Ted's Van Halen poll

Indeed Electronicoil and tedvanfrehley that has always been my opinion. They should go back to basics! Just ROCK!! Van Halen used to be among my top bands. They used to release their albums just when the summer started. For me that was the initiation of the summer. I remember when "Women and Children First" came out. I loved that album and still do. Anyway, I blew up my speakers because I played it so fucking loud!

I still think "Lost control" is one of their best songs and a very progressive composition. We would call that song progressive hard rock now ;)

Man! Van Halen used to be THE SHIT!! :headbang:

YES! I didn't get to elaborate earlier Hawk, because I was holding the baby...but now she's in bed so here goes...

When Gary Cherone joined VH I cringed, but I had hope. He's a great singer. And even though the VH3 album was somewhat of a tank, I thought...(it sounded bloated to me...too watered down...there was some great playing but no good choruses or the trademark Michael Anthony high harmonies!) I still had hope for them on tour...and they proved themselves live. Cherone sang GREAT and they even brought out the old tunes like MEAN STREETS and ROMEO DELIGHT not to mention UNCHAINED!!!! Cherone did great on those....and the Hagar stuff as well. What the hell was up with his stage antics though? I don't think he had a good stage presence for VH but the singing was great. It made me hope for a second album with Cherone and then that one may have just rocked. BUT ALAS, I think David Lee Roth is the greatest frontman ever...next to Paul Stanley. Van Halen was a wild animal with Roth and when Hagar joined, I still love 'em mind you...but they lost that BALLZOUT swagger. I really hate to say this but maybe it was the Coke?!?! hahaha Anyway, I agree with LOSS OF CONTROL being a greeeeeeeeeeeat freakin' tune and one that's overlooked. No offense to anybody but I don't see how anybody can say VH is better with Hagar...I mean, the musicianship is probably better and his vocal ability is WAY above Roths...but it's like comparing Guns N Roses on APPETITE to Guns N Roses on Use Your Illusion I and II. They are all great albums, but come on! APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION is just devastatingly awesome. I've never met ANYBODY who didn't love that album! Then, the next thing ya know Axl is wearing a kilt, with a damn UMPIRE's chest padding on and singing about November Rain and Civil Wars? Get back on the damn Nighttrain, buddy! Such is my belief on the Mighty Van Halen. WHen they were live onstage with ROTH, they were the greatest band EVER.

I used to worship Eddie and the rest of VH backin'thaday, and still get a wee bit nostalgic when I hear 1984 (going on 6th grade field trips and the principal having a radio station on the bus with "Jump" seemingly playing all day long!!). I still believe that Eddie Van Halen is, without a doubt, one of the top three greatest guitarists of our generation.

However, as I rapidly approach old age :Spin: :Spin: , I realize with a more objective mind that VH definitely shortchanged themselves musically (certainly not financially!). I had this conversation recently with a co-worker who is a 49 year old part-time blues guitar player, and he and I agreed completely. VH were radio rock staples for years, but should have gone past that eventually and, IMO, maybe should have done a little more musician-based music.

The closest that they ever got to that category was on the album with the siamese twins on it. God, it's been so long I can't even think of the goddamn name of it. Anyways, it was the last album with Hagar on vocals, and the first song on that album was called "The Seventh Seal" (I think). This was territory that I rarely saw them delve into, and I thought that song was phenomenal. Unfortunately, they've never come close to that again. :cry: :cry: :cry:

So, for me, No to the greatest hits album, no to the massively overpriced concert ticket, and a maybe to a full length album (I'll try to hear it first!)

Word to my momma.

Walter_Langkowski said:
I still believe that Eddie Van Halen is, without a doubt, one of the top three greatest guitarists of our generation.

However, as I rapidly approach old age :Spin: :Spin: , I realize with a more objective mind that VH definitely shortchanged themselves musically (certainly not financially!).

I respect Eddie, and agree to a degree, but he just sort of "gave up" being a guitar God in favor of a mediocre keyboardist and stopped really progressing on guitar. Had he kept up his chops no telling how good he could have been, but in the mid-80's people caught up to him even at his own style. Most notably, The "Italian Stallion" Vito Bratta from White Lion ate Eddie's lunch and drank his cool-aid as well. Had Vito been in a band that would have offered a better style for his guitar work there is no telling how good he could have been, but that's another topic.

As far as VH short-changing themselves (and fans) I agree to a degree as well. I think the band matured and naturally evolved, but I don't think they evolvedthe way they should have. I think Hagar blows Roth away as a vocalist, but the band lost something and I don't really think it had anything to do with Roth or Hagar.

Bryant