Tarja performing nightwish songs: "thoughts?"

The old songs are partly her's in that she performed them, so it's not odd to me that she'd keep performing them. :guh: Now if she starts singing the new stuff... That's a different matter! :lol:

Watching Tarja perform songs like "Wishmaster" with her own band, is for me like this:

Remember a place you loved as a child? Now imagine going back to that place after 20 years (not having visited that place for 20 years, that is).
Know how everything felt bigger and better when you were a child?
You might still remember what it felt to be in that place as a child, but you can't recall that special feeling.

This is the way I feel when I watch Tarja performing the old NW songs.

I have no problem with Tarja performing NW songs in her solo concerts (any ex-member has done/will do that). I understand that after the release of MWS she didn’t have enough material and NW songs were a logical option. But not after WLB.
My objection is that I have read in some of her older interviews (can't find the exact quotes) that she would like to perform songs that NW never or rarely played live. 'Passion & the Opera' was a very nice surprise at the start of her solo career back in 2007 but 'Wishmaster' & 'Nemo' (the most popular NW songs) don't exactly go hand in hand with her statements. Sure, some might say that she still enjoys them, the NW music is a huge part of her as a singer and what not, but it's ironic really that she chose these two particular songs that she has sung them to no end, as well as covers that she performed with NW for crying out loud (‘Phantom of the Opera,’ ‘Over the Hills’ & ‘Walking in the Air’/she even played ‘Symphony of Distraction’ if I'm not mistaken in one of her South American tours). Every one knows those songs.
So, what's her goal, if she has any? Pleasing her fans? Trying to prove she's the only one that can sing them? Selling more tickets? Whatever happened 'I don't need NW anymore?' If that was the case, why perform their songs?
I've watched a few clips of her solo effort and it's really disappointing that her fans scream their lungs out when a NW song appears in the set list, as opposed to her own material.
Hopefully, the NW material will become less in the future. The ex-NW singer label will follow her for ever, she doesn’t need their songs to follow her too. Some originality will work to her benefit.

So I just finished reading every single post made so far- about their views on Tarja, and unfortunately (to me) you all took the words right out of my mouth! :lol:
I couldn't agree with you people more, as I've always believed that the original vocalist of a successful band; who moves forward with their own solo stuff- should ALWAYS sing some classic hits of what made them famous to begin with!

It's not only a breath of fresh air to the fans, but I find that its also a sign of respect towards the fans as well! To sing at least two or three songs- puts a smile on every fans face regardless if the performance lacks spirit (like C. was saying).

The old songs are partly her's in that she performed them, so it's not odd to me that she'd keep performing them. :guh: Now if she starts singing the new stuff... That's a different matter! :lol:

Had to laugh at that comment^ Could you imagine if they kicked out Anette in a couple of years (or if she randomly decided to leave), and THEN if they reconciled their differences with Tarja!!! Like it just wouldn't sound right if Tarja sang songs off of "Dark Passion Play" and "Imaginarium".

IMO Anette can't sing the originals at all. With the live shows I've seen on youtube, she seems to have butchered popular songs like "Nemo" and "I wish I had an Angel".

Two completely different voices, should only sing the songs they started off with (even though I am aware that Tuomas writes all the lyrics).

But don't get me wrong though- I do love Anette's voice, but for HER SONGS only! Sometimes I think they should of found a singer that could sing opera, instead of pop/rock vocals.

Regardless, I will pay the money to see them live in the Fall... if they do come tour over here in Canada. It will still be worth the money to see Tuomas up close :oops: ha! And I love how you can hear Anette's accent when she sings! :D

^Well, in fairness to Anette, she doesn't have that much material yet with Nightwish, not enough to fill up an entire show with just her stuff. Maybe over the next album or two, but not quite yet. And also, there are always going to be those old songs that fans want to hear, no matter how long she's been in the band.

I used to think that they should have hired an operatic voice too, but now, I realize that it was probably a better move not to, because Tarja fans can be fierce, and no doubt if they'd hired another operatic vocalist, she would have been "roasted alive" a lot more than Anette has been. They would be criticizing every note she didn't hit exactly the way Tarja did/does, they would be constantly comparing the techniques between the two voices, etc. I understand now that the band (namely Tuomas) probably wanted a non-operatic vocalist so that way the voice could be judged for herself, and not constantly as a "Tarja-clone" or as someone trying to fit into Tarja's shoes. Granted, Anette is still judged, but I don't think anyone would ever say that one of the things she is judged on is sounding like Tarja! :lol: At least she is being judged on her own merits, by her own voice; where I don't think another operatic vocalist would be judged as fairly. People would constantly be comparing her voice to Tarja's instead of giving it a fair break on its own.

Ah! I never thought of it that way!
Makes sense! I have always had a lot of respect towards Anette, for being her own person and not portraying some Tarja clone.

