The Abortion Thread

Vegans and vegetarians are healthier in general and live longer though

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-expectancy-eggs-dairy-research-a7168036.html

"Strictly eating grass" is probably not good for you though, I'll give you that.
not talking about vegetarians, but like i said most vegans i know are the furthest thing from healthy and look like they're about to drop dead. A lot of them have also resorted back to eating meat for those very reasons. I have this one friend who literally started going nuts and couldn't even think straight and was basically clouded for like 2 years when he "went vegan". He also started looking like he just stepped out of a death camp and would have probably shattered every bone in his body if he tripped and fell. There's also a bunch of youtube videos on vegans who really didnt want to go back to eating meat but were forced to because of health issues they ended up with because of their vegan diets. I cant comment on who lives longer because i dont know many vegans in their 80's or 90's. And actually most of the really older people i know love their red meat. Humans are ideally meant to have well balanced diets so imo i think the key to staying healthy and living long(diet wise) is to eat your meat and veggies.

I don't accept that intersection. In no other example is it part of your individual liberty to kill another living human being who isn't guilty of a crime of some kind. You're giving a woman a totally imbalanced set of rights and you're directly going against what you say when you claim you think treating all living things ethically is important.

An unborn child can't commit a crime. You're appealing to a context that's inapplicable.

One living thing gets to live or die and the other living things gets to make that choice. That's not even close to equal treatment. That's a slave and master relationship applied to a different situation.

It's not even close to a slave/master relationship, and you must know that.

The unborn child doesn't serve the mother, its labor isn't exploited. Please refrain from such absurd analogies.

I wouldn't call it magic, I would say natural rights spring from the idea that the body is sovereign, self-defense being justified springs from that and all other rights grow from there.

You have no proof of that. It's not logically sound. You're just making a choice that rights must derive from your personal embodied experience.

And a year after Emancipation Proclamation isn't a long standing precedent either. What's important is the argument/philosophy/ethics/morals that lead to setting the standard and I personally believe that with the development of science in the area, it becomes harder and harder to hold views like yours and more instinctual to hold views like mine. Or I suppose I should say, hold views like those who support abortions for post-first trimester pregnancies since you don't seem to be expressing any of your views and are just playing Devil's Advocate with me because... reasons?

Sometimes the harder views to hold are the appropriate ones, and the instinctual ones are inappropriate.

I think that post-first trimester abortions are unadvisable. I'm not going to say they should be universally disallowed. How's that?

Most parents who have a ultrasound exam will attest to the instinct I mentioned, even if they can't express it intellectually.

That's called pathos, or empathy, and it's not always a good reason for doing something.

I'm not swayed by the potential of an eventual genius being snuffed out by an abortion either, but you brought up the idea that we are better off aborting unwanted fetuses which is something I have no idea how you could even claim and so I rebutted with an equally hard to demonstrate claim. Example: what if the man or woman who would eventually cure some strand of cancer in 20 years is aborted tomorrow?

If it's the woman's choice, then fine. How could we ever fucking know that? If we could, then she would probably think twice!

Please never breed. :lol:

lol, fitting.

My wife and I have been married six years now. We're waiting for financial security and being able to afford a bigger apartment/house. At that point, we will breed--so I apologize.

I simply place more emphasis on life than death, when you drill down to it. This is why I am also opposed to the death penalty. It's not so much that I think life is important but rather that individuals should be able to decide that for themselves if it is or isn't.

An unborn child isn't an individual. It can't choose because it has no experience of the distinction. I see no significant ethical issue with canceling the social existence of something that hasn't begun to socially exist.

Because it's a half-view. The world is one of pain, sadness and anxiety but it's not just that. It's also a place of happiness, love, satisfaction, discovery, adventure, science, curiosity, lust, contentment and so on. Any worldview so steeped in pessimism isn't one I'm going to take seriously when it comes to killing or not killing the innocent and defenseless.

One could just as easily say that yours is a half-view.

Anti-natalists say that, yes, life contains happiness and joy, but it also contains sadness and pain, and eventual death. Perhaps the most moral thing to do is to not subject others to that experience.

