Real Jazz Metal?

Alright here's your band: Yakuza. They opened up for Mastodon a few weeks back. Which IMO Mastodon's 'Remission' deserves album of the year !! Actually the headliner was Dillinger Escape Plan - don't understand what all the fuss is about this band. Avant noise jazz shit is what I call it. Just because they play crazy guitar rythyms tinged with jazz with a screaming banshee on vocals doesn't make 'em talented.

On the other hand I was impressed with what I saw from Yakuza. Only caught the last 15 minutes of their set. A pair of sax on the stage backed by a killer band. I don't know how they did it, but it worked. I definitely recommend 'em!

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.yakuzadojo.com/

Enjoy...

I can't believe no one's mentioned Candiria, yet. They're like a mix of hardcore, metal, jazz, and hip-hop. They have a trumpet player. Very cool stuff, and each genre they mix is done tastefully.

I like them.

oh yeah, candiria are close to "real jazz metal", with horns and stuff. They have a jazz side project called "Ghosts in the Canal", which is more of an ambient avant jazz style.

Candiria's interesting. They seem to have a lot of label issues though don't they? They aren't on CM anymore I don't think.

Side note about them -- a guy I knew in college played piano on one of their earlier albums.. I think it was piano (it's been awhile) That's how I first heard of the band like 3 years ago.. I should get some of their stuff aside from just mp3s.