Tempo of the Damned: My Turn

Lies and Perfidy

Gentleman of the Road
Nov 27, 2002
Washington, Washing-Ton
thefinger.wordpress.com
Thanks much to DE for sending this one my way. Here's the review I just wrote for Encyclopaedia Metallum, which oughta be posted by tomorrow.

Shoot thrash again, it ain't dead yet - 85/100

After over a decade of way more shit than any band should have to go through, Exodus has finally pulled themselves together and put out an album. With their legacy of brutal, riff-heavy thrash, their disappointing last couple albums, and all the hype surrounding "the return of the Slay Team!" Exodus has a lot to live up to with Tempo of the Damned. Do they deliver?

Simply put - oh yeah. Tempo is a true beast of an album, a combination of ripping thrash and weighty groove reminiscient of Overkill's WFO, as well as of their own Fabulous Disaster. The guitars shred, the bass is powerful and very audible, the drums are fast and solid, and Steve Souza has never sounded this good in his life. As a matter of fact, the highlight of the album overall is probably Zetro's vocal ownage, in which he adds some Mille Petrozza near-growls ("War Is My Shepherd") and throat-ripping shrieks ("Tempo of the Damned") to his usual arsenal of snarls and squeals.

As for the songs, the major highlights are to be found at the beginning of the album; one of the best 1-2-3 punches I've heard in a long time in "Scar Spangled Banner," the afore-mentioned "Shepherd," and "Blacklist." The opening track is that rarest of creatures in modern years, an anti-war metal song done right. Remember "Disposable Heroes" and "Two Minutes To Midnight"? Exodus does, and they produced a fast-paced song with an excellently intricate main riff, great drumming, and an enraged, yet catchy chorus. "Shepherd" is one of the fastest songs on the album and bears a certain resemblance to the Bonded By Blood days, and Zetro's growls in the chorus are truly fearsome. "Blacklist" is a chugging track that reminds of "And Then There Were None"; while not as technical, "Blacklist" is damn catchy, and has a great intro riff that pops up again at the 3-minute mark and once more at about 5:30.

Now, the bad. Unfortunately, Gary Holt saw fit to re-record a track ("Throwing Down") from his largely unsuccessful Wardance project; with no offense meant to Mr. Holt, I can see why Wardance didn't get anywhere. The opening riff isn't bad, but it gives way a boring, Machine Head-ish chug followed by a downright embarassing latter-day Pantera chorus. The vocal melody sucks too...an injustice to the rejuvenated Zetro.

Despite that moment of disappointment, the Bay Area boys redeem themselves with the closing title track. The first two minutes of "Tempo" are faster than anything else on the album, and simply fucking KILL the listener. After a good midpaced solo, the speed kicks back in leading up to Souza's final vicious screams - great stuff.

Another notable track is the album epic, "Forward March," which boasts a nice set of riffs as well as some questionable vocals that, while not really rap, honestly sound pretty crappy. The extended guitar solos in the middle rock, though, so the song turns out good. "Culling the Herd" is a nice triplet-driven tune with a middle lead guitar section that downright swings. "Impaler" is a leftover from the Baloff days that, while not worthy of a place on <i>Bonded By Blood</i>, kicks a fair amount of old-school ass here.

While not exactly a mind-boggling effort, Tempo of the Damned proves that thrash metal is alive and well on the Left Coast, and is a great listen for anybody yearning for the days when men were men, women wore Death Angel babydolls, and only poseurs cut their hair. Vicious, solid and reassurring.

Reactions: Dead_Lioness
Pyrus said:
Now, the bad. Unfortunately, Gary Holt saw fit to re-record a track ("Throwing Down") from his largely unsuccessful Wardance project; with no offense meant to Mr. Holt, I can see why Wardance didn't get anywhere. The opening riff isn't bad, but it gives way a boring, Machine Head-ish chug followed by a downright embarassing latter-day Pantera chorus. The vocal melody sucks too...an injustice to the rejuvenated Zetro.

Despite that moment of disappointment, the Bay Area boys redeem themselves with the closing title track. The first two minutes of "Tempo" are faster than anything else on the album, and simply fucking KILL the listener. After a good midpaced solo, the speed kicks back in leading up to Souza's final vicious screams - great stuff.

