The Beginning: ORCHID

Show show much they've changed...

Orchid has ALOT of guitar lines on it, in fact the whole album is led totally by the guitars... on the later albums, more of the whole canvas of production and instruments become the music... beautiful both ways!

Silhouette is amazing. And I love the 'feel' of the whole album, like the wierd but fantastic riff after "carved on a black stone" on The Apostle in Triumph.

Anders Nordin was born to play drums :hotjump: the guitars are superb :cool: Mikael's vocals, the extraordinary sounds he projects. The ability to produce such a wild powerful sound and then a sublime 'the birds of the sun separates these dark clouds' :)
'Silhouette', I love, I picture soaring across landscapes. I love the heavy sound of the piano. Full. Wood. Dramatic.
I have been consumed by Opeth's first...more more more

Originally posted by Wolff

If you have nothing more thoughtful to add, don't bother posting. Ummm.... and your teeth are uneven... that's about it.

Whats your major malfunction buddy? where are your manners?
If you have anything more thoughtful to add, perhaps you shouldn't bother to post it, behave!

(Its better to shut your mouth and let ppl think you're stupid, than to open it and eliminate all doubts!)

Orchid started to "bloom" in my ears only a month ago... the mix of raw emotion in the vocals and musical subtlety isn't always that easy to grasp. The meandering structures took the most time I guess.

Now I've come to notice that for me, songs like In Mist... Forest... and Twilight... embody the Opeth flow like almost nothing they've done since. Those songs show me places. Despite what the band themselves makes you think, I find the transitions on Orchid very smooth and exciting. That's precisely the reason why the album sounds so advanced only when you get into it - on first listens the individual riffs may not grasp your attention. You need to get familiar with the songs themselves. I would like to say in many ways the greatest album they 've done.

As a guitarist, at first I was a bit disappointed because of the lack of those interesting chords on the later stuff, but melodically Orchid seems to go much further than Morningrise for example, and many of the harmonic changes are pure genius.

If anyone has yet to get into Orchid, a newer song like The Drapery Falls captures the same definite travelling feel. It's just a philosophy of listening...

Still Life and Blackwater Park are better than the first two albums I think. The sound of Orchid and Morningrise are a bit dry. Still Life and Blackwater Park has more harsh sound. But all of the albums are great. Musically and technically, and in every way. And the last two albums has GREAT guitar solos, better than the first two. And Orchid is a bit darker than the later albums, I think. But all in all, Opeth is the best!

from the 1 Opeth album I have, Orchid is definetily the best.

That album can be listened anywhere, anytime and under every circumstances (well, some audio equipment is recommended).
And every time it grabs me harder and harder and harder...

I guess I'm addicted to it :confused: :)

Hearse: Did you know that when Nordin was born... he had drumsticks in his hands! and he drummed with his foots the end of the baby bed all day long :D :D

Finally! Someone steps forward and confirms my suspicion. Orchid does my mind good. It's set on "pleasure" when it's playing. There isn't one part of one song that I don't completely embrace.

I think we've been over this before. I love Orchid. :devil:

"Seven milestones..."

Wolffy, when will you put your thoughts on Morningrise? I have heard you praise and analyze Orchid now for a couple of times, but personally I find Morningrise so much better that I'd like to hear your comments about it.

-Villain (serious)

Only for you my little brother (and antagonist since the good old days of DT)

I'll start working on it tonight.

ORCHID
In mist she was standing - a great start for an album.especially first 3 min.
Under the weeping moon - a wonderful song. a gerat clean vocal 7:35.
Silhouette - piano resital.nice stop after two complex songs (compLex: both; long, brutal,clean,hard,soft,fast, slow ... opeth... :)
Forest of october - one of the greatests.. just listen..
The twilight is my robe - this song deserve much more better thoughts on this forum..easily get in to my top five opeth songs.. 11min. perfection. whole song is amzing and unbelivable. but be more careful at 3:35 to 5:35.there is a meody and clean vocal and i almost cry everytime i listen it... i cannot believe and tell this song.......miracle.
Requiem - really need a break after twilight.. what a melody and guitar ha?
The Apostle in triumph - an incredible song to an incredible album.. it deserves better as twilight....

i think orchid is the best opeth album.but i cannot be sure..who can be sure when choosing a best from opeth..

:p

I just cannot get enough of THE APOSTLE IN TRIUMPH. What an entrance, I love it. I find myself singing "rain is pouring down my (now) shivering shoulders" like I am possessed :lol: ...and the sound of winds before "in this forest, where wolves cry their agony unto the moon" :) ...and that snarl Mikael gives after "I engulf the skies, the apostle in triumph" :D The drums and guitars are mouth watering but owners of the blue disc already know all this. I have this idea in my head to play the last solo on my saxophone. :rolleyes: :lol: :p I am so embarrassing.

Hearse, hahaha