THE 2010 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES

muzmaze

pyramontyrsuidvan
Mar 28, 2006
N.H., USA
I love all that is the (summer & winter) Olympics.

events...will watch most anything that time allows but my fav's are hockey, downhill skiing (f-in nuts love it), speed skating, curling, ski jump and bobsled.

comments, countries-(fans of), fav events / competitions, storylines, past Olympics etc...have at it people! G0 USA!

I also enjoy the speed skating, for some reason. I'll also watch things like the bobsled or anything where someone is shooting down ice really fucking fast. And of course, hockey is good.

I also enjoy the speed skating, for some reason. I'll also watch things like the bobsled or anything where someone is shooting down ice really fucking fast. And of course, hockey is good.

indeed..."fuckin fast" stuff ftw.
thats why I enjoy the downhill skiing too. Especially when medals are on the line...its total balls-out by the seat of your pants. Those crazy bastards will snap a leg trying to win gold.

Olympics = /yawn. Used to like watching the Bobsledding when I was a kid but not recently.

what!?!
No, I can understand if you or others don't get into it. Not to sound corny, but I just like the true sense of sportsmanship and competition, rep'n yourself and country, the athletes dedication-minus the $$'s etc...though there is lots of endorsment $$'s to be had.

I stopped giving a shit when company sponsorship and gene-doping took precedence over actual athletic ability/skill.

Not that I don't respect a good chunk of authentic athletes that perform, but I think the political and military overtones the games have taken up since well before the Israeli incident is entirely bullshit.

My main problem though is with the corporate fucknuttery (and thus the transition of athletic ability into profit).

Bobsledding, luge and downhill skiing have always been my favourites to watch. I have a love/hate relationship with the winter olympics though, as my family would insist that I sit and watch figure skating. I was able to appreciate that it requires a remarkable amount of skill, but damnit, Maro and Sonic weren't going to play themselves! :bah:

This is a pretty big deal in Canada obviously so I hope they finally win a gold medal on home soil. Other than that I root for the US and Canadian teams. I generally like all the race type events as well as Hockey.

Hockey is fun as hell to play. I don't really appreciate watching other people have fun when I get to just sit there and watch them... having all that fun... :(

Several players from the Sharks will be playing hockey in the olympics, so I'll be cheering for the countries they're playing for. I like watching the snowboarding and skiing stuff.

I stopped giving a shit when company sponsorship and gene-doping took precedence over actual athletic ability/skill.

Not that I don't respect a good chunk of authentic athletes that perform, but I think the political and military overtones the games have taken up since well before the Israeli incident is entirely bullshit.

My main problem though is with the corporate fucknuttery (and thus the transition of athletic ability into profit).

I'll watch hockey and cross country skiing. Most of it runs in the middle of the night though so the live watching will be sparser than 4 years ago.

I hope the USA doesn't get raped in hockey, but they probably will. Regardless it'll be fun to watch.

Go Canada, I think we got a pretty solid line-up of athletes this year. Especially in Downhill skiing, we've won alot of championships the past few years. So maybe this time we take over the skiing ranks.

I'm gonna watch everything...I booked 2 weeks off just to watch the olympics.

Mathiäs;8885199 said:
I hope the USA doesn't get raped in hockey, but they probably will. Regardless it'll be fun to watch.

hope not either.

I see them being a young (many nhl vets left off roster) competative decent team that hopefully will surprise us? Guess we would probably be thrilled if they medal?
I can't think of USA hockey without this coming to mind...the greatest upset in sports history! This call will always give me the chills...

US did win the World Juniors tournament a couple weeks ago. Russia or Canada will probably win the Gold though.

Yeh, that JR.s tourney was phenominal...a definite positive for US hockey and its future.

Also should have brought up and I do somewhat echo the sentiments that some mentioned earlier in regards to the political, corporate overtones and all the bullshit etc that can over-shadow true sportsmanship. Guess I try to ignore it as much as possible and focus on the positive stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
hope not either.

I see them being a young (many nhl vets left off roster) competative decent team that hopefully will surprise us? Guess we would probably be thrilled if they medal?
I can't think of USA hockey without this coming to mind...the greatest upset in sports history! This call will always give me the chills...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgJc0ZkHcw

Yeh, that JR.s tourney was phenominal...a definite positive for US hockey and its future.

Also should have brought up and I do somewhat echo the sentiments that some mentioned earlier in regards to the political, corporate overtones and all the bullshit etc that can over-shadow true sportsmanship. Guess I try to ignore it as much as possible and focus on the positive stuff.

Great call!Al Michaels is up there on the best sports announcers of all time.

^
Agree. Mother time allowed me to fortunately experience that moment in live-time and also take in his forever ingrained call of that game. The fact that he continued to be and still is a prominent announcer these days...proves your point.