Technical/Prog Metal

alan3827 said:
Listen to these:

Sceptic - Pathetic Being
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes ; Warpzone
Atheist - All Albums
Theory in Practice

I'm familiar with the top 3, all excellent bands(Especially Martyr). But I can't say I've heard Thoery in Practice, I'll have to check them out!

Thanks

Gorguts' Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate are both excellent tech death albums.

Watchtower

there's also another band I saw advertised in the new Metal Maniacs for fans of SA and Cynic...forgot the name though

Yeah, Watchtower come to my mind immediately, as well. Their 1989 "Control & Resistance" is definitely a mighty album and a masterpiece of technical metal. But I haven't listened to it quite some time and I don't know if the album can stand the test of time.

Here's what the Allmusic Guide says about it:

Considered to be one of the founders of the progressive metal genre made popular by bands like Dream Theater and Fates Warning, Watchtower did not stay together long enough to reap the benefits of their creativity. Their first recording, Energetic Disassembly, hinted at their innovations and talent, but it was Control and Resistance that marked the arrival of a fresh and important voice in the history of both progressive rock and heavy metal. Drawing heavily from bands such as Rush, Queensryche, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, and fusion bands, Watchtower carved out a distinctive sound by combining the most extreme elements of their influences. The result was a series of complex, dark, and heavy songs that would eventually become the blueprint for progressive metal. Guitarist Ron Jarzombek, who replaced Billy White, brings a Holdsworth influence with him, which adds to the music's diversity. While averting commercial success, the band is typically cited as groundbreaking by their peers. The music herein may sound dated, especially the falsetto vocals of Alan Tecchio, but there is enough here to appreciate and enjoy both from a historical and musical perspective. — Robert Taylor

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311180759382320&sql=Ahrk9ikp6bbo9

I don't know if I'd call Andromeda technical metal...they're more of a prog band as a whole. yes, they are technical...but not in the same vein as Spiral Architect and Cynic

I forgot about canvas solaris, that reminds me of another band that might appeal to you - SUN CAGED? They are pretty durn technical, and their bass player plays a seven string cause he thinks he's tough. They were probably more technical (not to mention interesting) on their demos that they had (have? I haven't looked at it since their album came out) like Killer Banshee. Their self-titled LP has some of the most god-awful vocals ever, but the music is really cool on some of the tracks.
Zero Hour is pretty darn slick, they're more about rhythmic complexity than anything else though. I'd recommend Towers of Avarice.
You MIGHT like Ephel Duath, it's not prog metal but it is heavy, complex music with a lot of jazz influence. There are some weird clean vocals that sound kinda like Mike Patton but mostly it's hardcore style screaming.
I'd also recommend Dysrhythmia. They're probably punk influenced if anything, I'm not really sure how to classify them. They don't have a singer. Their music sounds kinda like really complex hardcore (the genre) jam sessions, with the bass as loud as the guitar.