THE "B-WORD"

My turn - anything with simply band name or album name on the CD matrix = boot. Pressing plants have identifying numeric codes so someone can identify where something was pressed if need be.

Bands that self reissue their albums while the album is actually owned by someone else. Gray area or not, the "B word" is still attached to it.
Maybe the conversation hasn't gotten this in-depth yet.

Bands that self reissue their albums while the album is actually owned by someone else. Gray area or not, the "B word" is still attached to it.
Maybe the conversation hasn't gotten this in-depth yet.

I wonder if that's what Leatherwolf did a few years back when they reissued their three albums. At least they sounded good and weren't CD-Rs.

Yes, they took the bull by the horns so to speak.

many others should do the same.
I just hate when they do and pump out CDrs and not tell you what it is. Why should I buy a CDr of the Banshee EP when I already have a CDr of it? Same reason I have not ever gotten the second Coven album from Jinx Dawson, never been clear if it is a real CD or a CDr, besides she sells them for way to much anyway.
Of course a lot of band don't know the difference between duplication and replication.

It's not a gray area at all. That is definitely a bootleg too.

Yes I know

You are correct that the band doesn't benefit when I buy a used CD, but equating that to buying/selling bootlegs is a huge freaking stretch.

But feel free to continue this over in the boot thread. I don't want to derail this one.

I was not equating the two so much as trying to point out that if the argument is that the bands see nothing from it and people are bothered by that fact then maybe they should buy their CDs new. When you are buying used CDs the only person seeing that money is old Ed. Meanwhile that $1, whatever on that new CD you could have purchased is not coming to them. So they are getting shorted everywhere I suppose.

I'll start with an easy one. Anything with the "CD Maximum" logo or a bunch of Russian writing - bootleg.

That's false. There's an abyss between CD Maximum and bootlegs. Russian editions in 90% of cases are simply licensed cds, same can be said for South American editions (Icarus lately has become very easy to find on some big dealers sites).
On russian releases you just can see a write on the back cover "not to be sold outside Russia and CIS states", but the quality is as good as a "normal" press. Why should I waste money (lots of money) on used rare copies of Skyclad, Carbonized or Pan.Thy.Monium when I can find them new for a fair price?
However, I buy this kind of releases only in case of OOP or rare cds.

The funniest part about such discussions like this is how much speculating there is. I have heard so much from just buyers, collectors, and even other labels point the figure at other labels that it all just runs together after a while.

That's false. There's an abyss between CD Maximum and bootlegs. Russian editions in 90% of cases are simply licensed cds, same can be said for South American editions (Icarus lately has become very easy to find on some big dealers sites).
On russian releases you just can see a write on the back cover "not to be sold outside Russia and CIS states", but the quality is as good as a "normal" press. Why should I waste money (lots of money) on used rare copies of Skyclad, Carbonized or Pan.Thy.Monium when I can find them new for a fair price?
However, I buy this kind of releases only in case of OOP or rare cds.

Ask the bands if those are "licensed" CDs and you may get a different perspective, at least from what I've heard.

I was not equating the two so much as trying to point out that if the argument is that the bands see nothing from it and people are bothered by that fact then maybe they should buy their CDs new. When you are buying used CDs the only person seeing that money is old Ed. Meanwhile that $1, whatever on that new CD you could have purchased is not coming to them. So they are getting shorted everywhere I suppose.

Hey Garth Brooks, this angle was proven invalid back in the 90's.

People are arguing that no money is going to an artist when a bootleg is sold. Money, however, does go to the artist when a new CD is sold. It was determined that when a person buys a new CD it becomes their property and they can do with it what they like (within the confines of the law). So if they want to throw it away or sell it off they can do so to a used reseller. It's an exchange of property or physical goods solely. I don't remember all the legality, but they were saying that an artists royalties cannot be collected for a secondary sale. it's all fuzzy now, but that is basic outcome of Garth Brooks' fight.

Ask the bands if those are "licensed" CDs and you may get a different perspective, at least from what I've heard.

Bands are not necessarily the best source of information because some cry "bootleg" at anything.

Sure, could it be some labels sell off licenses without band approval or worse do it and not pay them their share? Sure, but labels like Scarecrow, Icarus, the Russian one, etc have access to layout files, etc provided by the labels so money is exchanged somewhere.