Takeaways From 2018

Felixrox

Dec 27, 2005
New York State
As always this year was another great year of music from the friendliest festival on the planet. I did notice a couple things, however, that were firsts for me that I have not been accustomed to seeing.

CONS
1. The people trying to take pictures yelling at the people in front of them that thet were " ruining my shot" when most were simply enjoying the music and wouldn't be aware of that situation. It happened next to me and I politely asked the whiner to move to a cleaner location to take a photo.

2. THE FLAILING HAIR ! Really people, if you MUST WAVE your hair around CONSTANTLY and require a minimum circumference of 6 feet, move outside or to the back of the arena. Myself as well as a colleague had to move during Labyrinth because we couldn't take the battery any longer. I'm sure you are proud of your manes but disturbing the rest of us is just plain selfish.

PROS
1. The barbeque was terrific ! Thank you for finding another vendor who would provide excellent food at a reasonable price. If they were there last year, my apologies as it was the first time i missed the fest in awhile.

2. The Staff- always nice to deal with and considering how many people they deal with in 4 day festival weekend, I want them to know their diligence and patience is appreciated.

All in all, another terrific way for me to end my summer and I thank all of you for your efforts in putting together a yearly highlight for me.

This was my first ProgPower! I came from Toronto for it, and had a really great time :D

Pros
-Labyrinth - not just for a great set, but also being friendly at the signing session. I don't often talk to/meet bands because I never know what to say, but these guys were my main reason for coming and they seemed pretty thrilled that I came from Canada for them. The set was unparalleled and escalated my love for Return to Heaven Denied
-All of the bands I was looking forward to were great. I won't list them all out because there's just so many, but the sets were very fun!
-Doro - I was disappointed at the cancellation of Dream Evil. I never really listen to Doro or Warlock, but still have a great appreciation for her enthusiasm and passion for metal (and somehow I knew about 80% of the songs anyways). She made a believer out of me - great set!
-The overall friendliness of everyone. I've been to Wacken 3 times, and have travelled quite a few places for shows, and never had so many conversations with random people about their shirts/vests/the fest. Special mention to the dude with the Nemesis patch! Awesome taste in thrash
-Matt from Divebomb. His label is pretty much my all-time favourite label. As much as I love power metal, thrash metal always has been and always will be my reason for existence. Getting to nerd out with him a bit about obscure thrash records and reissues was fantastic. I also did some serious damage at his merch booth.
-The sound quality was excellent. The only times any bands even sounded remotely less than perfect was when I got too close to the front and couldn't hear much of the PA (but I've rarely been to a concert without that issue)
-Chris Poland playing a Megadeth song with Redemption!! Redemption doesn't do a ton for me, but this was just wicked.
-Signing sessions - I was surprised at how quickly the lines moved. I skipped some altogether because I thought I wouldn't be able to squeeze in the signing session before the next band started, but in hindsight, I could have done way more of these. Still, it was great to do the Bloodbound and Labyrinth signings!
-Atlanta for having some fun stuff to do. My dad and I did the Atlanta Falcons stadium tour, College Football HOF, Coca-Cola tour, and the CNN Tour. All of them were pretty cool, and we pulled this off just on the festival dates (Wed-Sat)

Cons
-Oceans of Slumber - These guys were the only band I would call boring or in any way bad. I'd seen them twice before and hope I don't have to see them again
-The fat guy who kept squishing me against the rail during Bloodbound. He made himself annoying during a few other sets as well, but was at his worst during Bloodbound.
-Bands starting late. I gave up counting how many started more than 5-10 minutes late, but it seemed excessive, even if this is just a one-stage fest with no risk of clashes. I probably would have stayed for all of Sons of Apollo if they started on time.
-No Gloryhammer merch. I saw on Facebook that it was going to come with Alestorm on Saturday, but I kept checking all day and didn't see any. Fortunately I'm seeing them in Toronto in a couple weeks, so I'll pick up a shirt there.

