Tascam US-2400, controllers in general

Jan 10, 2005
I've been wanting a controller for a while now, two reasons. One, I miss the Mackie Control Universal I was working with before and two, well...it definitely adds a "wow" factor with clients. I really like the MCU, which I know they make a different version these days, that also happens to be a little more expensive, but for the money I have seen the Tascam US-2400 can't be beat. 24 faders that are motorized and all of the other bells & whistles of the Mackie, whereas the Mackie only has 8, but it is bankable. I have worked with both the single Mackie unit, and also the one with the add-on units. I do not feel I should have to buy extra units to have 24 faders available. And tbh I never really liked switching between banks as sometimes the Mackie would freeze for a few seconds if you went too fast.

I had a question to the US-2400 owners on here. The description says it has a SoftLCD display for each channel, what does it display? Just track name or what? Also, say I have 20 channels in my DAW for instruments, and then I have 4 group channels (using Cubase S4), will the Group channels be the last 4 faders on the controller? Or does it only show regular tracks? I know it has 24 faders on it, but what I can't find out is if I had even just 25 tracks, or 30 tracks going, would I be able to bank over to those or no?

So far I've found some good deals, even on Craigslist locally someone is getting rid of theirs for $500, which seems like a good deal to me. eBay has similar results, $500-700 in good condition. Much better than the price that the Mackie units ask for.

Other than that, my last question is if anyone can recommend something else besides the Mackie or Tascam. I've seen several 1-track controllers, but those seem pretty weak to me, still has the functionality of a controller, but to be honest it just doesn't have the "wow" factor. I know that's kind of retarded, but clients are dumb like that. The more lights, motorized things and the bigger a unit has/is, the better. Obviously I want something that functions as good as it looks. Thoughts?

~006

Answered my own questions with search and found Tascam's product page. So I've found out that I can bank faders, which is awesome. However, does it show Group (Bus) channels as well? Also, what does the SoftLCD display?

~006

the us2400 doesnt display any words at all on the led. the led is for panning and controling plug in parameters.
yes the fader banks include the aux(group) channels(in pt and dp for sure).

the new euphonix system looks sweet. more money but looks way better. i like the us2400 for what it does, but it does feel a bit cheap. ive had mine for two years with no problems yet(knocks on wood). the new euphonix looks way more versatile and will be relevant for a while im sure. im gonna get one when i can afford both parts of the system. good luck dudes.