The band you use to explain Prog/Power metal?

markgugs said:
Sonata Arctica is a good choice, but Dragonforce? They're completely atypical of power metal IMO.

Fast. Obnoxious. Solos that sound cool but aren't that tough. Mythical creature in the name. Vocalist with amputated testicles. :oops:

Sounds like power metal to me. :loco:

EXHIBITION is a prime example of pure Prog/Power metal. I've used their sound before to explain what one version of prog/power metal sounds like.

But I've also used bands who have been to the PPUSA festivals on mix cds I make for folks who are curious:

Therion
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Nightwish
Tad Morose
Edguy
Symphorce
Pagans Mind
Pink Cream 69
Angel Dust
J.O.P.
Manticora
Wuthering Heights

...and so on and so forth.

:kickass:

Well, my progpower jedi master scared me at first with Rhapsody and Dream Theater! :D I adapted though.....

I try to use the break them in gently approach for the handfull of people I've introduced to it. For example, I made a guy in Knoxville a compilation CD that consist of Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Edguy, and Dionysus, just to name a few. Usually, I try to introduce the person to more straight forward stuff at first, then move he/she into the more complex/over-the-top stuff from there.

IMO, if you don't like Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray and Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory, then you're not going to like prog at all!

Joe-× said:
Depends.

If it's a man, I use Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)." Long. Schlocky. Bombastic. Over the top. Self-indulgent. Operatic. And then you bought the album and the idiot made it 12 fucking minutes long. That's ProgPower.

If it's a woman, I use Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now." Same thing. ProgPower.

Bwahhaha, that's because they were both written by Jim Steinman. That Celine song basically IS a Meatloaf song (or could just as easily have been) just not sung by Mr Loaf. Steinman is just EPIC.

Personally I don't agree with how the term Power Metal is used these days. I don't see bands like Helloween and Rhapsody as being power metal. They are speed metal in my book (mostly fast tempo). Power metal has larger range of tempos (mid-to-fast) with plenty of crunching riffs. When I think (strictly) power metal, I think Tad Morose, (old) Iced Earth, Morgana Lefay, Brainstorm, etc.

I don't care much for speed metal. Never did. There is a certain point where speed and repetition ceases to be melody and just becomes noise. At which point, they've gone too far IMO. Also, I like varied tempos to my music. My faves are bands that blend prog, power, tempo and influences: Ayreon, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, Wuthering Heights, Therion, etc.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Personally I don't agree with how the term Power Metal is used these days. I don't see bands like Helloween and Rhapsody as being power metal. They are speed metal in my book (mostly fast tempo). Power metal has larger range of tempos (mid-to-fast) with plenty of crunching riffs. When I think (strictly) power metal, I think Tad Morose, (old) Iced Earth, Morgana Lefay, Brainstorm, etc.

I don't care much for speed metal. Never did. There is a certain point where speed and repetition ceases to be melody and just becomes noise. At which point, they've gone too far IMO. Also, I like varied tempos to my music. My faves are bands that blend prog, power, tempo and influences: Ayreon, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, Wuthering Heights, Therion, etc.

IMO, a band that blends speed and melody well together is Kamelot. Those guys never seem to compromise melody for what I refer to as shredding!

I agree with your post by the way.

edgeofthorns said:
IMO, a band that blends speed and melody well together is Kamelot. Those guys never seem to compromise melody for what I refer to as shredding!
DOH! I can't believe I forgot to mention Kamelot. After all, The Black Halo is probably going to land in my top 3 albums of 2005. Kamelot is one of the few speed metal bands I like. I am especially fond of Black Halo because they've toned down on the speedy songs and gone to more of a mid-tempo feel. But when I'm in a speedy mood, I still have Karma and Epica at hand.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
DOH! I can't believe I forgot to mention Kamelot. After all, The Black Halo is probably going to land in my top 3 albums of 2005. Kamelot is one of the few speed metal bands I like. I am especially fond of Black Halo because they've toned down on the speedy songs and gone to more of a mid-tempo feel. But when I'm in a speedy mood, I still have Karma and Epica at hand.

I can tell you right now that I've had The Black Halo in my top 3 for 2005 since mid-summer! :D

Center of the Universe from the Epica CD has to be one of the best metal tunes of all time! I haven't been able to get it out of my head since ProgPower V, when I first heard it!

Bryan316 said:
The Elizabeth Trilogy at the end of Karma is a perfect example of Kamelot's abilities. That last part blasts into full speed, kicks ass, and yet ties it all back up with the original theme for the closure and finale. Excellent songwriting.

I totally agree.

I live in Alabama. I just tell them "they don't sound like Skynyrd." and instantly they aren't interested.

Of course I am joking. When the time comes up for me to try and explain Prog or power metal, it depends on the age, intelligence and musical interests of the people I am talking to as far as how I approach it. Like everyone else, I mention my favorite bands often because "I" think they represent the genre best in my ear, but if the individual does have some experience with metal music I try to make correlations from classic metal bands.

Bryant

Bryant

I live in Alabama. I just tell them "they don't sound like Skynyrd." and instantly they aren't interested. Bryant

I live in Tennessee, so I can sympathize! You'll have to include AC/DC and Boston to that list though. Not that there's anything wrong with those bands, but that's about as progpower as most folks get around these here parts! :)

edgeofthorns said:
I live in Alabama. I just tell them "they don't sound like Skynyrd." and instantly they aren't interested. Bryant

I live in Tennessee, so I can sympathize! You'll have to include AC/DC and Boston to that list though. Not that there's anything wrong with those bands, but that's about as progpower as most folks get around these here parts! :)

Ha ha ha... absolutely. Those bands you listed are exactly where I would start in comparison.

AC/DC might be a "three chord" rock band, but you can compare awesome guitar tone and perfect drumming timing (trust me on the perfect timing.)
Boston.... guitar tone as well and production that is still a standard today.

Bryant