The Animation Appreciation Thread

why make a remake of the specific animated film that most american people think of when you say "japanese animated film"

this is like someone re-making The Wizard Of Oz

I assume it will be loyal to the manga, which the movie wasn't. I'm hoping it's a series because the events of the manga can't (and shouldn't) be squeezed into the length of a movie.

I assume it will be loyal to the manga, which the movie wasn't. I'm hoping it's a series because the events of the manga can't (and shouldn't) be squeezed into the length of a movie.
yeah i get it
"loyal to the source material" sounds awesome

except
it's a re-make of a movie that is beloved by a shit-ton of people who have never opened a manga
so
for a lot of people, re-making Akira will feel like re-making The Wizard Of Oz
which has been done by people who hated the re-make

Apparently some retard on 2chan just committed a terrorist arson on KyoAni's main studio, killing at least several people.

26 confirmed dead according to BBC as of less than an hour ago.

Who is the suspect?

41 years old.

Latest reports say the man is not a former employee and does not have any obvious connection to the studio.

Japanese newspaper reports said the suspect ran away from the building towards a nearby station after the fire started but fell to the ground.

Some of the reports said he was pursued by employees of Kyoto Animation.

"A person with singed hair was lying down and there were bloody footprints," a 59-year-old woman living nearby told news agency Kyodo.

"He seemed to be in pain, irritated and suffering, but also angry as if he was resentful," a neighbour said.

The suspect was injured and was being treated in hospital, so police could not immediately question him, broadcaster NHK said.

NHK said the man had been heard saying "drop dead" as he set fire to the building

Latest update on KyoAni arson (as of 1 hour ago): 33 dead after man sets fire to Kyoto anime studio.

A man screaming "You die!" burst into an animation studio in Kyoto, doused it with a flammable liquid and set it on fire Thursday, killing 33 people in an attack that shocked the country and brought an outpouring of grief from anime fans.

The suspect, identified only a 41-year-old man who did not work for the studio, was injured and taken to a hospital. Police gave no details on the motive, but a witness told Japanese TV that the attacker angrily complained that something of his had been stolen, possibly by the company.

"He sounded like he had a grudge against the society, and he was talking angrily to the policemen, too, though he was struggling with pain," she told Kyodo News. "He also sounded he had a grudge against Kyoto Animation."

Survivors said he was screaming "You die!" as he dumped the liquid, according to Japanese media. They said some of the survivors got splashed with the liquid.

Apparently he's a schizo that submitted a story to contest where the winning stories would be awarded and potentially adapted. He thought that KyoAni stole one of his stories for use in some show they made without crediting him.