Metal + Jazz ?

maudlin of the well and sculptured. both have an opethish sound at times that gives way to full blown jazz with trumpet and saxaphone solos.

Candiria is way more rapcore than metal. Not for many people's taste...
Dillinger Escape plan if you like some of the most weird music you will ever run into using extreme dissonance with too much distorsion to be healthy and braking into jazz interludes that seem to only prepare you for more musial violence against the ears.

I hate when people say that there is jazz influence in a metal band simply because there is something in the music that is unlike the norm. Sometimes I think that the people that say these things do not listen to jazz at all.

I am not talking about any of the other bands mentioned here because I have not heard most of them but I do know that the only reason Opeth was ever said to have jazz influnce was because there was that one part in "To Bid You Farewell" where they use Wes Montgomery style octaves in a guitar interlude. (before the part where he says, "I stand motionless...) People just like to say that there are jazz elements for certain reasons.

Originally posted by Surge
I hate when people say that there is jazz influence in a metal band simply because there is something in the music that is unlike the norm. Sometimes I think that the people that say these things do not listen to jazz at all.

I am not talking about any of the other bands mentioned here because I have not heard most of them but I do know that the only reason Opeth was ever said to have jazz influnce was because there was that one part in "To Bid You Farewell" where they use Wes Montgomery style octaves in a guitar interlude. (before the part where he says, "I stand motionless...) People just like to say that there are jazz elements for certain reasons.

Thats sort of a odd reply in regard to jazz influenced metal bands.

If a metal band has a jazz influence it has a jazz influence thats all it is and thats its ever been.
Yeah of course these metal bands with jazz elements don't sound like a actual jazz band obviously but there just elements,and the only type of music that you could really relate it to is jazz/the style.for instance the guitar,bands that fuse jazz with metal have a particular style when playing the guitar.like when they are doing a solo it will have that influence in it not all solos but some,same goes with the drums ,and thats why people will label it as a jazz influenced band,thats all.There is nothing really to hate about it,people say its jazz/metal fusion because of the style thats it.

Bands like cynic,pestilence/spheres,athiest,and Opeth to name a few utilize jazz elements within there music aswell.Man if a person is unable to see that then there is something seriously wrong with there perception.

- I already know Maudlin of the well

- I don't consider Opeth as metling Extreme Metal and Jazz, i'm more looking for bands putting lot of Jazz in their Metal (like Forgotten Silence, Pain Killer...)

So anyone has more ideas ?