You say that, yes, life contains sadness and pain, but it also contains happiness and joy. Perhaps the most moral thing to do is to allow someone to experience it.

Your view is no more expansive or thoughtful than an anti-natalist's; it just happens to coincide with mainstream, popular moral values.

Not that such a view offends me, I just think it's pathetic and irrelevant.

That's fine. But that's not an argument against it. All you're saying is that it doesn't sit well with you, so to speak.

An unborn child can't commit a crime. You're appealing to a context that's inapplicable.

Exactly, an unborn child is fundamentally innocent. Hence my humanist views I suppose.

It's not even close to a slave/master relationship, and you must know that.

The unborn child doesn't serve the mother, its labor isn't exploited. Please refrain from such absurd analogies.

In terms of power dynamics I'm happy with the analogy, but I'll stop with the absurdity if you do. You've already stated that an unborn child, a viable fetus, is essentially no different to a non-human parasite. Get off your high-horse please, you've said a lot of dumb scientifically illiterate shit so far.

You have no proof of that. It's not logically sound. You're just making a choice that rights must derive from your personal embodied experience.

I didn't say there was proof or that it was logically sound, just that I can give enough of an explanation to swat away your derisive use of words like "magic" to describe my views.

I think that post-first trimester abortions are unadvisable. I'm not going to say they should be universally disallowed. How's that?

I've already stated that I don't believe in a universal ban of abortion at any stage. I added the caveat that if the mother's life is at risk and a choice must be made between saving the fetus and saving the mother, the law should be on the mother's side and allow the abortion. This is a very rare case but it's a caveat I hold that busts any claim that I'm holding some kind of universal stance on abortion.

That's called pathos, or empathy, and it's not always a good reason for doing something.

I agree, but again we're dipping into always vs not always and if it turns out that this empathy is misplaced and the child is unwanted, the child can be given up for adoption. A death can very easily be avoided.

If it's the woman's choice, then fine. How could we ever fucking know that? If we could, then she would probably think twice!

She couldn't know either scenario; that's my point. Your claim that killing an unwanted viable fetus would be a benefit is based on some kind of weird calculation you've not specified. Many useless shitheels are born to wealthy families where they don't suffer and many decent productive people are born to families (or single parents) where you would assume during the pregnancy that the child shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I just don't get how you think you can make a claim like that.

lol, fitting.

My wife and I have been married six years now. We're waiting for financial security and being able to afford a bigger apartment/house. At that point, we will breed--so I apologize.

I don't want to go into the realm of being a massive cunt because I generally like you, but some of the stuff you've said here is just bizarre and so utterly anti-humanist to me. But since it turns out that actually you don't have any kids, I would be interested to see if anything changes about your views when your wife eventually gets pregnant, and the whole process happens etc.

Before I was a father I was very flippant about abortion and my first instinct finding out my GF was pregnant was "abortion" but she staunchly declined that proposition and then the whole process slowly changed my mind. It's something you can't really put into words, except to say that the concept that my son could have ever been conflated with a parasite or an insect, even at the stages where he had fingernails, a heart beat and could live if removed from the womb is mind-boggling to me.

An unborn child isn't an individual. It can't choose because it has no experience of the distinction. I see no significant ethical issue with canceling the social existence of something that hasn't begun to socially exist.

I see no reason why you hinge so much on socialization. The thing about an unborn child is; because it's at the stage of viability, all you have to do is basically remove it from the womb and it would instantly begin socialization, building memories, recognizing faces and so on.

One could just as easily say that yours is a half-view.

Anti-natalists say that, yes, life contains happiness and joy, but it also contains sadness and pain, and eventual death. Perhaps the most moral thing to do is to not subject others to that experience.

You say that, yes, life contains sadness and pain, but it also contains happiness and joy. Perhaps the most moral thing to do is to allow someone to experience it.

Your view is no more expansive or thoughtful than an anti-natalist's; it just happens to coincide with mainstream, popular moral values.

The difference with anti-natalism is that they make a final choice for a living human that cannot be reversed. I don't dictate that life is good or bad, I simply say a living human should be allowed to live and see for themselves, if they agree with the anti-natalist view of the world suicide is always an option. Similar logic to my stance on circumcision in fact.

