That Cabinett comparison thread by Andy

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Does anyone have a link to the thread where andy compares different cabs? Not looking for the actual samples, but where he talks about them...
Tried the search function a dozen times without luck.

Also, those samples sounds very scooped...anyone knows how he did that?
My owm 5150 -> any of those marshall or Mesa cabs -> 57 sounds alot less scooped and more rock'n'roll'ish....

Yeah...TS9....Also, andy has that really cool crunch in the top I can't get no matter what I do....yikes....is he a magician or something?

Yes, of course...mic placement...I know that's probably the most important ting ever.

However, what about active EMG's vs passive pickups? Can active pickups add that nice "sizzle" (not fizz) in the highs?

Yeah...TS9....Also, andy has that really cool crunch in the top I can't get no matter what I do....yikes....is he a magician or something?

I personally think Andy is just like any of us, only smarter and hardworking. He has mastered all aspects of the METAL ARTs, every little detail between writing to final mastering, and that makes a huge difference on the final product. In this case, to master the guitar sound we have to learn everything from pick angle to the A/D converter…. is not as simple as you might expect.

Considering that we are still shooting in the dark without a sample of your recording or a pic of the mic placement you’re using, I will assume that you have the tone you want coming out of the amp and just can’t capture it.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/274717-sneap-micing-techniques.html is the thread that should replace That "Clayman" sound.... as a sticky IMO, and for some unknown reason keeps being buried. It’s the best micing thread I’ve read on this forum. Check it out and see if your mic is setup as shown on the photos.

If you don’t get any improvement, you’ll have to upload some samples, pics and give us more details of what you’re doing.

...well.. i've also heard it was a 5150. I guess there is a little unclarity about that.....