The Animation Appreciation Thread

Some of these animes are ridiculously overpriced on blu ray. I'm looking at Ultimate Hellsing and for some reason they have a 10 episode season stretched out across 3 releases, with each being around $30-40. wtf

edit:
Ultimate seems to be favored more by most viewers. I really wanna check this one out but i'm being a total jew.

Not sure if you're aware but the Hellsing Ultimate episodes are around 40-60 minutes long, and they were also in production for a very long time (the 10 episodes were originally released over almost a decade), and it shows. You'd be getting your money's worth with those blurays. I personally think the series is amazing. It's immaculately animated pulp garbage basically but also atmospheric and absorbing in ways I didn't expect. Can't really explain without going into spoilers, nor can I really compare it to anything. I think you'd like it?

Fuuuccck those last two episodes were so good. I AM SATISFIED!

Not sure if you're aware but the Hellsing Ultimate episodes are around 40-60 minutes long, and they were also in production for a very long time (the 10 episodes were originally released over almost a decade), and it shows. You'd be getting your money's worth with those blurays. I personally think the series is amazing. It's immaculately animated pulp garbage basically but also atmospheric and absorbing in ways I didn't expect. Can't really explain without going into spoilers, nor can I really compare it to anything. I think you'd like it?

yeah but i cant get myself to pay around $100 for one season. Just a ripoff imo regardless of how i look at it. Definitely sounds interesting ... ill probably just watch it on youtube and maybe buy it later when its re-released at a more reasonable price.

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but Berserk is one of my favorite anime. It’s a dark medieval fantasy about a mercenary named Guts. It’s 25 episodes, but they’ve added more at this point (I need to see them). It’s an old school anime and really just a classic.

Also, another old school Shōnen classic is Fist of the North Star. This is compared to DBZ a lot, but I suppose if DBZ didn’t have all those fillers and was marketed to a more adult audience. I wished they remade this already, just so I could see the fighting scenes in all its well deserved glory.

Rurouni Kenshin also deserves some love too. The OVA’s are freaking amazing. The series can be a little slapstick, but it does get serious. If that’s not your thing (a little corny anime fun mixed in with some epic battles) definitely check out the OVA’s they are super dark, beautiful animation, and are just really well done.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the anime series adapted by the manga. The other one just titled Fullmetal Alchemist, the author didn’t finish writing the manga yet so the writers of the show came up with a different ending. Brotherhood is my favorite, though, and it’s such a great story. I also think Brotherhood is a bit “darker” in mood and feels like a more cohesive/complete story.

If you like detective/Sherlock Holmes/who-did-it Case Closed is an awesome anime with many many many episodes of this prodigy detective who was transformed into a child while investigating a secret organization. He solves cases by impersonating his friend’s father and other characters. It’s an on-going series and one you can watch out of order a bit as each episode it’s a different case unless it continues from a previous episode.

Edit: I just recently rewatched Howl’s Moving Castle and man it’s definitely one of my favorite anime movies, albeit movies of all time. Beautiful animation and really creative story. Miyazaki doesn’t disappoint.

Also, another old school Shōnen classic is Fist of the North Star. This is compared to DBZ a lot, but I suppose if DBZ didn’t have all those fillers and was marketed to a more adult audience. I wished they remade this already, just so I could see the fighting scenes in all its well deserved glory.

I miss ultra-violence like this these days. The reboot series was pretty cool too actually.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
I miss ultra-violence like this these days. The reboot series was pretty cool too actually.

I just looked it up and I see there’s a recent three episode OVA (I assume that’s what you’re referring to)! Hell yeah, I’ll have to watch this sometime. I like how a lot of anime tries to be.... like “mature” and “psychological” these days, but yes the straight up violent and cool fighting styles always have a place for me. I know most people probably hate Naruto because it -did- get fucking played out by otakus but Naruto rules lol. It’s the perfect Netflix show to watch when you’re just looking for something quick, easy, and cool.