A parent making that choice for a baby is irreversible, arguments can be made for the positives or negatives of circumcision but ultimately the choice should be made by the individual.

The ethic of predicting misery to justify termination of a life is distorted IMO.

Exactly, an unborn child is fundamentally innocent. Hence my humanist views I suppose.

No—it’s neither innocent nor guilty. Those categories don’t apply.

In terms of power dynamics I'm happy with the analogy, but I'll stop with the absurdity if you do. You've already stated that an unborn child, a viable fetus, is essentially no different to a non-human parasite. Get off your high-horse please, you've said a lot of dumb scientifically illiterate shit so far.

I haven’t said a fetus is “essentially” no different than a parasite. Definitionally speaking, parasites tend to be of different species. If anything, I implied that the reproductive relationship is comparable to a parasitic relationship. This isn’t “scientifically illiterate.” A fetus behaves much like a parasite does; the difference is that rather than infecting a host, a fetus is produced by intra-species sexuality.

Abortion is a perfectly acceptable option given the toll that pregnancy takes on a woman’s body—not to mention potential workplace repercussions.

I didn't say there was proof or that it was logically sound, just that I can give enough of an explanation to swat away your derisive use of words like "magic" to describe my views.

You are pretty magical sometimes dude...

Of rights are an effect of the “sovereign body,” then what do we do about the problem that an unborn child resides within the sovereign body of a woman? Your answer seems to be “because it’s life or death.” You haven’t convinced me that life (the bare essence of survival, of the beating heart) is more meaningful than already-existing livelihood.

I've already stated that I don't believe in a universal ban of abortion at any stage. I added the caveat that if the mother's life is at risk and a choice must be made between saving the fetus and saving the mother, the law should be on the mother's side and allow the abortion. This is a very rare case but it's a caveat I hold that busts any claim that I'm holding some kind of universal stance on abortion.

...then what the hell are we arguing about? If you actually said you don’t believe in a universal ban “at any stage,” then I’m sorry. I’ve been assuming you believe in a ban on post-first trimester abortions.

I agree, but again we're dipping into always vs not always and if it turns out that this empathy is misplaced and the child is unwanted, the child can be given up for adoption. A death can very easily be avoided.

Think of it this way: it’s not only the child that’s unwanted, but the pregnancy. You say that the potential for living, decision-making individual supersedes that preference. I don’t still don’t see why beyond “it should be able to make the choice.” I see that as a misapplication if the right to choose. An unborn child can’t choose, it is neither guilty nor innocent.

Now let’s add another dimension. By the time it’s old enough to choose, it will either undeniably choose “yes,” or it will have suffered so much pain and agony that it will choose “no” and end its life.

This whole premise of being able to choose simply makes no sense to me. And it rejects the woman’s right to choose (again, if we were discussing disallowing abortion—which apparently we’re not).

She couldn't know either scenario; that's my point. Your claim that killing an unwanted viable fetus would be a benefit is based on some kind of weird calculation you've not specified.

I have specified: do you know how many cancer-curing Einsteins there are out there...? I’ll answer: not that many.

Further point: the cancer-curing Einsteins are more likely to come from the families that want their children and don’t feed them into the foster system.

Many useless shitheels are born to wealthy families where they don't suffer and many decent productive people are born to families (or single parents) where you would assume during the pregnancy that the child shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I just don't get how you think you can make a claim like that.

We’re talking about “decent productive people.” I thought we were talking about cancer-curing Einsteins.

I don't want to go into the realm of being a massive cunt because I generally like you, but some of the stuff you've said here is just bizarre and so utterly anti-humanist to me. But since it turns out that actually you don't have any kids, I would be interested to see if anything changes about your views when your wife eventually gets pregnant, and the whole process happens etc.

I know I have anti-humanist views. For what it’s worth, I believe they keep me grounded and attentive to all sides of an issue.

I actually want kids. So does my wife. And I’ll probably love those little shits as much as I do my cat. But when it comes to my work/thinking, the “human” is something I’m unendingly critical of.