Other Observations
-Though I haven't attended before this year, I've followed the festival in the past (mostly here). I had heard complaints of seat saving in the past, but didn't experience any issues with this. Honestly, there really isn't a bad seat at all in that venue, and every band I really wanted to see I stood for. And it's easy to get to the front for just about any band.
-I always grab merch instantly because I've had a lot of bad experiences with things selling out at other shows. I am surprised the ProgPower shirts stopped being sold so early in the day, but I got what I needed. For the band merch, Bloodbound had a shirt that showed up partway through the day on Friday. I'm glad I noticed it because I snagged a small (even if it's too small). They had a different shirt the following day, but were sold out of the first (event exclusive) shirt.
-Not sure if I'm pro or con on next year's lineup. I will definitely be back before the festival stops for good. Secret Sphere, Orden Ogan, and Galneryus might get me there next year, but a lot of the rest of the lineup doesn't appeal to me (yet; not familiar with all the bands).
-Although I didn't do everything Atlanta had to offer, I'm not sure if I could really entertain myself in Atlanta again prior to the fest starting. I'm always up around 7AM, so that's a lot of time to kill each day, especially on the Weds/Thurs.

Reactions: Felixrox
I'd say the only major Con was a lack of a merch table from Impulse Music, who were usually my go-to merch vendors for getting a variety of stuff. Instead, Nightmare Music wound up being the one I spent the most money on. However, the staff at all the tables were courteous and did a great job of answering my questions. Plus, I got to pick up Reverend's "World Won't Miss You" from Divebomb--I was surprised that they had reissued the album that had been long out of print. I'm hoping to pick up Reverend's follow up in the future.

Aside from that, here are a few Pros:

The security staff did a great job of moving everybody through quickly, particularly when the doors opened.

No hassles with seats as there have been in previous iterations.

The signing sessions ran smoothly, although granted I did not even try for Sons of Apollo or Tarja. The bands seemed to enjoy talking to the fans, and the fans were (usually) respectful enough to keep the line moving.

As with every year, the previews for next year were great in not only telling us who was playing next year, but in showing enough from the music videos, so as to get the crowd interested.

And finally, the fact that someone turned in my pack of CD books (including some signed by Doro) just shows how great this community is. Thanks to whomever turned it in, and thanks to Glen for making the announcement early on Friday.

Reactions: Felixrox
-No Gloryhammer merch. I saw on Facebook that it was going to come with Alestorm on Saturday, but I kept checking all day and didn't see any. Fortunately I'm seeing them in Toronto in a couple weeks, so I'll pick up a shirt there.

There was a Twitter post from Glenn saying that there wasn't any Gloryhammer merch because it was all sold at the St Pete Alestorm show.

This was my first ProgPower! I came from Toronto for it, and had a really great time :D

Pros
-Labyrinth - not just for a great set, but also being friendly at the signing session. I don't often talk to/meet bands because I never know what to say, but these guys were my main reason for coming and they seemed pretty thrilled that I came from Canada for them. The set was unparalleled and escalated my love for Return to Heaven Denied
-All of the bands I was looking forward to were great. I won't list them all out because there's just so many, but the sets were very fun!
-Doro - I was disappointed at the cancellation of Dream Evil. I never really listen to Doro or Warlock, but still have a great appreciation for her enthusiasm and passion for metal (and somehow I knew about 80% of the songs anyways). She made a believer out of me - great set!
-The overall friendliness of everyone. I've been to Wacken 3 times, and have travelled quite a few places for shows, and never had so many conversations with random people about their shirts/vests/the fest. Special mention to the dude with the Nemesis patch! Awesome taste in thrash
-Matt from Divebomb. His label is pretty much my all-time favourite label. As much as I love power metal, thrash metal always has been and always will be my reason for existence. Getting to nerd out with him a bit about obscure thrash records and reissues was fantastic. I also did some serious damage at his merch booth.
-The sound quality was excellent. The only times any bands even sounded remotely less than perfect was when I got too close to the front and couldn't hear much of the PA (but I've rarely been to a concert without that issue)
-Chris Poland playing a Megadeth song with Redemption!! Redemption doesn't do a ton for me, but this was just wicked.
-Signing sessions - I was surprised at how quickly the lines moved. I skipped some altogether because I thought I wouldn't be able to squeeze in the signing session before the next band started, but in hindsight, I could have done way more of these. Still, it was great to do the Bloodbound and Labyrinth signings!
-Atlanta for having some fun stuff to do. My dad and I did the Atlanta Falcons stadium tour, College Football HOF, Coca-Cola tour, and the CNN Tour. All of them were pretty cool, and we pulled this off just on the festival dates (Wed-Sat)