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet but Berserk is one of my favorite anime. It’s a dark medieval fantasy about a mercenary named Guts. It’s 25 episodes, but they’ve added more at this point (I need to see them). It’s an old school anime and really just a classic.

Rurouni Kenshin also deserves some love too. The OVA’s are freaking amazing. The series can be a little slapstick, but it does get serious. If that’s not your thing (a little corny anime fun mixed in with some epic battles) definitely check out the OVA’s they are super dark, beautiful animation, and are just really well done.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the anime series adapted by the manga. The other one just titled Fullmetal Alchemist, the author didn’t finish writing the manga yet so the writers of the show came up with a different ending. Brotherhood is my favorite, though, and it’s such a great story. I also think Brotherhood is a bit “darker” in mood and feels like a more cohesive/complete story.

If you like detective/Sherlock Holmes/who-did-it Case Closed is an awesome anime with many many many episodes of this prodigy detective who was transformed into a child while investigating a secret organization. He solves cases by impersonating his friend’s father and other characters. It’s an on-going series and one you can watch out of order a bit as each episode it’s a different case unless it continues from a previous episode.

Edit: I just recently rewatched Howl’s Moving Castle and man it’s definitely one of my favorite anime movies, albeit movies of all time. Beautiful animation and really creative story. Miyazaki doesn’t disappoint.

Berserk is amazing, unfortunately the 2016 anime has really terrible CG animation.

Since you like Fist of the North Star, have you seen JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? Later seasons of it get... weird, but the first season is very FotNS, but with all the gore they couldn't show in the FotNS anime, and all the amazing animation they couldn't afford.

I just looked it up and I see there’s a recent three episode OVA (I assume that’s what you’re referring to)! Hell yeah, I’ll have to watch this sometime. I like how a lot of anime tries to be.... like “mature” and “psychological” these days, but yes the straight up violent and cool fighting styles always have a place for me. I know most people probably hate Naruto because it -did- get fucking played out by otakus but Naruto rules lol. It’s the perfect Netflix show to watch when you’re just looking for something quick, easy, and cool.

I agree with you, Naruto is great. It has some serious problems especially in Shippuden but the world-building is so fucking cool, anytime a character uses some weird technique that turns their eyes into octagons or whatever it actually means something because you know the octagonal eye technique is historically significant because it was invented by a legendary ninja 1000 years ago who will turn out to be the ancestor of a main character and is somehow still orchestrating current events from beyond the grave.

Berserk is by far the best medieval fantasy anime ive ever seen. It is a damn shame that the original series got canned, cause the newer remakes and sequels lost all of the grit and dark nature of the show. I hear the manga is great though.

The TV series is just too damn corny to recommend imo. The OVAs on the other hand work as a standalone series and is most likely my favorite anime.

Ive been watching Naruto on and off since the pre-Shippuuden days, and it is still one of my guilty pleasures. I really like the magic system and like Vegard said, the world-building is fantastic. As for another shounen with a good magic system, Hunter x Hunter is probably the best.

As for Hellsing Ultimate, for some reason I don't care for it despite on paper being something I should love. It's just so damn pretentious and try hard, but the animation is amazing.

Some other anime I enjoy that may or may not have been mentioned: Code Geass, Gintama, Gundam (Zeta is best, but I like almost all of them), Macross, Initial D, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

The TV series is just too damn corny to recommend imo. The OVAs on the other hand work as a standalone series and is most likely my favorite anime.
ahh that's good to know. I found someone who was selling the the complete DVD set of the tv series for $15 and was about to pull the trigger.

@Funerary_Doom yeah i've had my eyes on Fist of the North Star for a while now. Looks pretty cool. And yeah Berzerk look awesome too and is the one mentioned the most on other forums/sites when looking for top tier dark anime.

So far im really interested in Berzerk, Hellsing Ultimate, Monster and Death Parade. I ended up ordering Death Frenzy and Basilisk so those are probably gonna be next up for me.

