The best electronic music samples?

So it's pretty much the same idea as when we sample replace drums? Just augment and layer until you get what you want?

Yep.

What do you commonly do to alter the Stylus grooves? That's one idea that hasn't quite cemented in my mind yet. This thing about grooves instead of you physically programming each hit you want to play. How do you deal with that, given the lack of fine control?

You can pretty much "regroove" the shit out the loops. Lots of control there. It's not only a loop machine, it's also a sample library. (one shots from the loops) The loops are all sliced up. You can import your own loops using recycle. I believe it's called rex format. (been a long time so I could be wrong)

For me I like a sampler. Easy.

Electronic music pretty much comes down to the mix in most cases. So you get to play engineer and producer/writer at the same time. Fun.

I've always liked Battery 3 for this! Easy to load/layer samples and dead easy to assign them to MIDI notes (midi learn).

Also, lots of ADSR control, etc.

I've never been a fan of messing w/loops. It makes ME feel like a cheater for some reason, haha. But, in my mind I know it's not cheating, I just like to do it the more manual way I guess.

Alot of time I like to program 2 seperate beats (at the same BPM) but using different sounds for each. Use one as the main and the other to augment and add groove.

I wish I had all the electronica tracks I used to write :(

Thanks for all your input!

zvish: I know of that site from his hardware reverb IRs! Never thought about looking for samples there.

charlie: Yeah I'm kinda with you there. I think I'm too much from an organic music background and it feels like having something arpeggiate or play a fill for you is a bit like cheating. It seems to be common practice in the genre though, so whatever. I used Battery 1 back in the DFH days, but maybe it's time to revisit for ulterior purposes!

kev: Yeah those Vengeance samples sound like the shit. Basically the Slates of that style - exactly what I was looking for in terms of quick fixes. I understand that in the long term these will likely hamper my development, but for the moment to get these sounds on the fly for production and mix reasons it's ideal. Did you use the Vengeance samples for all the melodic lines too or was there a synth of your own involved?

Thanks a heap guys, you can consider my question answered. Do as you please with the thread! (did I hear someone say tits?)

Ermz, I recall I used Kick, Bass, Hatts, and claps from the couple of banks I have. The melody lines were zeta/vanguard and a little help from v-station, just like basshunter uses actually lol.

here's how you use it properly haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great man, thanks a ton. It's good to get inside the head of somebody that produces this kind of music and the go-to processes.

Shame he's using reason, but all of that stuff is relative to using a DAW with 3rd party plug-ins anyway. My biggest issue is getting around whichever sampler I'm going to use and getting the most of it. Speaking of which, does Battery do loops, or is it solely a sampler? Are there any tools aside from Stylus that have decent step sequencers?

Okay, here come some more questions on the back of those videos...

That tape saturator/distortion plug he uses. What would be the rough equivalent outside of Reason? I imagine something like PSP MixSaturator would be too gentle. Perhaps iZotope Trash, Vintage Warmer or something of the like would work? Would the Audio Damage Kombinat work well as a 'go-to' synth distorter/flavor enhancer?

Those swinging grooves and such that he uses in video 3 - how can I get around to using those myself? Would Cubase have its own stock collection for the sequencer? Would some samplers have that stuff built in? From what I'm gathering here is that some old hardware units were liked for their particular rhythmic characteristics.

does Battery do loops, or is it solely a sampler? Are there any tools aside from Stylus that have decent step sequencers?

Stylus doesn't have a step sequencer. It exports the loops as single midi notes to your DAW sequencer/piano role/ect after you're done fucken it up. (if I remember correctly, I stopped using it some time ago. Not for me)

Battery I never used.

I like to use battery for electronic drums, the basic sample library is good, but you can get the Native Instrumens Synthetic Drums for it. I like it very much.
Here is some unfinished music if you interested
The drums were the NI synthetic drums 2, and the synths were Reason 4. I programmed the drums from single "hits", its not a loop or anything. Just a Battery kit. I don't like to use loops, because i can't "control" them so much like the individual samples. I like to build beats from scratch, because it's fun. :)
And Battery doesn't do loops i think. I always used it as a sampler.

I'm uploading a example I did last year for a project I was on ( it's electro, so, no metal)
All the drums are vengeance electro samples, kicks and snares placed directly on the arrange page, with some delay to make them "clash" a little bit with the kick and make the rhythm a little bit more lively.
The high hats are samples sequenced in ultrabeat, every fx is placed on the arrange page ( or made up that way)

I put this in case you find it useful, or to crucify someone :p

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2109616/311008.mp3