Cons
-Oceans of Slumber - These guys were the only band I would call boring or in any way bad. I'd seen them twice before and hope I don't have to see them again
-The fat guy who kept squishing me against the rail during Bloodbound. He made himself annoying during a few other sets as well, but was at his worst during Bloodbound.
-Bands starting late. I gave up counting how many started more than 5-10 minutes late, but it seemed excessive, even if this is just a one-stage fest with no risk of clashes. I probably would have stayed for all of Sons of Apollo if they started on time.

Other Observations
-Though I haven't attended before this year, I've followed the festival in the past (mostly here). I had heard complaints of seat saving in the past, but didn't experience any issues with this. Honestly, there really isn't a bad seat at all in that venue, and every band I really wanted to see I stood for. And it's easy to get to the front for just about any band.
-I always grab merch instantly because I've had a lot of bad experiences with things selling out at other shows. I am surprised the ProgPower shirts stopped being sold so early in the day, but I got what I needed. For the band merch, Bloodbound had a shirt that showed up partway through the day on Friday. I'm glad I noticed it because I snagged a small (even if it's too small). They had a different shirt the following day, but were sold out of the first (event exclusive) shirt.
-Not sure if I'm pro or con on next year's lineup. I will definitely be back before the festival stops for good. Secret Sphere, Orden Ogan, and Galneryus might get me there next year, but a lot of the rest of the lineup doesn't appeal to me (yet; not familiar with all the bands).
-Although I didn't do everything Atlanta had to offer, I'm not sure if I could really entertain myself in Atlanta again prior to the fest starting. I'm always up around 7AM, so that's a lot of time to kill each day, especially on the Weds/Thurs.

Congratulations on your first trip here ! You just described the exact reasons why I was converted to an annual participant, regardless of the bands. The conversations, the fun, the discovery of bands I knew only " a little" about who have converted me into a full blown fanboy, the entire vibe of this place is like no other I have experienced . I really hope you you can return because I fully believe you will understand what I am saying.

For the past 6 years I have wanted to see a bit more of Atlanta but just cannot at the expense of missing bands.....hope we see you next year having more fun.

Congratulations on your first trip here ! You just described the exact reasons why I was converted to an annual participant, regardless of the bands. The conversations, the fun, the discovery of bands I knew only " a little" about who have converted me into a full blown fanboy, the entire vibe of this place is like no other I have experienced . I really hope you you can return because I fully believe you will understand what I am saying.

For the past 6 years I have wanted to see a bit more of Atlanta but just cannot at the expense of missing bands.....hope we see you next year having more fun.

I have thought about it some more, and I'm very likely to return next year. I think, with time, I will end up liking at least half of the Day 3 and Day 4 bands (and I love the Day 1/2 lineup). The cost of doing this trip honestly isn't too bad, even coming from so far away.

I suppose because I know less of the band's than I did this year, I'll just have to start buying more of their CDs early :p

Reactions: Kez

My wife and I are like you. We don't really go to party, so we are up early. We have been to 6 PP over the years. We have done most of the things you said, but there is still much more to do. Try the Atlanta Monetary Museum which is near the venue. While learning about the Federal reserve might sound boring, it was a lot of fun. Plus you get to see a literal million dollars in cash. The Civil Rights Museum that is near the Coca-Cola museum is great. Likewise, the Martin Luther King House and Museum are great. Georgia Tech has a cool campus to walk around and it is Near CNN if you are interested in visiting that. I am sure there is plenty more, but those are just some of the things we have done over the years.