I see no reason why you hinge so much on socialization. The thing about an unborn child is; because it's at the stage of viability, all you have to do is basically remove it from the womb and it would instantly begin socialization, building memories, recognizing faces and so on.

It mainly has to do with experience. I value experience, and in this context the woman has social experience, identity, agency, etc. The unborn child doesn’t, or has far less.

The difference with anti-natalism is that they make a final choice for a living human that cannot be reversed. I don't dictate that life is good or bad, I simply say a living human should be allowed to live and see for themselves, if they agree with the anti-natalist view of the world suicide is always an option. Similar logic to my stance on circumcision in fact.

A parent making that choice for a baby is irreversible, arguments can be made for the positives or negatives of circumcision but ultimately the choice should be made by the individual.

The ethic of predicting misery to justify termination of a life is distorted IMO.

You’re also advocating a choice that can’t be reversed, though. You can’t take back a pregnancy, and you can’t take back having been in the world (although you can end your being in the world).

EDIT: apologies for typos and other odd locutions. I’m on my phone.

Last edited:
It mainly has to do with experience. I value experience, and in this context the woman has social experience, identity, agency, etc. The unborn child doesn’t, or has far less.

And you have no experience dealing with pregnancy in an intimate context, nor with ultrasounds and so on. I can't hold your ignorance against you on this subject, but I can't ignore that it's there either.

You’re also advocating a choice that can’t be reversed, though. You can’t take back a pregnancy, and you can’t take back having been in the world (although you can end your being in the world).

Once pregnant you will always be post-pregnancy whether you abort or not. That's not a choice I've offered lol.

Abortion is a perfectly acceptable option given the toll that pregnancy takes on a woman’s body—not to mention potential workplace repercussions.

Acceptable by what standard? Money? lmao that's pretty cheap but if that's how you feel...

You are pretty magical sometimes dude...

I-Love-Magic.gif

Of rights are an effect of the “sovereign body,” then what do we do about the problem that an unborn child resides within the sovereign body of a woman? Your answer seems to be “because it’s life or death.” You haven’t convinced me that life (the bare essence of survival, of the beating heart) is more meaningful than already-existing livelihood.

My answer which I believe I have already given is that, much like a house or a country, the sovereignty of such a body doesn't give one the right to violate the sovereignty of another body because it resides within. A foreign army cannot violate the sovereignty of a nation and that nation cannot violate the sovereignty of a citizen (assuming no law has been broken, but even then such a legal repercussion could be seen as a violation depending on the level of authoritarianism being exercised).

That's basically how I view the situation and it's why I reject the concept that abortion is about a woman's body, because a fetus is not the woman's body, especially at the stage of viability because the fetus can live if removed. This also plays into how I view pregnancy via rape, because the fetus is an intruder since its existence inside the woman was not consented to.

People say that unplanned pregnancies should also be conflated with non-consensual pregnancy ("the condom broke, this wasn't planned") but I view the act of engaging in heterosexual intercourse as knowingly risking pregnancy and is therefore a form of consent because that act comes with that risk and no birth control is 100% guaranteed.

Let me reiterate, I'm fine with first trimester abortions and most people know if they're pregnant within the first trimester.

...then what the hell are we arguing about? If you actually said you don’t believe in a universal ban “at any stage,” then I’m sorry. I’ve been assuming you believe in a ban on post-first trimester abortions.

I have no idea, you started this with me and you're clearly sadistic enough to keep going with it. :p

I'm pretty sure I stated that abortions should be legal at any stage if the mother would die in order to give birth to the infant quite early on in this discussion. I won't blame you because maybe you were distracted by trying to reformulate zabu's comments. :heh:

Think of it this way: it’s not only the child that’s unwanted, but the pregnancy.

Many things are unwanted, whether it be a living human you know ("wish my husband would just die") or some kind of process ("feeding my baby is so annoying") but I don't really see how that should impact certain human rights concepts that we apply to third trimester fetuses and born infants. The whims of a human don't really change my mind on the subject of humanism.

