The Animation Appreciation Thread

at this point
i wanna mention the 90's X-Men Cartoon
not just merely because of the super-awesome theme music
but because it was actually an awesome cartoon

the first episode actually sets up who these characters are in a way that actually makes sense for someone who knows absolutely nothing about superheroes at all whatsoever
and after that
every episode is based on the idea that you've seen one (or several) of the previous episodes
ground-braking for animation at the time
before that, any animated series had "status quo is god" with every fucking episode a completely-self-contained story
Morph died in the very first fucking episode, showing that "hero characters can die" which was also a brand-new thing for Animation
the stories in the show were mostly taken from Chris Claremont's run which was a purpousful decion on the part of the show-runners because they knew about superhero comic readers referring to Claremont as the "best writer in superhero comics" and that the people who said this were always reffering specifically to Claremont's run on the X-Men title, the X-men cartoon made their episodes from the best run of the comics instead of trying to make cartoon episodes out of lamely-written X-men comic issues
and they made the cartoon entertaining to people who had actually read Claremont's run 1975-91 as opposed to making the show for first-grade-kids (my mom actually really really loved the 90's X-men cartoon and she was born in 1953)
and even though the show was made in a way that was entertaining to specific the people who were already reading X-Men comics a whole decade before the first episode premiered, they also managed to do the first episode in a way that made the series entertaining to the specific adults who knew absolutely nothing about the X-Men before seeing the cartoon
the voice acting was perfect

the reason they used Claremont's run for the story ideas for the episodes of the 90's X-Men cartoon, is because they really kinda had to, the non-Claremont-parts of the X-Men comic really just wouldn't have worked very well

a huge part of why everyone thinks Claremont's run on the X-men was so awesomely written is because every one other than Claremont sucks at writing X-Men comics, as proof of how horrible the not-Claremont X-Men writers actually were i present to you the following "interview with Cyclops" where Scott Summers actually accurately describing the fucked-up parts of the X-Men comic that were written by people other than Claremont
https://doctordisaster.tumblr.com/post/12328429710/cyclops-the-worst-leader-an-interview

I recently started watching Invincible after needing a western animation fix. There's really not much out there that isn't Japanese anymore, and even that is being destroyed by shitty digital animation elements imo.

Invincible has ruled hard so far though, I'm 4 episodes deep. That first episode was one of the greatest misdirections I've ever experienced (if you know you know). The animation itself can be a bit mid at times (the more fillery moments) but the action scenes are amazingly done and super stylish, almost reaching One Punch Man levels of apeshittery at times.

I also really like how it's doing a Watchmen/The Boys thing by making fun of superheroes but simultaneously taking them deadly seriously. It nicely juxtaposes the very colourful and flashy animation style with a story more grounded in reality, geopolitics etc. Can't recommend it enough, especially if you're sick of Sam Liu's endless supply of increasingly, relentlessly pedestrian adaptions of comics.

(I need to check out Venture Bros, heard lots of good stuff.)

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
To me the difference between The Boys and Invincible is the former feels like it's deconstructing the genre from a place of hate and the latter feels like it's doing it from a place of love. I definitely prefer Invincible.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah I agree with that. The Boys is definitely very cynical.
It is told from the perspective of regular humans who are the victims of supes so it makes sense.

Edit: Finished s1 of Invincible and man, what a great ending. Intense as hell. Can't wait for s2 to drop.

I also watched volume 1 of Genndy Tartakovsky's Star Wars: Clone Wars series. Like 25 eps that are 2-3 mins long, but Disney+ compiled it all together into one long episode just over an hour long. Fucking incredible. If only Tartakovsky had done all the animated SW shows instead of that crappy computer-animated style they went with.

Loved the way it depicted Anakin too, this fight was fantastic:

Last edited:
Scavengers_Reign_TV_Series-223084551-large.jpg
Last night I watched the first episode of this brand new series Scavengers Reign. I was very half-asleep so I'm going to rewatch it, but what I saw and remember through my grogginess was cool.

Scavengers_Reign.0.jpg
scavengers_reign_bg5b.jpg
Premise is 3 separate plots following different people from the crew of a crashed space ship on an alien planet with weird creatures and fauna. Not much plot yet but the visuals are amazing and it all feels very mysterious. @Einherjar86 this made me think of you man.

Trailer:

Reactions: Einherjar86
View attachment 34422
Last night I watched the first episode of this brand new series Scavengers Reign. I was very half-asleep so I'm going to rewatch it, but what I saw and remember through my grogginess was cool.

View attachment 34423
View attachment 34424
Premise is 3 separate plots following different people from the crew of a crashed space ship on an alien planet with weird creatures and fauna. Not much plot yet but the visuals are amazing and it all feels very mysterious. @Einherjar86 this made me think of you man.

Trailer:

I just saw the ad for this show yesterday. Looks really cool.

Reactions: CiG
Been watching TMNT 2012 with a buddy, and I love that they have a 1960s Star Trek TAS knockoff as their "show within the show" the turtles watch.

I'd legitimately watch a Space Heroes series lmfao.

Watching through the original Dragon Ball. Never got around to watching it all the way through back in the day but I forgot how fun it is.

Binge watching through Paranoia Agent. Absolutely loved the first five episodes...now on 10 and there's been a noticeable decline in quality.