The Best Live Albums thread

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Nothing better than a killer live album (preferably not the "sounding like an actual studio album"-kind with tons of post-production overdubs and overboard "studio"-sound (reamp, remix)) with a killer yet live sound capturing a killer performance by a band at the top of his game spanning through a wide and diverse array of songs of an amazing discography (phew... talk about a neverending sentence) :

(I'm talking about heavy music (from grindcore to punk rock basically) here mostly btw, but it means no "alice in chains/nirvana awesome unplugged albums so fuck it and let's not limit this to heavy music)

(some of the albums cited below are not a real/entire live set but a compilation of songs off various live sets, but they're awesome nonetheless)

My favs. on the top of my mind :

OFFICIAL :

Pantera - live 101 proof

In Flames - the tokyo showdown

Death - Vivus! (Live In L.A. – 1998 / Live In Eindhoven – 1998)

Exodus - another lesson in violence

Pearl Jam - (all of the live albums they've put out are awesome, and there is a LOT)

Alice In Chains - MTV unplugged

Nirvana - MTV unplugged

earth crisis - the oath that keeps me free

pennywise - live at the key club

morbid angel - entangled in chaos

sick of it all - live in a dive

biohazard - no holds barred

cannibal corpse - live cannibalism

stuck mojo - hvy1

Joe Satriani - live in San Francisco

Slipknot - disasterpieces

Alice in chains - Live

Cryptopsy - live in quebec

Suffocation - live in quebec

Gojira - the link alive

Deviate - one by one (live in Japan)

NON OFFICIAL :

sepultura - live in minneapolis (93' ? 94' ? or 95' ?) -> this is my fav., i wish they released a proper official version (tracks are spread throughout various EPs...)

COOL LIVE ALBUM BUT LACKING THE LAST 1% OF AWESOMENESS :

GOD FORBID - Beneath the Scars Of Glory and Progression

Machine head - hellalive

sepultura - under a pale grey sky (this one is great but not awesome, especially compared to the "live in minneapolis" i talked about in the OP. There are a lot of sloppy parts and/or not in tune guitars/bass, etc... Max sounds great but not a the top of his game. I LOVE the Cro Mags cover featuring the Strife singer at the end of the set tho'.)

Immolation - bringing down the world (live in eindhoven)

vision of disorder - live in new york (hardly any songs off the "imprint" album which sucks !!!)

killswitch engage - (set this) world ablaze (great performance/sound, but too repetitive IMO))

TOO BAD THERE IS SOMETHING FUCKED UP IN THIS LIVE ALBUM, BECAUSE OTHERWISE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME :

Down - diary of a mad band (some really sloppy vocals (offkey) in a lot of parts)

Slipknot - 9.0 voluminal (sloppy drums and vocals performances, and a clicky/samply kick drum sound, whereas the songs off "volume 3 : the subliminal verses" are sick)

chimaira - coming alive (the sloppy drums on some fast double bass drums parts (huge slowdowns))

Pissing Razors (something kinda bugged me but i forgot what :) )

I WISH IT EXISTED (A PROPER OFFICIAL LIVE ALBUM) / IT EXISTS ALREADY BUT I DIDN'T KNOW OF IT OR HAVE YET TO LISTEN TO IT :

Merauder

Madball

Downset

E Town Concrete

Dying Fetus

Misery Index

Decapitated

Suffocation (recent show)

Textures

Soilwork

Hatesphere

Length Of Time

Deftones

Body Count

Glassjaw

Obscenity

Severe Torture

Carcass

Nile

Wisdom In Chains

Terror

Suicidal Tendencies

Earth Crisis (a recent show)

Animosity

Fear Factory (but Burton C. Bell needs to take clean singing vocals lessons first)

Crowbar

36 crazyfists (i think they did an official dvd but it sounded sloppy AFAIR)

Will Haven

Millencolin (recent performance, but they have to get their shit together and do a killer perfomance, unlike their live shows these days)

New Found Glory

Set Your Goals

Pride and glory

Anthrax (recent performance with John Bush please)

Slipknot (recent performance with a tight performance please)

Death Before Dishonor

H20

Skarhead

Leeway

Biohazard

Eyeless

Gojira (recent performance)

Kickback

Angel Crew

Backfire

Alice In Chains (recent show with Will Duvall)

Comes With The Fall

Now shoot yours !

