5150 reamping troubles

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

for some reason, i just can't get my reamped 5150 tracks to sit well in a mix, or to actually sound decent without the need for post processing shaping the midrange.

it's either too scooped, or honky as fuck, there doesn't really seem to be a middle ground.
i tend to have the mids around 2-3, which is more in the scooped realm, or around 4-5 to give it some midrange bite. the thing is, the mids seem to be centered in the 800hz-ish region, which sounds honky as fuck if you turn the mids up. it's always lacking in the 2k area, therefore lacking bite.
the tubescreamer with the high-midrange buildup somewhat helps, but the mids still seem to be voiced strangely no matter where i position the mic or how i dial it in.
for example, the engl fireball 100 i just bought records much much better, with very little if any post processing needed.

i'm running a framus 212cs with v30 speakers, maybe that's the issue right there (although the cab sounds fine with the engl, my old framus cobra,...).

i'll do a few clips tomorrow (no reamping on sundays, hehe) and post them here, but in the meantime, maybe the 5150 users on here could give me some rough hints on how you're usually setting up the 5150.

last clip i did (which was the best so far) i used these settings:#
bass 7
mids 3,5
treble 4,5
resonance/presence both 8
midrange wise that one was quite balanced, but still lacked the 2k and didn't cut through well.

i did a second set of reamps with the settings like this
bass/mid/treble all between 6-7
resonance 9, presence 6.
which sounded great in the room btw, but still needed an 800hz honk cut and a 2k bite boost.

any ideas where i'm going wrong.
i'm starting to think that the amp just isn't the right one for me, at least in a studio situation....i've had it for 5 years and it always was my live workhorse, but since i've switched over to engl for band stuff it's kinda obsolete unless i get it to sound slamming in the studio.

any pointers will be greatly appreciated!
and as i said, clips will be up in 1-2 days

Don't forget EVERYTHING in the signal path affects the sound. Try a different mic/position. One thing I did recently was used 2 SM57's, one centered and one at a 45 degree angle. Then I had two tracks to blend so I could get different characteristics. If you have any other mics, try blending them.

Well I´ve never tried to mic my cab with a single mike, I always use fredman, to me it gives a great balance between bite and tone but in the end I always have to scoop even more the tone, may be due to proximity effect.
As I read your post I didn´t find anything wrong, so try experimenting with mike position until you get something really useful.

well, the room's treated for mixing, but i don't have a seperate amp room unfortunately. i could experiment with some self made gobos if you guys think it will be worth the effort.

anyways, the room usually sounds fine with my other amps (i.e. i don't get any strange room influence), so i suppose the framus cab just doesn't go well with the 5150.
any suggestions on a nice 212 cab? i was thinking marshall 1936 or engl

I think the more important thing to ask is, what guitar/wood/pups are you recording with?

This will have a tremendous effect on what comes out of the amp.

also, as a side note, you could try setting the bass to 4, mids to 5 and treble to 6-8 and see how that sounds... I'm digging that right now, but I'm in drop B using a hellraiser... so YMMV.

obviously different guitars for different projects and reamps. last band i recorded i think the guitar player used a schecter hellraiser 7string with SD pickups, but i've had similar results with my own jackson dkmgt (emg81), or even jeff's rose of sharyn DI.

+1

Bass at 8 seems too high. I run mine around 2-4, mids about 6-8 and Treble to taste (just put fresh strings on and had to back Pres and Treble WAYYY down!!)

I usually never run my Gain past 6.

WHOA. Seriously, mids at 6-8 for RECORDING?

Holy hell, highest I'd EVER want to go is 4. YMMV.

alright, here are the reamps. sorry, took me a while.

i used jeff's rose of sharyn DI and backing for this, as many of you are familiar with the way the DIs sound so it's easier to take the guitar/pickup/etc part out of the equation.

i did 2 files, one with the backing track, the other one with just the solo guitars. when the re-intro starts, you'll first hear the 5150 lead channel, then after the squeal it switches to the rhythm channel pair only.
and well, yes, 4 tracks, 2 lead channel 2 rhythm channel. no post processing other than HP 60 LP 12k. tubescreamer was used. single sm57, about an inch from the center of the dustcap and an inch away from the grille. nothing out of the ordinary, also pretty ordinary settings.

tell me what you think! i'm just not digging it for some reason...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/dennis/5150 test mix.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/dennis/5150 test gtrs.mp3

thanks!

Dude there is NOTHING wrong with that tone. It fucking slays!

It is a bit "tubby" in the low end though. The top end and lower mids are pretty nice. Are you using a tube screamer in front of the amp?

Also what kind of speakers in the framus? v30s?

Edit: Ignore the Tube Screamer question ...lol That will teach me to READ before clicking :p

I would say just back off on the low end or resonance just a tad and it would be perfect.

thanks!
yes, v30 speakers. i think resonance and bass are both around 5 (=noon). honestly, it wasn't really bass heavy in the room. the mic was also pulled back from the grille (about an inch) to reduce the proximity effect.

the way i see it as of right now is that the 5150 is fine for blending with another amp when quad tracking stuff, but it's nothing i'd want to use as the only amp in a mix, i just don't like the character that much. but then again, andy/nordström/suecof/richardson and shitloads of other guys have all done albums with just the 5150 and the sound is NOTHING like that. much smoother and more focused than what i'm getting. my 5150 always sounds really raw...

i thought the closer the mic is to the grille, the more bass you get due to the proximity effect?

as for moving it more off-center, well actually i used to do that before, and imho my tones have improved tenfold once i started going nearer towards the dustcap. i always tried to steer clear of the fizz, but to me it seems as if there's a lot of weird shit going on with the lower midrange once you go off center. the fizz however mostly disappears when you put the gtrs in a mix....e.g. i think the guitars on nevermore-tge do have quite some fizz going on, but you absolutely don't notice with the full mix playing, instead it sounds heavy as fuck.
of course, i'm not talking about having it aimed straight at the center of the speaker, hehe.

any other ideas?