Tascam 488 mkII vs. 2488

Fabbio

Yoda
Mar 6, 2005
Milano, Italy
Hi guys!!!

I've always worked in reharsal rooms with my band with a Tascam analog 414 (four tracks, four inputs, cassette tape).

I need an upgrade in equipment since I need more inputs (eight will be just fine) and I started searching for a more advanced Portastudio.

Well, I discovered that the 488 analog aren't in production anymore!!! The fact is: in a reharsal room it's difficult to hear the clipping and you have to go by eye looking ont the lights on the faders and the analog tape if the signal goes to clip usually compress nicely the track recorded.

The 2488 it's basically the same but digital. I work with ProTools LE for the serious tracking but for taking a record of reharsals I'm worried that all the digital trickery won't do any good to a frequently clipping signal.

What should I do? Find a 488 mkII on eBay or give up the Tascam workhorses and go digital even in the reharsal environment?

Fabbio said:
Hi guys!!!

I've always worked in reharsal rooms with my band with a Tascam analog 414 (four tracks, four inputs, cassette tape).

I need an upgrade in equipment since I need more inputs (eight will be just fine) and I started searching for a more advanced Portastudio.

Well, I discovered that the 488 analog aren't in production anymore!!! The fact is: in a reharsal room it's difficult to hear the clipping and you have to go by eye looking ont the lights on the faders and the analog tape if the signal goes to clip usually compress nicely the track recorded.

The 2488 it's basically the same but digital. I work with ProTools LE for the serious tracking but for taking a record of reharsals I'm worried that all the digital trickery won't do any good to a frequently clipping signal.

What should I do? Find a 488 mkII on eBay or give up the Tascam workhorses and go digital even in the reharsal environment?

hey man. i record rehearsals all the time with my computer rig. eventually you know exactly what you are dealing with and you get the settings dialed for your band. sure youll get a few clips here and there. but youll tweak it to the point where you will have extremely listenable rehearsal cds. im really pleased with how it works out. you can even use headphones and get a decent mix going and hear everything more clearly. sometimes we do that other times not. either way you can definetly get the protools rig to work for ya and not have to buy anything else:headbang: .

Man, I see your point, but I rather spend another 1000 euros (900 $ about) than bring my 17'' Powerbook (value in money $3000, value in what I need it for... ...much much more!!! From life to work to a lot of different things) in the smelly, dirty reharsal rooms where it can occur the occasional bass player stomping on the machine (it happened!!!).

I also need more inputs, and the external mixer it's a no-no for me, since I have to be able to mix what I record at home, in peace, with headphones.

Even if I would decide to bring in reharsal room the Mac (but that's NOT gonna happen...) I would need another interface since the MBox only has two inputs.

So...

I know that if I eventually will change recording machine the settings will be accomodated, but the analog, strictly mechanical aspect of the tascam old school made me more at peace with the little incidents that can occur.
So the simpler, the better.

Fabbio said:
Man, I see your point, but I rather spend another 1000 euros (900 $ about) than bring my 17'' Powerbook (value in money $3000, value in what I need it for... ...much much more!!! From life to work to a lot of different things) in the smelly, dirty reharsal rooms where it can occur the occasional bass player stomping on the machine (it happened!!!).

I also need more inputs, and the external mixer it's a no-no for me, since I have to be able to mix what I record at home, in peace, with headphones.

Even if I would decide to bring in reharsal room the Mac (but that's NOT gonna happen...) I would need another interface since the MBox only has two inputs.

So...

I know that if I eventually will change recording machine the settings will be accomodated, but the analog, strictly mechanical aspect of the tascam old school made me more at peace with the little incidents that can occur.
So the simpler, the better.

in that case i would find a korg d1600 used(probably can find one cheap). i used to have one and they are really nice for that and super easy to use.

unsilpauly said:
in that case i would find a korg d1600 used(probably can find one cheap). i used to have one and they are really nice for that and super easy to use.

Ok, I'm checking it out.

I'll gooooogle it and see the specifics.

I'm using TASCAM 688 midi studio. You can have more possibilites. 10 mic inputs and 8 tracks for recording. All is routable the way you want. Try find this machine on ebay. :)