Talent

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
Who of the two is the better guitar player Mike or Peter? I know Mike writes most of the music, but who is better at overall guitar ability (solos, rhythm, etc.) I used to think Peter was lead guitar since Mike sang. Peter would or should have more of the guitar responsibility due to this. Am I right here?

Playing lead doesn't always have to be technically difficult, so (for any band) the lead shouldn't default to whomever is not singing.
In my own experience playing live, the guy that knows the riff, plays the riff. That's what I go by.

Haha I that would rule...but I think they're about even, honestly, but then again...it's really almost impossible to tell.

Sometimes Peter cannot pull off what he plays in the album. And he simplifies some riffs live. I honestly think he's not that great of a guitarist. Akerfeldt is a pretty good guitarist, but the guys from Dream Theater are much more skilled.

I should not have said who is better. My original question was which one is more of the lead guitarist? I have never heard anything formally that one was.

Apprentice's Master said:
Sometimes Peter cannot pull off what he plays in the album. And he simplifies some riffs live. I honestly think he's not that great of a guitarist. Akerfeldt is a pretty good guitarist, but the guys from Dream Theater are much more skilled.

no. not again.

first of all there is only ONE (1) guitar player in dt, so that makes it "the guy from dream theater."

and believe me he can go wanking all he wants, he isnt coming anywhere near peter or mikael. take the solo on the arabic scales in the song blackwater park.

blows away anything petrucci has ever done.

To me, a great guitarist is a guitarist who writes good stuff. To play is easier than to write.

and I think that Peter does more solos in heavy songs, and Mike more in songs like these from Damnation.

As much as I like Petrucci for instrumental shredding(or wanking), MA and Peter play with so much more feeling and expression. The writing in Opeth blows DT away for the most part, but they're far different styles of course.

Off topic a bit I know...as far as those 2, couldn't say? They've done a lot of dual riffing in the past and trading of solos, so kinda like asking who's better between Adrian Smith and Dave Murray?

I'm sure there's plenty of opinions on that as well.

Seth