the belated 2003 list

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Alright, well I'd been meaning to do this for a while and since I have the time on my hands at the moment, I figured what the hell. Here's my lists of shit that I thought was worth mentioning from 2003. I'd like to see what you all have to say about the year in review as well, so don't just read, SAY SOMETHING YOU FUCKS! Alright enough abuse, onto the lists....

FAVORITE ALBUMS (in no order)- KATATONIA-VIVA EMPTINESS
AMORPHIS-FAR FROM THE SUN
H.I.M- LOVE METAL
A PERFECT CIRCLE- THIRTEEN STEPS
OPETH- DAMNATION
MOONSPELL- THE ANTIDOTE

FAVORITE FILMS- LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING
PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN
HAGGARD

FAVORITE BOOKS- THE DAVINCI CODE by DAN BROWN
WHITE LINE FEVER by LEMMY KILMINSTER
BLACK SABBATH NEVER SAY DIE by GARRY SHARPE YOUNG
UNDERWORLD by GREG COX

FAVORITE SHOWS- SOUTH PARK
ADULT SWIM
VIVA LA BAM
HEADBANGERS BALL
AMERICAN CHOPPER

FAVORITE CONCERTS- MOONSPELL/OPETH @ HOUSE OF BLUES, CHICAGO
MOONSPELL/TYPE O NEG./CRADLE OF FILTH @
RIVIERA THEATER, CHICAGO
KISS/AEROSMITH @ TWEETER CENTER, CHICAGO
VOIVOD/SEPULTURA @ HOUSE OF BLUES, CHICAGO
SHADOWS FALL/KILLSWITCH ENGAGE/SWORN ENEMY/
VOIVOD/CRADLE OF FILTH @ 2ND STAGE OZZFEST

Also have to mention that both the New England Hardcore & Metalfest 2003 and the New Jersey Hardcore & Metalfest 2003 were great fun as well!

Okay that's all the crap I can think of for now, hah!

Dear Larry,
I am horrid at release dates. Much of what I enjoy in any given year is something I missed from 20 years prior.

Sincerely,
Greg B.

I will contribute to the list, but seeing as im moving in 4 and a half hours, i've been quite busy. Not to mention I spent lots of time today reading a new recording contract that came in. (I'll tell you guys more when I talk to you) As for everyone else, I know we keep saying we're close to signing, and when we are, new offers keep popping up. This is a top priority, and will finish it soon. Then the lawyers go at it...

I heard a little from the nwe Amorphis album and wasn't as impressed as with their last two efforts. Is it worth buying? I really like what they're doing but I'm not sure on that one. And I thought The Da Vinci Code was pretty cool. Of course he's now getting sued for stealing shit from some dude who claims he already wrote it, but meh. It was cool anyways. I thoughT Angles and Demons was better anyway. And I haven't seen the last LOTR. I guess I'll have to wait for the extended version dvd like I did with the first two.

Novembers Paul said:
I will contribute to the list, but seeing as im moving in 4 and a half hours, i've been quite busy. Not to mention I spent lots of time today reading a new recording contract that came in. (I'll tell you guys more when I talk to you) As for everyone else, I know we keep saying we're close to signing, and when we are, new offers keep popping up. This is a top priority, and will finish it soon. Then the lawyers go at it...
Please stay on topic, Paul. :D

KATATONIA-VIVA EMPTINESS
AMORPHIS-FAR FROM THE SUN
H.I.M- LOVE METAL
A PERFECT CIRCLE- THIRTEEN STEPS
OPETH- DAMNATION
MOONSPELL- THE ANTIDOTE

hm. i actually haven't heard any of those except the opeth one- which i thought was pretty cool.

here's my top 10 list that didn't make indieworkshop because i submitted it too late (forever procrastinator... i got my taxes in the mail at 8pm last night!):
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
Dense. Original. Adventuresome. This record will educate all who lay ears upon it.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Holy crap does this thing rock. Fantastic melodies, great musicianship- and that voice is just amazing. Top that off with a crystal clear Rick Rubin production and you've got a top notch record.

Cursive - The Ugly Organ
Seeing 15 year olds listen to this makes my heart melt; when I was 15, everyone listened to Vanilla Ice. It's nice to see young people enjoying good music. It also makes me feel young and hip.

Year of the Rabbit
Unlike most, I started with this record and went backwards into the Failure catalog, but regardless Ken Andrews is now one of my favorite heavier rock writers active today.

The Gathering - Souvenirs
I've followed The Gathering since Mandylion, and this is without a doubt their strongest album yet. With each step, they've made significant improvement in writing and sonic scope, and they continue to mature and forge ahead.

