Mid: 4
Hgih: 6
Res: 10
Pres: 6.5

Maxon OD808
Overdrive - 9 o'clock
Tone - 10-11 o'clock
Balance 2 o'clock

Holy shit :S The resonance and bass nearly full??? The last time I heard someone try that it was the most unearthly tone I've heard... They must place a mic directly in the middle of the cone for that one :p

When I had the OS in this room I could easily do 9 and 9 on bass and resonance. It all has to do with the space. So if they tracked in a larger room, or a heavily bass-treated room, I can absolutely see how it could work. It's a nice, tight low-end, because it doesn't exacerbate the room modal issues as much.

Inability to crank lows is usually a good sign the tracking room blows.

Hey guys, awesome thread! I've got a little OT: Does anyone of u use any kind of attenuator with your 5150/6505? (and record in your apartment?) :) thx

yea i figured, the only thing is im using a tv as a monitor and for some reason this forum (and only this forum) all the text blur together making it damn hard to read.

haha :)

I have tried to search, but due to the short name, JSX, it is really hard. How similiar is a JSX settings/processings to these? I think the tone on Chimera Resurrection was fantastic!

At least someone got the joke ....lol

Seriously though, WTF are you doing with a 5150 if you cant turn it up to a decent volume? You dont have a basement or a garage you can use so you can turn it up and mic it?

I had a room, but situation has changed and I had to relocate. And as you know, 5150 is fuckin' beast which tries to rip your head off with post gain on 3+.

Gain rarely past 3, always use a tubescreamer, similar settings as people have mentioned. And if you're adding more than 1 or 2 db of eq (other than hp/lp) then the tone probably wasn't good enough to start. A good way to get on the right path is to take your starting tone, EQ it till it sounds closer to what you want, THEN try to beat that by reamping with no processing. The more you do this the less you'll have to reamp as you learn where it needs to be.

I had a room, but situation has changed and I had to relocate. And as you know, 5150 is fuckin' beast which tries to rip your head off with post gain on 3+.
Has anybody tried the 6505+ combo, which is only 60W instead of 120W? Is it significantly quieter and can be cranked more without upsetting all the people from the next village? Yes, it's China-made, but it doesn't get beaten up in our studio like on the road, doesn't it?

CFH has the right idea - sometimes drop the bass a bit from that though.

mine are usually, bass 5-7, mids 0-3 (MAX), treble 4-6 (MAX), resonance 5-10 and presence 6-9

sorry they are pretty rough but it depends on the guitar/band etc that said the settings rarely stray from those.

and i like to eq as little as possible, sometimes use some LA3A style compression or even VW sometimes.

hey rif, hatten hier letztens die combo im test. ich bin eh kein fan von 5150 sounds, aber der war schon ganz ok, grad für den preis.
ich werd mir den demnächst mal schnappen zum reampen, mal gucken.

Of course they act like that, like every other Mag, but if you read between the lines you'll get some impressions.

I wouldnt buy the combo, get an used 6505 and run it thru your Mesa, put blankets around like somebody mentioned.
You'll never get the same sound out of the combo(if you mic the speaker).

I wouldnt buy the combo, get an used 6505 and run it thru your Mesa, put blankets around like somebody mentioned.
You'll never get the same sound out of the combo(if you mic the speaker).
I want to run it through my Mesa cab (or Palmer PDI -> Pro Tools -> cab impulses) so I want to use it like a head. The question is still, if the 6505+ combo sounds similar to a 6505 head and is maybe even more krankable due to the lower wattage.