Another notable track is the album epic, "Forward March," which boasts a nice set of riffs as well as some questionable vocals that, while not really rap, honestly sound pretty crappy.
:wave:

I give you an A-.......on your review.......You are an exception to my rule, your young, but miles ahead of most kids your age(on not just EXO....but Metal in General)........maybe its the water in the Richmond District, cause I was miles ahead of everyone at your age also!.........I respect your opinions more & more..........and I'm glad your a big part of this board, and you are very Metal indeed!.......Give this young man some stripes, he's moving up in the Metal World!

Lykorian said:
Your opinion on this subject is like the Weed where you live.......Weak......and mostly Dirt Weed!........Thats experience talking on both items........your opinion & the Pot in your area..........Take it as you will........But thats my opinion!

Hey Pyrus... Your review is very good! Interresting to read and so objective!!

One of my favorites one TotD is Shroud of Urine... That melodic break in the solo is so good!

Culling the Herd is awesome too! Cool heavy riff to bang to while stopping beside a grandma at a red light in your car!!!

Also... don't you love that part where Zetro sing: "I'm no patriot ...just a HATEtriot" in scar spangled banner??

Thanks for reading, all.

Officer: As far as I'm concerned, the essence of Helloween is Twilight of the fucking Gods and the 26 different riffs (I counted) of Halloween. Boo on the cheese.

Larf: Yeah, that Hatetriot line is pretty sweet.

Deadly: So do I get like the Magic Thrasher Password now, that lets me get free beer at the Pound? :D Thanks a lot, man.

Incidentally, UltraBoris (sort of the be all, end all of online thrash reviewers) gave Tempo a 91 and verbally creamed all over it, so everyone's going to fall in line praising it now. Things are looking up for Exodus.

Deadly Embrace said:
They know good music.......they know Metal.........Period!

This coming from someone who doesn't even like Nevermore and thinks Warrel's voice is too "wierd".

Hey Pyrus! Nice writing...good read!

Good writting Pyrus ... indeed .. i liked it very much!

now after reading DE, HL, ON, P rewievs i think i am gonna jump in time to February when this record will be set free in Europe - but probably in Poland we gonna get it in March or I don't even wanna predict when ... fuck ... :ill:

The same dissapointment we had with their tour - we had a Exogig scheduled for November 2003 (was it Nov HPoE?) and then .... three weeks before it it was cancelled ... :confused: eeehhhh.

Dear Pyrus, ( :lol: )

I am unable to rep you again, so I'll just add a comment here.

I'm truly impressed with your writing, and how much you've grown doing it. I've read the stuff in your link as your sig, so...I've been seeing you grow by leaps and bounds. Pretty soon, you'll be ready for interviews, if not already.

Nice work. Very well written, especially since it's so clear & concise, whether I agreed with your take on the music, I respected and understood your viewpoint. I like the more impartial takes on music, and you kicked it in the nuts with this one.

Thanks very much, Hemi...I really appreciate the extended comments. I'm probably gonna try to get an interview with Warrel Dane for UMR next time Nevermore comes around. I'm glad you liked the review.

Thanks to TL, MI, and soulfly.

DE - the first thing I heard about Tempo was Warrel telling my sister that it kicked ass. They know metal, alright...give 'em a listen. Dig up Dreaming Neon Black if you've got it - Tim Calvert played guitar on that album, so it's pretty damn thrashy.

MindInsane said:
This coming from someone who doesn't even like Nevermore and thinks Warrel's voice is too "wierd".

QUOTE]

Nevermore is not my favorite, granted, but I do respect them & their loyal fans, & what they're doing.........Metal!.......Flame me MI........But respect is earned!

Pyrus said:
Thanks very much, Hemi...I really appreciate the extended comments. I'm probably gonna try to get an interview with Warrel Dane for UMR next time Nevermore comes around. I'm glad you liked the review.

Thanks to TL, MI, and soulfly.

DE - the first thing I heard about Tempo was Warrel telling my sister that it kicked ass. They know metal, alright...give 'em a listen. Dig up Dreaming Neon Black if you've got it - Tim Calvert played guitar on that album, so it's pretty damn thrashy.

You're welcome, Py. I've told you before that I think you're an extremely bright kid, and I'll say it again. You're going to go places with that large brain. Yup, the Never-dudes are huge fans of Bay Area thrash!

Deadly Embrace said:
MindInsane said:

QUOTE]

Nevermore is not my favorite, granted, but I do respect them & their loyal fans, & what they're doing.........Metal!.......Flame me MI........But respect is earned!
Oh don't worry DE..it's infinitely obvious that you have no respect for me..I know it and now the rest of the board knows it. As far as flaming goes..you can refer to your posts on the last Exodus thread....you're the pro not me.