EDIT : updating the shit out of my list now and then as always

pantera "101 proof" is def the best of all times!

followed closely by metallica "live shit" and testament 'live in london"

rage against the machine - battle of mexico city
nirvana - unplugged
alice in chains - unplugged
sepultura - under a pale grey sky
tool - salival
lamb of god - killadelphia

Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts.

Shows true talent, there was 0 overdubs unlike MANY "live" records, and everything is played nearly flawless. Awesome setlist too.

Sting's Live in Berlin DVD is the best one I own.

ok not heavy music (well fuck it i'm gonna extend the list to non-heavy :) ) by any means but i love the dude and his music.

Is it a recent performance or not ? Not a huge fan of the recent stuff he has pulled, but i love what he's done till' "mercury falling" or something.

sepultura - under a pale grey sky

This one is great but not awesome, especially compared to the "live in minneapolis" i talked about in the OP. There are a lot of sloppy parts and/or not in tune guitars/bass, etc... Max sounds great but not a the top of his game.

I LOVE the Cro Mags cover featuring the Strife singer at the end of the set tho'.

Slipknot (recent performance with a tight performance please)

The one from Donnington in 06 is really good man.

Some of my faves:

Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio (one of the best live DVD's ever imo)
Arch Enemy - Tyrants Of The Rising Sun
Avenged Sevenfold - Live at LBC
Sum 41 - Live in Tokyo

Queen Rock Montreal. The Blu Ray audio/video kills any other live video I've seen and makes most of the bands listed here sound like that one highschool band covering Avenged Sevenfold on youtube.

Not a big fan of live albums in audio, but a huge fan of live Dvds. I don´t know why, but having the image of the band actually playing seems to give sense meaning to the audio which is almost always worse than simply making a playlist of the all the album versions of those songs in your iPod. I think a live concert is much more than just the sound/performance (although it is the most important part, cause without that it´ll always be a total failure), and a live DVD is the captured moment of a band in that time period, more than just an awesome setlist of songs.

That said, the best Live DVD I´ve seen is definitely Arcturus Shipwrecked in Oslo, everything on it is perfect, plus IMO the live "real instruments" versions of the weirdly produced Sham mirrors and La Masquerade Infernale kick so much more ass than the studio versions, plus Vortex absolutely outdoes the previous vocalists. Besides the performance, the stage presence, the costumes, the vibe, everything seems like the ultimate live show to me. I don´t know maybe playing in your country, the place where you started 20+ years ago and being able to speak to the audience in the native of both the band and the audience gives a special feeling to the concert?

Besides that, I love Opeth`s Roundhouse tapes, I prefer it over Lamentations because honestly the sound of Lamentations is too "perfect" for a live album, while Roundhouse tapes (and live at the royal albert Hall too) conserves a very "real" feel to it. No offense intended towards our master Andy Sneap, but I don´t think his style fit Opeth´s music at all (judging from both Lamentations and Deliverance), it sounds great but doesn´t favour Opeth´s music IMHO, Jens Bogren really knows how to make a band of that genre breathe much better.

This one is great but not awesome, especially compared to the "live in minneapolis" i talked about in the OP. There are a lot of sloppy parts and/or not in tune guitars/bass, etc... Max sounds great but not a the top of his game.

I LOVE the Cro Mags cover featuring the Strife singer at the end of the set tho'.

i love the little fuckups here and there...makes it feel like actually hearing a live band

and the fact that it was max's last show with them gives it that extra little bit of emotional weight

ok not heavy music (well fuck it i'm gonna extend the list to non-heavy :) ) by any means but i love the dude and his music.

Is it a recent performance or not ? Not a huge fan of the recent stuff he has pulled, but i love what he's done till' "mercury falling" or something.

Yeah, it's a 2010 performance IIRC, from when he toured with the London Philharmonic.