Oh and i definitely need to add the Street Fighter and Fatal Fury animated movies to my collection too...

Berserk is amazing, unfortunately the 2016 anime has really terrible CG animation.

Since you like Fist of the North Star, have you seen JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? Later seasons of it get... weird, but the first season is very FotNS, but with all the gore they couldn't show in the FotNS anime, and all the amazing animation they couldn't afford.

Yeah the original is the best. It sucks they never finished it. I think the manga is still going, actually. I haven’t heard of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll definitely check it out. Been meaning to find anime similar to FotNS.
I agree with you, Naruto is great. It has some serious problems especially in Shippuden but the world-building is so fucking cool, anytime a character uses some weird technique that turns their eyes into octagons or whatever it actually means something because you know the octagonal eye technique is historically significant because it was invented by a legendary ninja 1000 years ago who will turn out to be the ancestor of a main character and is somehow still orchestrating current events from beyond the grave.

Lmao. Right! That explains Naruto to the fucking tea, but somehow it’s still quite entertaining. There’s a lot of “hidden ninja magic” that was lost but one character still does it and then there’s an entire story about that specific tribe who were wiped out and now has one lone survivor. You never feel lost with all the characters too as they explain everything to you. It does have its flaws but it’s still enjoyable and a good starter anime in general.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Berserk is by far the best medieval fantasy anime ive ever seen. It is a damn shame that the original series got canned, cause the newer remakes and sequels lost all of the grit and dark nature of the show. I hear the manga is great though.

I agree with Berserk. I think the manga is still going, and really Satan bless that man he must be so old now. The original series ended at a really weird place and I agree I wished they finished it. Yeah, the Rurouni Kenshin series is definitely not for everyone. Especially if you aren’t into like sorta silly slapstick stuff. With the Shishio saga though there were some cool battle scenes and episodes but that takes awhile and you generally just need to be into the show to get up to that point. The OVA’s are definitely incredible. Very different from the series and a must see.

Ive been watching Naruto on and off since the pre-Shippuuden days, and it is still one of my guilty pleasures. I really like the magic system and like Vegard said, the world-building is fantastic. As for another shounen with a good magic system, Hunter x Hunter is probably the best.

As for Hellsing Ultimate, for some reason I don't care for it despite on paper being something I should love. It's just so damn pretentious and try hard, but the animation is amazing.

Some other anime I enjoy that may or may not have been mentioned: Code Geass, Gintama, Gundam (Zeta is best, but I like almost all of them), Macross, Initial D, and Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I haven’t heard of Hunter x Hunter before, so I’ll definitely check that out. I use to really enjoy Hellsing but I really can’t remember too much about it. I just remember the main character, Alucard and cool animation. It’s due for a revisit. Gundam Wing was my favorite Gundam series. I’ll have to check out the rest on your list.

@TechnicalBarbarity ahh shit yes, Monster is another awesome one too. I’ve seen the street fighter movies and he’ll even the live action mortal kombat ones and they are just so nostalgic. Even though the mortal kombat movies were just generally bad.

Shit Patlabor... when I was younger I tried watching that movie several times and couldn’t get into it. Maybe now that I’m older I’d understand what the heck it was about lol. It’s supposed to be a classic

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Re-watching Death Note in Japanese with English subtitles. I’m much more of a visual/textual learner than an audio learner so it’s making a lot more sense this time around.

*spoiler alert*

I still think the whole “Light forgetting everything” segment in the middle of the anime is poorly done and a bit silly, but it also shows how he was able to outsmart L. L is clearly more intelligent than Light but Light had the upper hand from the get-go. L didn’t know exactly how “Kira” was killing people and Light did. L lost due to ignorance during the investigation.

I watched the first two episodes. I figured that it might (like so many shows) have just started poorly but yeah. It doesn't seem that great. I never really liked The Simpsons but I enjoy most of Futurama, which I guess this is closer to, so I doubt it's just that I don't really like Groening's stuff.

About to watch this for the 10th or something time