ensi means is, if you can find the first 6 notes and you know your scales, then you should be able to figure out what key it's in, so then finding the rest of the notes would probably be in that scale/key too. That saves you just trying any random note in the chromatic scale.

Try something SIMPLE and EASY to practice. I started off figuring out Linkin Park and Papa Roach songs by ear, which are all just powerchords in Drop D style tuning, so it was nothing difficult. You need to do the same, COB is NOT a good place to start.

Shit man, just slow down a song, listen for ONE note at a time, find it, write it in GP4, it's THAT simple.

What Ensi means is, if you can find the first 6 notes and you know your scales, then you should be able to figure out what key it's in, so then finding the rest of the notes would probably be in that scale/key too. That saves you just trying any random note in the chromatic scale.

Try something SIMPLE and EASY to practice. I started off figuring out Linkin Park and Papa Roach songs by ear, which are all just powerchords in Drop D style tuning, so it was nothing difficult. You need to do the same, COB is NOT a good place to start.

Do you know any good free slowing down programs?

I will try some easier songs in the future but can you tell me if my stone tab is right so far?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xutcpz