The Animation Appreciation Thread

just went through imdb and those all look cool, especially Monster. I definitely need to check that one out. I wonder if any of these are on blu ray.

What about Bleach? Oh and i also remember watching and enjoying a few episodes of Full Metal Alchemist back when it was on Adult Swim

Bleach is baaaad and also definitely not what you're looking for if you want dark/serious anime. FMA is great though, it's a shounen like Bleach but deals with some very grave subject matters and gets dark as fuck in places (as you would expect from a series that starts with two young boys trying to resurrect their dead mother through alchemy.)

What a shitty day.

Sick, no sleep, horrible headache. I've spent the last few hours moping, watching Daria. About to put on Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust which incidentally, even though on its surface it's an action fantasy anime much like Ninja Scroll was, it actually provides some of the best, most rich, appropriately gothic/romantic visuals of anything in the vampire subgenre.

37181737_234698517146002_4750735215268200448_o.jpg

And on top of that, it's set in some kind of dystopian future with cyberpunk elements. It's pretty unique without really reinventing the wheel.

I wish Jin-Roh had more acclaim though. It's one of the best works of alternate history/science fiction I've seen and the fact that it isn't talked about more is disappointing, to say the least.

Did you see that a South Korean live-action adaptation is out this year?

Last edited:
Did you see that a South Korean live-action adaptation is out this year?
I haven't. Frankly, I'm kind of wondering whether or not I'd even be interested in seeing it. It's certainly more applicable to live-action than the likes of shows like Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan but I haven't exactly been rushing to give it a watch.

Understandable. Going by the trailer though, they nailed the wolf brigade outfits and that alone has me willing to give it a chance. You see a brief glimpse of the sewer massacre in the trailer, with the glowing red eyes in the darkness etc.

Seems quite true to the source material. I posted the trailer in the Official Movie Thread btw.

Bleach is baaaad and also definitely not what you're looking for if you want dark/serious anime. FMA is great though, it's a shounen like Bleach but deals with some very grave subject matters and gets dark as fuck in places (as you would expect from a series that starts with two young boys trying to resurrect their dead mother through alchemy.)
Thanks. Will definitely stay away from Bleach. The FMA set is kind of expensive but i'll definitely pick it up somewhere down the line. I added Basilisk and Shigurui: Death Frenzy to my amazon cart a few days ago and will probably end up checking those out.

I'm about halfway through Death Note and i think it's cool and all ... but is this really one of the best animes? If so i am kind of disappointed.

Reactions: CiG
Nice one, Devilman fucking rules!

@TechnicalBarbarity I personally don't think Death Note is one of the best, but I might agree that of the super-popular anime series it's probably the most adult and most interestingly written. But once you take it out of the realm of the Bleaches and Narutos, it starts to pale by comparison to many other things.

Thanks. Will definitely stay away from Bleach. The FMA set is kind of expensive but i'll definitely pick it up somewhere down the line. I added Basilisk and Shigurui: Death Frenzy to my amazon cart a few days ago and will probably end up checking those out.

Good choices, Basilisk is the shit. Shigurui is great too, but slower paced and darker. Pick up Samurai X if you havent already as it is similar and better than both imo.

I'm about halfway through Death Note and i think it's cool and all ... but is this really one of the best animes? If so i am kind of disappointed.

Nah, it's just popular. Starts off good, but fizzles out after a bit.

Anybody else familiar with or a fan of the Devilman OVA series?

Discotek%2B-%2BDevilman.jpg

Getting a blu ray release at the end of the month. Have these on vhs so looking forward to the upgrade. Best part is it includes the manga english dub which is hilarious.

Yea, Devilman is a classic. The BD is definitely a worthy upgrade, looks fantastic.

When I first began using internet forums, there were basically six classes of forum members that I had identified according to the content of their avatars and signatures: Miyazaki films, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Azumanga Daioh, or Hellsing Ultimate. Those with Hellsing Ultimate imagery tended towards narcissism and radical centrism. I've never watched the show as a result.

Some of these animes are ridiculously overpriced on blu ray. I'm looking at Ultimate Hellsing and for some reason they have a 10 episode season stretched out across 3 releases, with each being around $30-40. wtf

edit:
I haven't seen Ultimate but I have seen the 2001-2002 series and thought it was okay.
Ultimate seems to be favored more by most viewers. I really wanna check this one out but i'm being a total jew.

Last edited: