the 5150 processing thread

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
alright guys i've been having a shit ton of trouble processing my 5150 lately, i think that we can post raw 5150 clips, how we processed them, and then how they are in the mix

cool idea.

but I think most people will post something like
lp and hp and maybe some scooping around 500hz

post a clip.

does the amp sound good in the room, otherwise I would say your tubes are dying.
how do they look? orange-red or blue-yellow

Amp Settings are something like:

Red Channel:
Pre 4
Low 6
Mids 3
Highs 6
Reso 7
Presence 7
Post around 2 (or whatever volume you can handle but don't go past 3 or 4)

I just put the 57 on it just off center of the cone at a slight angle. As for post processing all I do is High pass and Low pass I usually dont need any other EQ on the track.

mine atm are
preg - 4.5
bass 7
mid 2
highs 7
post 1.5
pres 4
res5

for my red channel atm

they used to be

mine atm are
preg - 4.5
bass 8
mid 5
highs 5
post 3
pres 2
res 2

which i hated

Not at all. I can tell you that having the presence so low on the 5150 is probably whats really making it so woofy and bassy making you reach for the C4. Crank that presence and resonance the amp really opens up once you do that. Also if you are running the volume below 1.5 its real dark sounding. Try to get the volume to at least 2.

preg 4.5
bass 6
mid 2
highs 6.5
post 2-3
pres 4.5
res 7

i got those settings straight from Eddie's rack :lol:

i set my 808 at:
Gain 0
Tone 4.5
Level 10

Sounds REEEEALLY good in the room, and my Orange cab sounds so good when miced too. Oh, im using passive pickups 490T

My settings are something like:

Pre: 4-5
Bass: 5-7
Mid: 3-5
Treble: 5-7
Resonance: 5-7
Presence: 6-8

I run a TS and NS-2 in front.

I really feel that this amp is not versatile at all. The eq knobs barely seem to effect the tone a whole lot, IMO. After testing out some condensor mics at practice last night, I discovered the "honkiness" that everyone talks about that I didnt really hear when messing around with a SM57. I do enjoy the amp for what it is, but a part of me is screaming to bust the Mark IV out...should have a nice set of new tubes coming soon..... :headbang:

Red Channel:
Pre 4
Low 7
Mids 3
Highs 5
Reso 8
Presence 8-9
Post around 3-4

My 5150 is desperately in need of some new tubes though. Its just not sounding the same anymore at all, and it seems to be really fizzy all of a sudden...:erk:

The 5150 isn't for everyone. But if you love what it does do there is nothing else out there that sounds like it.

+1..

I always felt the 5150 was pretty much the definition of the old cliche:
"A One Trick Pony, But With A Hell Of A Trick"

Last time I recorded a 5150 the settings were something like:
Pre - 5 or 6
Bass - 7.5
Mid - 3
Treb - 8
Post - 3 or 4
Res - 7
Pres - 8

Those are roundabout.. I only did an HP/LP on it aswell.. never bothered eqing it..

-P

I never add processing to my 5150. Sometimes I'll add some eq to make it fit, but that's about it. I'm finding easier and easier to get good tone from it by just using different mic positions.

They do sound great for what they are. They really are the modern metal sound. I have had bands come in with all sorts of gear and we always wind up falling back to the 5150. I had a MeloDeath band come in with a Diezel VH4 and we couldnt get the tone he was hearing in his head from it. I said dude lets re-amp it with the 5150 and boom he was cumming in his pants.

I am not saying the VH4 doesn't rock, cause it does, but its just not "THE SOUND". The 5150 / 6505 is just where its at when it comes to pure metal br00talz! The less you do to it, the better it sounds. Recently for me I have just been coming out of the line out and running it into the Fredman impulses and getting AWESOME results.