The Cardigans - Long Before Daylight
Melodious and more sonically varied than previous efforts, this record pushes the Cardigans past "nice and mellow" into textures unexpected. A nice surprise.

Ester Drang - Infinite Keys
Dreamy tones with cascading melodies and great climaxes. Just beautiful.

Cave In - Antenna
This major label debut for Cave In was one of my most awaited records this year, and they definitely delivered.

Ring, Cicada - Good Morning, Mr. Good
This largely instrumental record has a focus and compositional drive most similar bands let fall to the wayside.

Riddle of Steel - Python
ROCK with a capital C. A really well varied album, with some damn amazing melodies and changes that should NOT be overlooked.

Dysrhythmia - Pretest
added this on just now, but didn't hear it last yr.

Ah yeah, that Mars Volta album is amazing, you're right! However I didn't get around to actually picking it up yet, though I've heard it once in its entirety. So I couldn't really technically add it to my list but that is definitely one of the best releases of last year.

I haven't heard all of the Cave In, Dysrhythmia or Kayo Dot, but I'd definitely like to hear them all.

Also, Eric, I have the new 40 Piece Choir cd to send you, I think it's really good, better than the last cd in many ways. Get in touch with me with your mailing addy so I can send it. If I can make copies of any of the aforementioned cds I listed (Katatonia, Amorphis, etc.) then I'll send those along to you too. I think out of that whole list, the Katatonia is my favorite.

FrostGiant said:
I heard a little from the nwe Amorphis album and wasn't as impressed as with their last two efforts. Is it worth buying? I really like what they're doing but I'm not sure on that one. And I thought The Da Vinci Code was pretty cool. Of course he's now getting sued for stealing shit from some dude who claims he already wrote it, but meh. It was cool anyways. I thoughT Angles and Demons was better anyway. And I haven't seen the last LOTR. I guess I'll have to wait for the extended version dvd like I did with the first two.
I have to admit that I personally haven't gotten into "Far From The Sun" nearly as much as "Am Universum". However, it took me a while to get into that one as well, and now I love that cd, so perhaps this one will have the same effect. I do think there's enough strong material on this new cd to make it worth buying, however right now it's still only available as an import and it's a bit costly in most places I've seen. So I'd recommend just waiting until this cd gets released domestically here, which I'm told should happen soon.

I am just about to start reading Angels and Demons, actually. I know I should have read that one first, but I tend to do things backwards alot of times lol I think it's quite entertaining how The Davinci Code is selling so well and so many people are "startled" at its revelations about religion, etc. Just goes to show how much stuff can be right under the public's noses the whole time, but they're just ignorant to it even existing, heh.

And for people who really like Sabbath other than the typical Ozzy years, I do suggest checking out that book I listed by Garry Sharpe Young. It's got alot of cool info in it and it made me want to go bust out albums like "The Eternal Idol" and "Seventh Star" and get into them with a renewed interest.

Actually I read em backwards too. But Angles and Demons is awesome. Cardinals get slaughtered and what not. But what's up with this main character in his books getting hot tail? The way he portrays Langdon I see him as a super nerd. How does he get hot chicks? :) And I just started reading The Stand and all of E.A. Poe's work. I saw The Stand years back and totally fogot everything about it which is a good thing. And a few albums that stuck out in my mind from 2003 where Moonspell, Kayo Dot and Opeth-Damnation. I also liked the new Nevermore and the new Maiden (I think those were 2003, I lose track of time badly).

Albums of 2003:

Katatonia- 'Viva Emptiness'
Anathema- 'A Natural Disaster'
Opeth- 'Damnation'
Einherjer- 'Blot'
Graveland- 'The Fire of Awakening'

In no order:

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Kayo Dot - Choirs Of The Eye
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows
Evergrey - Recreation Day
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette
Wolverine - Cold Light Of Monday
The Gathering - Souvenirs

FrostGiant said:
Actually I read em backwards too. But Angles and Demons is awesome. Cardinals get slaughtered and what not. But what's up with this main character in his books getting hot tail? The way he portrays Langdon I see him as a super nerd. How does he get hot chicks? :)

Well I mean I get the idea that Langdon is supposed to be incredibly smart and maybe somewhat on the more straight-laced professor side, but he's supposed to be young and attractive and whatever. I don't know, it's fiction anyhow lol Plus I've seen some pretty fucking nerdy guys get chicks! haha

Albums of 2003:(in no order)

Anathema - a natural disaster
Katatonia - Viva emptiness
Kayo dot - Chors of the eye
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
Opeth - Damnation
Anekdoten - Gravity
Kalmah - Swampsong
Enslaved - Below the lights

Albums:

"A Twist of Fate" - John Arch
"Sphynx" - Melechesh