Heathendom
Bigelf
Dantesco
Manilla Road
Argus
Fall of the Idols
Zero Hour
The Evpatoria Report

...and Im sure there is more that I am forgetting as well as the releases that come out of thin air.

THE GREAT 2008 :headbang:
Wow... you and I could not have different tastes. Not one of those discs would be in my Top 50. You are my musical nemesis.:heh:

Zod

I already know the SMZ will rule face because I heard all the songs live at least a year ago, and holy living fuck, they were absolutely incredible. One Million Died to Make This Sound is fucking haunting.

I thought exactly the same and was extremely let down by the album in the end, the recording lacking most of the epic width and intensity of the stage rendering. Gotta let some water flow under the bridge before I come back to this.

absolutely, that song kicks off with the most KC riff they've ever written i think

paging robert fripp, robert fripp to the white courtesy telephone

so yer a fan of anekdoten - from within i see? i have gravity, love it...haven't listened to much prog lately but that album is fucking fantastic, i can't believe i've neglected to check out their other stuff so long now that i think about it

absolutely, that song kicks off with the most KC riff they've ever written i think

paging robert fripp, robert fripp to the white courtesy telephone

so yer a fan of anekdoten - from within i see? i have gravity, love it...haven't listened to much prog lately but that album is fucking fantastic, i can't believe i've neglected to check out their other stuff so long now that i think about it

Gravity is their worst one imho. From Within is my favorite but Vemod (the most KC influenced) and Nucleus (the heaviest) are right behind. I havent given the newest one from last year too much attention yet. I fucking LOVE Anekdoten and Scandinavean Symphonic Prog Rock in general. Check out Anglagard and Wobbler while you're at it.

And about TMV "Goliath"...absolutely. But, I am referring more to the part that starts around the 4:00 mark.

10.jpg

Disc 1

1: Circle

2: Beneath This Face

3: Quickening

4: Caucus of Mind

Disc 2

1: Silence

2: The Order of Destiny

3: Ignotum Per Ignotius

Over 100 minutes of new material.

Out May 19th on Season of Mist

---

Im not the hugest of fans (they have their moments) but that coverart rules face!!

new mars volta is pretty damn good, ridin' king crimson's jock like there's no tomorrow ftw

Haha, the guy has read every page in Fripp's playbook, with some more discipline (reference obviously intended), judicious editing (processing everything into oblivion on every song whether it works or not gets almost as annoying as Cedric's refusal to shut up), this album would be worthy of Doomy's spooging reaction...don't get me wrong, I think most of it kicks, especially the first three and last three tracks.
As for the new Mt. Zion, I've heard the new one through archive.org shows and the song NAD mentioned and the title track (here judging on the studio version) are probably their best vocal-dominated material yet.

The Cancer Conspiracy - Omega
So, almost 5 years after they split up, they release a new disc. Apparently they recorded it a while back, but it never got released because the label went bankrupt. Long story short, it's great, but not as almightily amazing as The Audio Medium was. A good opener for instrumental music in 2008.

Virgin Black - Requiem Fortissimo
The heavy, death-doom album of the trilogy. Another good Virgin Black disc, although I think this is kind of like when Opeth did Deliverance and Damnation. The 2 disparate styles work well in tandem, but having them fully separated doesn't work quite as well. Still, the result is better than Opeth's try, IMO. I like it.

I'm sad to say that Testament - The formation of damnation is a bit of a let-down. I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 after 5 listens.