The 100 greatest Black/Death-metal bands(and more strange lists)

they may be worth the shit, but theyve nothing to do with bm or dm. I saw them live a coupla weeks ago - they suck terribly! Nick Holmes is a fucking bored jerk, he looked like the only thing he needed was a bullet through his head.

hm well lost paradise, gothic and shades of god are really dark and doomy albums but I wouldnt say its death metal. its gothic metal hehe
I liked them until draconian times and also bought the last albums until symbol of life but now Im not interested anymore:sad: but I missed them on their last tour, I wnated to go there because of orphaned land but unfortunally I had visit this evening(someone who never heard of paradise lost and would pay 25 € for that)

@erik: noob my ass, if you think lost paradise has something to do with death metal, its your problem. I think it doesnt. I have all albums from PL, despite the fact that, as solefald here said, after Draconian Times it got really worse (Host is really ugly), but its my favourite band, so I follow them on their road. And the new era isnt that bad, songs like Say Just Words or Mouth are pretty cool and others too (too bad they dont play them live, fools).

marduk1507 said:
@erik: noob my ass, if you think lost paradise has something to do with death metal
Lost Paradise is doom/death, but it actually rarely goes into doom metal tempos so for most parts it's death metal. I mean, it's got death metal riffs, death metal vocals, what the fuck else do you want from a death metal album

Their genre is said to be death/doom in the early days, but you can't possibly think they're a death metal band? I mean, one can spot some death metal elements in their early stuff, but it's hardly a death metal band.
Death metal has evolved so much, while PL went to a completely opposite direction. I don't even like to put the word death metal any near PL. Death metal is something so different. I mean, I'm sure you know, I just wanted to explain my point of view...and no, I didn't want to sound patronizing.

Bolt Thrower, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Brutality, Sinister etc. those are DEATH METAL bands... the list could be longer if I put some younger bands, but I think you can realize what I'm aiming at.

King Chaos said:
Is there a difference between Paradise lost and Lost Paradise or are you just being weird and swapping the word order to confuse guys like me who arn't that into doom?

paradise lost is the name of a band. lost paradise is the title of their first album.

paradise lost invented the gothic metal, where elements of doom and death metal(like the vocals) were put into a slow dark music with these gothic influences of sisters of mercy,joy division, the cure and others.
for me they never were death metal, they are gothic metal(now more metal than 5 years ago :D)
they tried to do something different with basic elements of metal and other music to create a new genre who is based on doom/death

rahvin said:
i had forgot about lost paradise. but isn't gothic supposed to be doom or something? not that i'm good with genre-tagging.
"Gothic" is deathdoom, pretty much, and it was real early with symphonic elements and the kind of riffing/lead gt style that Katatonia would take to extremes on "Brave Murder Day" and especially "Sounds of Decay". So yeah, it's doom, but on the very outskirts of doom metal, like Katatonia.

Random point: "Gothic" IS NOT GOTHIC METAL
CONTRARY TO POPULAR OPINION

exactly! and Dimmu should also be way higher. And for the comment that Old Mans Child being a generic blackmetal band>not true at all! They make excellent melodic Black metal. Galder is a brilliant musician. Dunno but this list seems very wrong.

@erik: I agree that "Gothic" is definitely not gothic metal, that was solefalds mistake, they didnt invent gothic metal, but doom (as it is said, I dont really know, but could be, maybe My Dying Bride were around then, too). And what I meant by death was explained by TheNewBuild so... ta da (as she likes to say ;) ).