Tech metal listening suggestions...

Check out some classic Tech Metal and a new band from Italy called Memento Waltz on this beginners guide to TechMetal - it's a special edition of the weekly DPRP Prog Rock and Metal Radio Show.

"From the early days we sample Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower and Sieges Even and follow the progression through Power Of Omens, Spiral Architect, Zero Hour and Canvas Solaris. We also feature two tracks from the impressive debut album by Italy’s Memento Waltz."

(Clean vox only I'm afraid)
You can download the podcast of the show from here

http://www.dprp.net/wp/radio/?p=145

+1 to Martyr. Feeding the Abscess is just plain awesome, too bad they didnt release anything since then.

Ace thread! Ima chime in with some old techy shit:

Demilich+-+Nespithe.jpg

Demilich - Nespithe. Recorded in 1993. Pretty much the direct competitor in the "weird shit" category against Gorguts - Obscura (for me, at least) and an all around awesome "far out" death metal album. A true underground classic.

Vortex(JPN).jpg

Vortex - Colors Out From The Emptiness. Recorded in 2001, I think. Technical dm from Japan in the vein of Pestilence, Death and Cynic. Some songs are patchy and unnecessarily long, but they feature extreme musicianship and tons of strange (but cool) melodies. Duality has to be one of the most depressing death metal songs in history... a slow crusher.

The_Key_-_Front.jpg

Y'all probably know this one. Nocturnus - The Key. Badass guitar/synth work for its day.

0013a1a0_medium.jpeg

Wartime - Against Destiny. Recorded in 2010. Bit of an old-school prog thrasher. Check out Preordained Game, Entrapment Of Time, Atomic Bomb Dome, Awareness.

Hunab Ku do some pretty crazy shit, though they're more bordering on avant-garde.

http://youtu.be/e6DJTD3RG54

I'd also like to recommend The Crinn, The Last of Lucy, Journal, Orgone, and Paria.

Check out the Mathcore Index if you haven't. They have a blog to freely download unsigned bands' music (with the band's permission) and links to other tech-metal related sites. The link to the Mecha Organa site takes you to where you can download 5-6 compilation CD's full of tech bands.