the 5150 processing thread

My 5150 is desperately in need of some new tubes though. Its just not sounding the same anymore at all, and it seems to be really fizzy all of a sudden...:erk:

Last night at practice, all the sudden I heard the dreaded drop in power. Time to retube. The GT's held up for fucking 4 years or so!!

I have mine similar to CFH13's

Red Channel:
Pre 4
Low 8
Mids 2-3
Highs 5
Reso 8
Presence 8
Post around 3

I use a TS style OD, V30's in a Madison 4x12, and a 57.

I usually hi pass at 80, low pass at 11K. I'll notch out some fizz at around 3K and a few other places. I also have been using the SSl Echannel EQ section for certain tones (think tones like the latest JFAC and BDM).

It doesn't really need any processing with good settings and mic placement.

I think the settings Sneap has posted are a pretty good starting place...

"Lead channel
Pre 11 oclock
Low 1 oclock ish
Mid 9 oclock ish
High 11.30ish
Post 9.30, 10 oclock
Res 2 oclock
Pres 3 o clock

Tube screamer
Drive 9 oclock
Tone 11 oclock
Level 12 o clock"

That should be really close... a little bit of tweaking to suit the guitar/pickups and it should sound great...

mine atm are
preg - 4.5
bass 7
mid 2
highs 7
post 1.5
pres 4
res5

I think this might be your problem man. Mids and post have a really yin/yang thing going on. I mean obviously this is all subjective (but then again EVERYTHING to do with amps is subjective) but generally speaking the more juice you suck out of the power amp the more mids you may need. Similarly, the more juice you pump INTO the power amp the fuller and squishier it gets, which means you can get away with sucking some more mids.

Also, a neat trick with the 5150 is to really roll off the highs and let the presence do the talking. Try the highs on 6 at the most, maybe even 5, and presence on 7~

Here's what I do with my 5150/recto cab:

Maxon OD-820
Gain: 10 oclock
Tone: noon
Level: 1-2 oclock

ISP Decimator
Threshold: -30

5150:
pre: 3
treble: 5
mid: 3
low: 6
res: 10
pres: 6

For post-processing I'll use 80hz-hpass 12k-lpass first, maybe cut some low mids and some fizzyness around 6.3k, boost a little 8k. After that it's c4 andys setting, a transparent compressor to tame some flubby palm mutes, then some kind of saturation plugin like vintage warmer.

+1 to cranking the resonance and presence. Then just compensate by backing off the highs and lows as needed. Makes a big difference.

+1 more on that one

i've had a 6505+ for less than a week now, and have already settled on the presence and resonance around 7-8. too high on the resonance and shit gets flubby, too high on the presence and there's a bit too much sizzle, but they both need to be up pretty high, IMO

5150.png
;)

Holy shit :S The resonance and bass nearly full??? The last time I heard someone try that it was the most unearthly tone I've heard... They must place a mic directly in the middle of the cone for that one :p

So is the picture saying he uses the lead channel for rhythms and the rhythm channel for leads?

could be

i know that last night i was playing around with the green channel, and noticed that it has a much tighter, smoother, tone to it

Holy shit :S The resonance and bass nearly full??? The last time I heard someone try that it was the most unearthly tone I've heard... They must place a mic directly in the middle of the cone for that one :p

If you watch Whitechapel's studio blog when they recorded guitars for the latest album (at Suecof's place) they used a 5150 mk1, settings are as follows:

Lead channel boosted with Maxon OD808
Lead: 6
Low: 10
Mid: 4
Hgih: 5.5
Res: 10
Pres: 8

Going through Mesa OS 4x12s too. Yet it still doesn't sound all that bassy, and they're using mahogany 7 strings in drop A :lol: Just depends on loads of other factors I guess, which is why tone is so goddam subjective!

When you push the post on these amps past 1.5 or 2, you'll find that you need to increase the Resonance & Bass to near max to get that low end thumping and heavy (especially if you use a TS). If you are at say, 1 or 0.5 on the post gain, then you prob won't need any more than 4-6 on the Resonance, and 7-8 on the Bass to get the appropriate Bass response from the amp.