Metal + Jazz ?

Originally posted by Zemb
- I already know Maudlin of the well

- I don't consider Opeth as metling Extreme Metal and Jazz, i'm more looking for bands putting lot of Jazz in their Metal (like Forgotten Silence, Pain Killer...)

So anyone has more ideas ?

If you're looking for jazzy metal, these are your best bets, most already mentioned:

Atheist
Cynic
Spastic Ink
Spiral Architect
WatchTower
Aghora
Gordian Knot

Originally posted by pac1288

the only type of music that you could really relate it to is jazz/the style.for instance the guitar,bands that fuse jazz with metal have a particular style when playing the guitar.like when they are doing a solo it will have that influence in it not all solos but some,same goes with the drums ,and thats why people will label it as a jazz influenced band,thats all.There is nothing really to hate about it,people say its jazz/metal fusion because of the style thats it.

Bands like cynic,pestilence/spheres,athiest,and Opeth to name a few utilize jazz elements within there music aswell.Man if a person is unable to see that then there is something seriously wrong with there perception.

I forgot to add this response to that last post
but that statement is exactly what I am talking about.

It is arbitrary to label the influence as jazz. Jazz spawned from the blues, so why is it not said to be a blues influence for example. These bands that I refer to are not using the fusion of styles the way that bands like the Mahavishnu Orchestra used them so it should not be rationalized as the same style. I'm also not saying that there are not bands that actually fuse metal and jazz. I took a class from the bassist of cynic at a guitar workshop a couple of years ago. This guy was amazing and there are definite ways in which he fused styles. However, using the label jazz is random since it is all just music.

Originally posted by Surge
I forgot to add this response to that last post
but that statement is exactly what I am talking about.

It is arbitrary to label the influence as jazz. Jazz spawned from the blues, so why is it not said to be a blues influence for example. These bands that I refer to are not using the fusion of styles the way that bands like the Mahavishnu Orchestra used them so it should not be rationalized as the same style. I'm also not saying that there are not bands that actually fuse metal and jazz. I took a class from the bassist of cynic at a guitar workshop a couple of years ago. This guy was amazing and there are definite ways in which he fused styles. However, using the label jazz is random since it is all just music.

Labels are simply shorthand descriptions. They are be no means intended to define or limit a band. However, for labels to have any use, they must be as accurate as possible considering their brevity. Thus "jazz metal" as opposed to "blues metal" or "impressionist metal" or "to rocks banging together metal" (as all music is ultimately derived from the first hominid to experiment with rocks in rhythm...).

Atheist (Elements, Unquestionable Presence, hints on Piece of Time)
Cynic (Focus, not sure of the demos)
Death (on couple of songs)
Pestilence (Spheres)
Sadist

Hmm I heard some band who played Funeral Doom/Jazz awhile ago..can't remember what they were called. I'll get back to you on that.

alot of these so called jazz metal bands dont have any jazz, or any real jazz as far as i can see. they dont swing, they dont use jazz harmony, they dont improvise, theres no real diatonic shifts. personally i think whenever someone hears something that is clean and odd sounding they call it jazzy. the closet "metal + jazz" band ive heard isnt really metal (they have some blues/blues-rock sort of stuff), is tribal tech, but i definetely would not call them metal

to me, unless a band has a significant jazz influence, by which i mean stuff like jazz harmony theory / scale theory, jazz styled improv, etc. i wont call them jazz metal or whatever. if they just throw in a 7th chord with a tension every now and again i wont call them jazz by any stretch

dwoakee, ive never heard of such a group before. if you find one, will you let me know?

well pretty much every band has 'jazz' influence, if you want to be like that. blastbeats came from jazz, so pretty much every death metal band would be jazzy, right?

Alex Skolnick (from Testament) Trio is a jazz trio (with guitar, not piano though) that covers a lot of well-known rock and metal sings. They are usually really good

Yeah, not bad at all. But I still want it to be more on the Jazz side. I've watched them do a cover of War Pig on youtube. It sounds jazzy at times, but often it's pretty rockish.

I just recalled that I saw a free-jazz trio many years ago consisting of a drummer, a double-bass, and a saxophone playing a cover of Born to be Wild. They f***ing rocked! It was sooooo heavy! It was a german band called "Das vorläufige amtliche Endergebnis".