Now let’s add another dimension. By the time it’s old enough to choose, it will either undeniably choose “yes,” or it will have suffered so much pain and agony that it will choose “no” and end its life.

Sure you're probably correct.

This whole premise of being able to choose simply makes no sense to me. And it rejects the woman’s right to choose (again, if we were discussing disallowing abortion—which apparently we’re not).

I think laws should exist to protect viable fetuses specifically. I reject the idea that a woman's choice trumps that fetus' life. Women aren't m a g i c a l either and whether a human lives or dies shouldn't be up to a woman because... reasons. Adoption is a perfectly viable alternative to termination.

I have specified: do you know how many cancer-curing Einsteins there are out there...? I’ll answer: not that many.

Further point: the cancer-curing Einsteins are more likely to come from the families that want their children and don’t feed them into the foster system.

We’re talking about “decent productive people.” I thought we were talking about cancer-curing Einsteins.

I can still make my counter-point with the bare minimum of decent and productive because your alternative is death. Ironic that the anti-capitalist places value on human life based on wanted and unwanted lmao. How market economy of you.

I know I have anti-humanist views. For what it’s worth, I believe they keep me grounded and attentive to all sides of an issue.

I dunno if I would say you're attentive to all sides, you have trouble seeing much of anything from my perspective, or at least that's how it would seem. You seem to have solely bought into a certain view of human value, human rights and any point of view not that of a woman who wants an abortion isn't represented. Maybe I'm missing something...?

Last edited:
The way I see it, unless you've gone through a pregnancy (and none of us have since... 99.9% of us are dudes) we're neither qualified nor have the right to say whether abortion is okay or not, so I just shrug it off and don't care.

Yeah it's a really good ethical compromise. When I had a bunch of chickens my vegan buddy was cool with it, even though he still wouldn't eat the eggs obviously.

I love vegan food. Vegan curries for example are god-tier.
I enjoy some vegan food. But I don't need my "vegan buddies" to be cool with what I eat, if they don't like what I eat they can firmly place themselves outside of my friends circle.

Mind you, the only super vegan one I knew ended up being a super shitty friend, so we don't talk anymore anyways, but you get the point.

@Einherjar86 If you hold anti-humanist views and I hold mostly humanist views, I don't know that we can convince one another or even really meet in the middle, except that we both agree that first trimester abortion is fine and you vaguely agree that while it shouldn't be illegal, second and third trimester abortion is probably inadvisable. This might be an exercise in futility haha.

Also, this seems to be splintering into more and more micro-disagreements and I'm not really intelligent or eloquent enough to keep up with it.

I enjoy some vegan food. But I don't need my "vegan buddies" to be cool with what I eat, if they don't like what I eat they can firmly place themselves outside of my friends circle.

Mind you, the only super vegan one I knew ended up being a super shitty friend, so we don't talk anymore anyways, but you get the point.

Oh my buddy doesn't care, he's not the vegan activist stereotype.

feelsbadman

The way I see it, unless you've gone through a pregnancy (and none of us have since... 99.9% of us are dudes) we're neither qualified nor have the right to say whether abortion is okay or not, so I just shrug it off and don't care.

Yeah, that's how I used to think too. But that's a weird privilege to give a woman and I 100% reject it these days. You don't need to be of a certain gender to be qualified to oppose the killing of a fetus which could live if removed from the womb. I think your position is more lazy than anything else and I get that, I used to be young and indifferent too.

I just see through the muh womenz bullshit wrapper it comes in these days.

It also begs the question: at what point does the privilege card get pulled from the woman, or do you think they should be able to abort an 8 month old fetus? Where's the line?

Yeah, that's how I used to think too. But that's a weird privilege to give a woman and I 100% reject it these days. You don't need to be of a certain gender to be qualified to oppose the killing of a fetus which could live if removed from the womb. I think your position is more lazy than anything else and I get that, I used to be young and indifferent too.

I just see through the muh womenz bullshit wrapper it comes in these days.

It also begs the question: at what point does the privilege card get pulled from the woman, or do you think they should be able to abort an 8 month old fetus? Where's the line?
Yes you do, because you don't have a womb. You've never experienced what its like to literally have an intruder living inside you. You lack the frame of reference for what its like.

