Talent

Peter is an excellent soloer. You've all seen Lamentations; he was excellent in that. But I think Mikael is better because he does the writing component.

Moonlapse said:
Mike does the leads whenever he can. If it's too challenging to sing and do a part, he gives it over to Peter. That seems to be the process.. and I think Peter attests to it on the documentary.

Naah, its not really that peter means. He's talking about riffs that mike sing on top of, and then there is a solo over the same part, meaning that the natural choice for the solo will be mikael, since he has got a feel from singing on top of it. There is no vocals during their solos. And for regular leads, I guess its pretty much whats comfortable

Don Corleone said:
and believe me he can go wanking all he wants, he isnt coming anywhere near peter or mikael. take the solo on the arabic scales in the song blackwater park.

blows away anything petrucci has ever done.
watch "live at budokan". i found it inspirational.
to say one is better than the other is moot. we dont know that mike shreds and wanks at home and we dont know if JP plays "arabic scale solos" and just doesnt like the way they sound. or maybe they dont fit with DTs sound.

wasnt it Dimebag who said he doesnt believe in all that? i think he said something along the lines of, he loves guitar so much, that he'll hear someone tooling in their garage and he'll enjoy it. something like that.

Interesting how many people I disagree with here. I think Mike is by far the better soloist, that's reflected by his note choice, the very non-rudimentary nature of his solos, and how they generally go towards enhancing the song as opposed to playing several scale runs and arpeggios.

Moonlapse said:
Interesting how many people I disagree with here. I think Mike is by far the better soloist, that's reflected by his note choice, the very non-rudimentary nature of his solos, and how they generally go towards enhancing the song as opposed to playing several scale runs and arpeggios.

This is what I was thinking when I read the original post. Peter's solos seem to rely much more heavily on scales and modes, whereas Mike's note choices step outside of those regimented runs. He's also generally much faster.

I agree wholeheartedly with Moonlapse. As much as we can all appreciate the skill of a Malmsteen or Paul Gilbert or whoever, the best solos are the ones that suit the song best.

I played "Harvest" for my friend and his girlfriend the other day and I just said that I liked the solo on it (based entirely on Mike's note choice...which is unique and revelatory IMO). Her reaction was, "Oh, I like that". His-"I could play that in my sleep".

Yeah, I thought, you can play that in your sleep, but you couldn't write that in your wildest dreams.

Like the Don said the solo on BWP blows away anythin (i have heard) Petrucci do, it totally fits the song, and is evil as hell. I put Petrucci in the Steve Vai, Clapton category, they are extremely talented but their solos lack emotion, and song writing is sometimes a little dodgy. I think that means I agree with Moonlapse.

Does it really matter who the better guitarist is? Thier solo's have a different flavour which is cool, cuz it doesnt mean every solo sounds the same (Kill em all, and slayer album.

Yeah, it's good to have two fairly distinct guitarists in a band. It puts a unique touch on a song when you've got different parts with different soloing styles, or sometimes parts where there are interweaved solo exchanges... just puts a bit more spice on the music.

when you don't play something, it doesn't mean that you can't play it. so it's hard to tell who's better than the other. Since Mike writes, so we can say that he's better. but i'm sure Peter could write good songs too... :erk:

both are great, that's for certain.

A fair judgement is a very good example of two intertwined solo's spicing up a song.

Also thier different styles are interesting to watch, Peter's style is very beautiful i think to watch. Its like a ballet across the strings.

Someone said that Mike is the faster soloist, I always thought it was peter who shredded and did all the fast stuff.

It was in an interview I read. Mike said he plays in a laid back way, where Peter just beats the hell out of his guitar.

Off topic, but since he's been discussed here...I just got "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess".

If anyone has an ear for classical music, this is excellent and live. Petrucci does play with much more feeling even though he is fast at times. Mostly acoustic, but some electric guitar also. Rudess is incredible, only plays piano...no synth(except maybe a little in one song I think). Dude really is a virtuoso.

Seth