Thanks for the greatest thing to happen to NZ since the invention of the toaster!

auckland gig was hailz az

caught up with the band at hysteria later on - apologised to Mike for requesting Killswitch Engage in the song breaks; he was ignoring me apparently...

:p

and we got one more song than ausi didn't we?

:Smokin:

AMAZING show, simply incredible. Long, something from almost every album, played damn well, and i got Leper Affinity.....thank you opeth, you made this cunt's night, weekend, month and year.

Awesome night, got to meet the band before the show at the back door, were really friendly and signed stuff for us. Concert was amazing....Ghost of Perdition, White Cluster and Closure were mind-blowing....so were Delieverance and Leper Affinity, ok so the whole setlist was....great night indeed....

what a night!!!!!!!! I still can't believe I've seen them live. I feel somewhat empty though now that it's all over.
I thought I was gonna cry when the intro music and the smoke started!!!!! Anyways...I am sooo sorry I didn't take my camera, I thought they were gonna confiscate it at the door. FUCK. Please, Franzi send the link for photos and vid!!!! It' be very much appreciated.

THANKS OPETH!!!!!!! \m/

Moonlapse said:
Oh yeah, they played auckland tonight didn't they. 'gratz guys, hope you enjoyed it. And to that guy we met at Melb #2 who was from NZ, especially hope you enjoyed it, man.

Hey dude, yeah that was me :kickass: Great to meet you. I will say this Melbourne #2 OWNS all, including the NZ gig. The sound was not the best at Auckland. The levels were all f*cked, especially the bass. I actually expected that, because most bands sounds crap over here, I think it's usually down to the venue and the fact that we have now laws on DB levels like you guys do. So my plugs came in handy - the first time I've had to use 'em for Opeth! But still, it was Opeth and I got to spend a lot more time with them after the gig than Melb #2. I've got pics and audio for both gigs to come...:headbang:

Pethical said:
YES! You well know it was the greatest night ever. i want to make a "i witnessed melb 2 '06" shirt. fuck it was spectacular

Amen (corner) man! :heh: It was great to meet you too dude!! How many times did you meet the boys anyway? Did Mikael get sick of you? :)

That viking hat Mike was wearing was class! :headbang:
But holy shit what a night. The St James was an unbelievable venue, and to me the sound just got better as the night progressed. Plus it was my first proper metal gig so I had no expectations of how the sound would be.

The funniest part of the night was seeing some young guy next to me dressed in Opeth merch yell out for the encore "Still life!!! ..play Still life!" haha the poor kid will be waiting for eternity for that song...

Closure was just unbelievable. I maintain this song is the best on Damnation, and last night's improvised version just slayed. Yeah, can't say too much more. I'll be keen to see the pics Franzi uploads :kickass:

The venue could have been better. The under-agers were allowed to use the Mezzanine (seated tiers looking down on the band) and queued through the back. Us older guys (ID required), queued through the normal entrance and had the pit to ourselves. The idea was to separate the two groups so only the legal people could buy booze. Would have been nice to have a compromise for both because I'd been waiting outside since 11AM (yes, bitches!) and my feet were killing me.

I loved the "Cunt!" <finger in the air> bit. I have to say, I'm surprised at how many younger people are being turned onto Opeth. No, not a bad thing. Just an observation...

Mikael also offered his blue whale PRS to the crowd like in Melb #2. Again, no takers...:lol:

OpethNZ said:
all i can say is WOW, pure bliss, absolute landmark in my life i almost shit myself when they pulled out some of those songs, and 2 hours 10mins set, well opeth thankyou so much for treating us so well, feel free to come back anytime, also got me one of the tour shirts, nice piece of memeorabilia, along with remembering this concert as one of the greatest events ever. hellllll yeah :headbang:

Damn, where were they selling merch? I missed that.
I have awesome photos coming soon. I may have to link or shrink them, they're bloody massive.

Apparently my mate (who's supposed to be sending them) has the opening to GoP on vid.

And while I'm at it: What is that awesome opening music they use? I love that.

SanctuaryNZ said:
Amen (corner) man! It was great to meet you too dude!! How many times did you meet the boys anyway? Did Mikael get sick of you?

cheers man, you too! lol peter is probably sick of me, ive met him three times and the rest of the guys twice. i have changed quite a bit since i met them in 04 so i doubt they remember, even though i was going ballistic at both encounters :)

Aw damn. Well at least I can get them cheap online. :)

I'll post the actual gig photos in the " All links to photos of Opeth - put them here please!" thread.
Anyways, here's a teaser photo of us with Mike before the gig (I'm on the far right):
jamiemiketimchris.jpg

And here's one with me looking like a goddamned nob - didn't have time to do the horns :mad:
DSC04668.jpg

SanctuaryNZ said:
The venue could have been better. The under-agers were allowed to use the Mezzanine (seated tiers looking down on the band) and queued through the back. Us older guys (ID required), queued through the normal entrance and had the pit to ourselves. The idea was to separate the two groups so only the legal people could buy booze. Would have been nice to have a compromise for both because I'd been waiting outside since 11AM (yes, bitches!) and my feet were killing me.

Uhhh, thats not true. The under-agers could go anywhere - i was right next to a couple of them, and i was at the rail just above the mosh. Hahahah and why oh why did you wait there for so long? Didn't you realise that even when you got 'inside' there'd still be the inner doors to contend with?

Ha, someone was yelling out for them to play Damnation as well... hope they were joking. The underages were supposed to go in the seated area, the ones that you saw must have had fake IDs or got in with a guardian.

The sound wasn't great, couldn't hear the keyboards for the first half of the gig from where I was, (second row in the mosh pit.. right in front of Mr Akerfeldt) but it definitely got better throughout the night. Closure was fucking incredible.

Twas awesome meeting the band before and after the show... waiting around the back of St. James since 10:30 in the morning definitely paid off, and seeing them at Hysteria was wicked as well. Mikael wrote 'Heavy Birthday' on my lamentations DVD after I told him it was my 18th.

Amazing night... my girlfriend got a grand total of 175 pictures, i'll upload some soon.

ok. Best night out & concert ever!!!! The concert itself was mindblowing got pics with Mike, peter & Martin after the gig behind the back of the st james & managed to see them again later on at Hysteria and have a good chat to all 3 of them. Not sure where Axe and Per were didn't see them. The highlight of the night though has to be smoken a joint with Mendez outside Hysteria!!!!

FuneralPortrait said:
Ha, someone was yelling out for them to play Damnation as well... hope they were joking. The underages were supposed to go in the seated area, the ones that you saw must have had fake IDs or got in with a guardian.

Ha, well the whole thing was messed up with the underages. We met them while lining up, and they were pretty shocked when i told them it was r18...so when they got to the bouncers and were asked for ID, they told him that they were sold the tickets as an all ages gig...the bouncer immediately clicked on his radio and said "dude, i told you - its all fucking ages out here". So they got in no problem, and were never told to go upstairs. I guess they must've decided on that rule afterwards.

Hahahah and im not surprised in the least to hear that you smoked one with mendez, Benighted1. He looked wasted the entire concert.

...though i guess he generally does

FuneralPortrait said:
my girlfriend got a grand total of 175 pictures, i'll upload some soon.

Yeah man, get some of those pictures up there! and some fucking vid footage! (...maybe head over to the Opeth Tribute forum for a little 'private discussion' hmm?)

Great fucking night!!... pity we were too sore and fucked to bother staying around (or going back up) to see the band :(