I get the feeling if you had, your opinion may be different. Then again it may not. But it might. Thing is, you can't know because you have never had a blob using you as a meat shelter.

If you woke up to a distended gut and some demon inside it, and you were told you had to carry it for four or five more months, how would you feel? Ignoring conte

Then again, I don't believe first and second trimester fetuses are sentient, so meh. I just don't see abortion as that big of a deal. A fetus isn't going to miss what its never experienced.

Yes you do, because you don't have a womb. You've never experienced what its like to literally have an intruder living inside you.

I get the feeling if you had your opinion may be different. Then again it may not. But it might. Thing is, you can't know because you have never had a blob using you as a meat shelter.

Statistically more men support abortion than women and the gap widens depending on how you break down the data, so I don't really accept this narrative that men just don't get it and if they had a womb they might support abortion. The data suggests that having a womb (especially if you get pregnant) increases your chances of opposing abortion, or at least being less favourable towards it.

Makes sense, men tend to be more promiscuous and a pregnancy means being tied down. But anyway that's a meme and I really don't give a shit about it, a human life is a human life.

And again, where do you pull their privilege card and draw the line? Does your view extend to all trimesters?

Also, incorrect use of the word intruder because having consensual sex is akin to inviting the fetus in. They didn't intrude, thus your framing of the situation is not right, at least IMO.

They consented to the act, not the result. Whether they used contraceptive or not, isn't my business nor yours imo.

All I'm saying is that dudes lack a frame of reference to be able to determine what its actually like to have an unwanted invader, so dudes should not have a say in whether its okay to rid oneself of said unwanted intruder. We aren't qualified.

Just as an aside, hypothetically lets say your gut started swelling up, and then you get told you're three or four months pregnant. And then you're told you have to carry it to term. Ignoring context, you're still a dude and you're still yourself, etc etc. Would you carry it to term? Would you not feel that it's no one else's right to tell you you can't evacuate the thing?

Also:
Then again, I don't believe first and second trimester fetuses are sentient, so meh. I just don't see abortion as that big of a deal. A fetus isn't going to miss what its never experienced.

Last edited:
They consented to the act, not the result. Whether they used contraceptive or not, isn't my business nor yours imo.

The act cannot be separated from the result. Whether society allows or disallows the termination of viable fetuses is exactly my business.

Just as an aside, hypothetically lets say your gut started swelling up, and then you get told you're three or four months pregnant. And then you're told you have to carry it to term. Ignoring context, you're still a dude and you're still yourself, etc etc. Would you carry it to term? Would you not feel that it's no one else's right to tell you you can't evacuate the thing?

Dumb analogy. When a woman is late, she takes a pregnancy test and within the first trimester knows if she's pregnant and can abort. Second and third trimester is when massive swelling happens and it's also when the fetus is developed enough to be able to survive outside of the womb, that's where I draw the line.

In your silly scenario I would decide whether to keep or abort within the first 6 weeks and avoid any kind of ethical conundrum involving a viable fetus.

@Einherjar86 If you hold anti-humanist views and I hold mostly humanist views, I don't know that we can convince one another or even really meet in the middle, except that we both agree that first trimester abortion is fine and you vaguely agree that while it shouldn't be illegal, second and third trimester abortion is probably inadvisable. This might be an exercise in futility haha.

Just to be a twat: I disagree with your usage of humanism here. With such a designation, wouldn't that make TechyBarb the biggest humanist on the board? :p

The act cannot be separated from the result. Whether society allows or disallows the termination of viable fetuses is exactly my business.

Dumb analogy. When a woman is late, she takes a pregnancy test and within the first trimester knows if she's pregnant and can abort. Second and third trimester is when massive swelling happens and it's also when the fetus is developed enough to be able to survive outside of the womb, that's where I draw the line.

In your silly scenario I would decide whether to keep or abort within the first 6 weeks and avoid any kind of ethical conundrum involving a viable fetus.
We will never change each others mind so I'll just say I reject this all completely, exit the thread, and leave it at that.