The Alive 2 review thread!

spacebeer

Thrash Bastard
Apr 2, 2005
www.enforcer-metal.com
I only could find two pro reviews sofar...

review from MSN Music!

The first thing that hits you about Alive 2 is how terrific it sounds. Opening with "Among the Living," Charlie Benante's drums and the sludgy, churning guitars of Scott Ian and Dan Spitz peel out of the speakers at 4,000 decibels. It's like they're trying to make up for a decade lost. And maybe they are. Alive 2 chronicles a June 3, 2005 show at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ, and features Anthrax's classic lineup reunited for its 20th anniversary. Along with Spitz, Ian, and Benante, that includes Frank Bello on bass and vocalist Joey Belladonna. After "Among the Living" the quintet rumbles through incredibly tight versions of "Caught in a Mosh" and the double-bass-heavy "A.I.R." Anthrax goes all the way back to 1984's Fistful of Metal -- pre-Belladonna -- for "Deathrider," and the dude-heavy crowd greets Persistence of Time's "In My World" with chants of "Joey! Joey! Joey!" The set closes with "Be All End All" and the Judge Dredd tribute "I Am the Law." Fans will note that despite being a solid live album from start to finish -- it a better recording than 2004's Music of Mass Destruction, and the Belladonna-era lineup seems to be getting a thrill out of playing again -- Alive 2 only includes half of a commemorative Dredd drawing. The other half's in the Alive 2 DVD, which expands the song lineup to 13 songs and includes behind-the-scenes footage. ~ Johnny Loftus, All Music Guide

Review from Zwire daily news:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1282&dept_id=553365&newsid=15265326&PAG=461&rfi=9

# Anthrax
# "Alive 2: The Music"
# Sanctuary
# **** out of five

o Anthrax
o "Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-19991)"
o Island
o **** out of five
+

If you grew up with metal in the 1980s - and not the stuff MTV played during the day, such as Ratt and Poison and Cinderella - chances are you were an Anthrax fan.

How could you not be? Their music was fast, catchy and different, and it didn't hurt they were funny dudes. That's obvious from hearing "Anthrology," a two-disc, 30-cut collection that includes every essential song the band recorded from 1985 to 1991. Nothing is missing.

Add to that, the songs have been remastered. The old CDs don't have great sonic quality, but these redone tracks absolutely boom from the speakers. This is how these songs should sound.

The "Alive 2" disc actually is a bigger treat. The collection captures the band live from a June show at Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, N.J., and the New York City quintet sounds massive. I like John Bush, but Belladonna belongs as Anthrax's singer, and this collection proves it.

A DVD of the show also is on the market and contains a few more songs.
Anthrax is back, and maybe the band can attain its rightful place as a leader of metal as we know it. (Brian Krasman)

strik9 said:
I agree that Alive 2 is better than MOMD. The No Hit Wonders dvd is fucking AWESOME as well!:devil:
I'm not agree with you, MOMD cover 20 years of the career of the band, Alive cover just 8 years, MOMD include a better singer, the sound is equal on both and the cover art is beautiful on MOMD and is ok on alive!! It's just my opinion.

I do agree the cover on MOMD kicks ass but overall Alive 2 is better, especially the performance! Agree or don't but this is what ANTHRAX is to most!

That being said I do think MOMD is the best Bush era release...

I do agree alive 2 is a great live record, way better than the shitty live the island years (this album is very mediocre). Joey and Dan are great and sound good on alive2. Charlie, Scott and Frank are, as always, awesome. But MOMD is far superior.

Great record but I prefer MOMD. I don't like overdubs of anytype. Yeah Iknow most "live" records are overdubbed but I still don't like it..
My favorite part of the disk is the reunion footage.

Great performance and sound, but what's up with the camera work? The cameras are out of focus and crooked for far too much time. Also, the camera transitions don't really flow with the songs. I'd have gone with a different camera crew.

Matt Bello said:
I'm not agree with you, MOMD cover 20 years of the career of the band, Alive cover just 8 years, MOMD include a better singer, the sound is equal on both and the cover art is beautiful on MOMD and is ok on alive!! It's just my opinion.

To each their own man. Imo those 8 years are the best years out of all 20! Like I've said before, I'd much rather hear Time or Be All, End All over Only or Safe Home, for example. Just my opinion. I do wish they left A.I.R., etc. on the Alive 2 cd/dvd warts and all, the way it was played that night. A.I.R. would sound cool 3 piece anyways! :headbang:

strik9 said:
To each their own man. Imo those 8 years are the best years out of all 20! Like I've said before, I'd much rather hear Time or Be All, End All over Only or Safe Home, for example. Just my opinion. I do wish they left A.I.R., etc. on the Alive 2 cd/dvd warts and all, the way it was played that night. A.I.R. would sound cool 3 piece anyways! :headbang:
Be all, end all is on MOMD, like other Joey-era songs!

jdelpi said:
Great performance and sound, but what's up with the camera work? The cameras are out of focus and crooked for far too much time. Also, the camera transitions don't really flow with the songs. I'd have gone with a different camera crew.

Bummer! Is the sound quality just as well on the dvd as the cd? If you're a poor bastard like me, buying these one at a time, would this be your first choice?