I just feel like it sounds karaoke whenever Anette performs one of the older songs. :lol:
Then again, its just like how so many people are critical over "covers" that are posted on youtube; you're always trying to look for the best one :p

LOL, I really hope that Tarja won't ever start performing her versions of "Last ride of the day" or "Song of myself". If she wants to continues performing old NW songs on stage with her own band, then okay. But it doesn't sound the same as it did with NW and ultimately it will make her sound a bit pathetic for continuing to perform them. But personally I feel she should stick to her own music.

^No, that would never happen because they weren't songs that she sang with Nightwish. The "rule" is a little different because those were songs written after she was in the band, so the songs are not associated with her in any way and she would have no reason to sing them. However, "old-era" songs are still "Nightwish" songs, so whoever is the band's singer will always be expected to sing them.

In other words, Tarja became a solo artist separate from Nightwish, not the other way around, so she's only expected to sing the songs that she was a part of. But Nightwish is still Nightwish, so those songs belong to Tuomas, and whoever sings in that band is expected to sing those old-era songs. In other words, Anette is the "Nightwish singer", so she's required to sing "Nightwish songs"; no one would ever expect her to start singing "Boy and the Ghost" or "Die Alive" at Nightwish concerts! :lol: The songs written after Tarja was no longer in the band, she's no part of them whatsoever and I don't think anyone would want or expect for her to sing any of those songs. She'll always be expected to do the Nightwish tunes that she was featured on, the songs everyone will always want to hear, but I don't think we'll ever have to worry about fans shouting at her shows to start singing "Storytime" or "Amaranth". ;)

Surprisingly, this question has come up a lot, and I think David Lee Roth summed it up best: "Sammy will always have to sing my songs, but I'll never have to sing his!"

She'll always be expected to do the Nightwish tunes that she was featured on, the songs everyone will always want to hear, but I don't think we'll ever have to worry about fans shouting at her shows to start singing "Storytime" or "Amaranth". ;)

Well said! :)

I think David Lee Roth summed it up best: "Sammy will always have to sing my songs, but I'll never have to sing his!"

And I love this quote! :D

Tarja won't preform Anette's songs live.. Don't worry.
In an interview with Tarja for a Bulgarian metal magazine she said that she have never heard the new NW album, because she's not interested, but she wishes them luck (BTW I can translate the entire interview here, if you're interested, of course :))
However, despite the fact that Tarja's voice is truly unique she would sound horrible trying to song songs made for Anette..

Hey guys!
Firstly, sorry for not translating the interview I promised, but I traveled to Finland for one Finnish language course and I wasn't able to translate it :(
I'm really sorry guys. I don't have Internet at the house here (I'm not in Helsinki- I'm in Rovaniemi which is located in the Finnish Lapland and it's colllllllllllld as Hell! That's why I only move from the house to the place in which the classes are and then back... No Internet clubs for me!).
I'm writing via my BlackBerry so that's why I can't translate the entire thing..
I'll do it as soon as I can- I promise, but I have no idea how soon it will be..
Huge apologies and much love from Suomi :D

I have no problem with Tarja performing NW songs in her solo concerts (any ex-member has done/will do that). I understand that after the release of MWS she didn’t have enough material and NW songs were a logical option. But not after WLB.
My objection is that I have read in some of her older interviews (can't find the exact quotes) that she would like to perform songs that NW never or rarely played live. 'Passion & the Opera' was a very nice surprise at the start of her solo career back in 2007 but 'Wishmaster' & 'Nemo' (the most popular NW songs) don't exactly go hand in hand with her statements. Sure, some might say that she still enjoys them, the NW music is a huge part of her as a singer and what not, but it's ironic really that she chose these two particular songs that she has sung them to no end, as well as covers that she performed with NW for crying out loud (‘Phantom of the Opera,’ ‘Over the Hills’ & ‘Walking in the Air’/she even played ‘Symphony of Distraction’ if I'm not mistaken in one of her South American tours). Every one knows those songs.
So, what's her goal, if she has any? Pleasing her fans? Trying to prove she's the only one that can sing them? Selling more tickets? Whatever happened 'I don't need NW anymore?' If that was the case, why perform their songs?
I've watched a few clips of her solo effort and it's really disappointing that her fans scream their lungs out when a NW song appears in the set list, as opposed to her own material.
Hopefully, the NW material will become less in the future. The ex-NW singer label will follow her for ever, she doesn’t need their songs to follow her too. Some originality will work to her benefit.

This is something that I have tried to express time and time again, especially how sad it is that fans get so hyped up over her singing old NW material. To me it feels like, despite all their declerations of love for her, they'll never truly appreciate her efforts as a solo artists if they do not stop seeing her as "ex-NW singer" and even wishing she'd come back to NW. It doesn't make sense. I mean, you love Tarja and think she's a musical force to be reckoned with, yet you want her back in a band that kicked her out because uh...she can't truly make it on her own? Well, doesn't that show your faith in her as a singer quite nicely. :)

Am I the only one who doesn't want Tarja back? Performing NW songs is inevitable & expected no matter what we say about it but return to a place in her life & career she wasn’t happy? To a band she was leaving anyway?